CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Cam Peavy

Profile:
Wendler 5/3/1 Final Plan + Diet Questions

This is a continuation from another thread.

If you didn't catch up on that thread, here is where I stand:
  • 18 Years Old; I'm roughly 150 lbs, 5'9", around 10% BF. Currently follow a strict paleo diet (Only supplement I take is Fish Oil)
  • I am looking to increase size and strength (No Set Goal #). What I'm not looking to do is bulk and put on 30 lbs in 2 months. 15 lbs in 6 months? Possible goal.
  • I have chosen Wendler's 5/3/1 (Boring But Big) Program
  • The only supplement I plan on adding is Creatine

I read the 134 page eBook on the program, and like what I see. I'm going to eat a lot, and then more. I'm going to stick to the program for a while as long as slow but steady results form. My questions are:
  • Would it be beneficial for my goals to add in a Power Clean and/or Snatch into the program?
  • Conditioning is required 3-4 days / week. What would be the most effective use of my time for this? Hill Sprints? I don't have access to a prowler, sled, or weighted vest.
  • Wendler recommends a 50g Protein Shake with every meal, on top of 30-50g of protein (4-6 meals a day, depending on person). Should I stick with this or drop the shake size down?
  • Each meal will consist of a good source of carbs, such as potatoes, rice, and oats. What other sources should I add, if any?
  • Whole Milk. Although I don't think GOMAD is for my specific goals, would implementing some into my diet help or no?
  • One main idea that is purposed in the book is waking up in the middle of the night and drinking a protein shake. Is this optimal or no?
  • Are there any other supplements I should consider?

I'm a freshman in college. Getting healthy food is fairly easy, but the only problems I have are that I cannot cook eggs via stove top.

I hope I covered everything that is needed to answer any / all of these questions. Looking for any feedback, just need advice. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Cam Peavy : 11-08-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Wendler 5/3/1 Final Plan + Diet Questions

No need for the power cleans or snatches.

Do hill sprints 2xweek and either do light/moderate cardio for 20-30 minutes or a light metcon/complex (barbell or kb) on the other 2 days.

The shake with a good meal would be overkill. But my guess is Wendler's Wisdom is that most people don't eat perfect and having the shake will guarantee calories and protein.

If you are getting enough protein the milk is not necessary, but may be an easy source to get calories and protein. How does your body tolerate milk?

If you eat enough protein during the day, don't do the midnight shake. If you are not gaining weight on the program then consider it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Cam Peavy

Profile:

I don't have access to KB's at the gym I go to.. Any suggestions on light WODs I should do?

Should the hill sprints / light metcon be on main lift days or off days?

I'm going to see if I can actually consume 150g of whole food protein in a day.. If I'm having issues with that, I'll start adding shakes.

I have really cut out milk, not because I couldn't tolerate it, but because I went Paleo and it wasn't in the diet.

I went from an extremely chubby 172 lbs to a small 135 and now finally around 150 which is why it was cut out. I didn't bother experimenting and putting it back into my diet.

*Original Post edited with new question*

Last edited by Cam Peavy : 11-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I usually do sprints/prowler work the day after lower body strength work OR after the strength work.

I'd do the light WOD's either after the upper body work or the day after.

Sun-Squat
Mon-Sprint
Tues-Bench
Wed-WOD
TH-Deadlift
Fri-Sprint in the AM, Press in the PM
Sat-Light WOD

You can sub DB's for KBs.
If wods are hard to program you can do some HIIT cardio instead.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Cam Peavy

Profile:

Any recommendations on the WODs? Not sure how difficult it would be to program them in, as they are going to be light.. just want your opinion.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Wendler talks about it in his 2nd edition of 5/3/1. Sorry I lent my copy to a buddy don't have it handy for his recommendations.

Typically the heavier you go the shorter it should be. Avoid the long chipper most of the time.

Most of the time when you blend strength with metcons you want to keep most of the WODs under 10-12 minutes. Also be wise to the rest of your programming, so if you are squatting or deadlifting in a day or so don't hit a WOD with tons of deadlifts or really heavy oly work.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
Cam Peavy

Profile:

I've got the 2nd Edition book, I'll go take another look. I know he makes a couple comments on it, but he doesn't get too specific. Thanks for the advice Robert.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
Cam Peavy

Profile:

It won't let me edit, but:

Beta-Alanine... Yes or No?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Doesn't matter.
It's a marginal factor.

If you are following Wendler's Program focus on the big things. Consistent heavy training with brief but intense conditioning coupled with quality food and protein.

I think we can all be guilty focusing on the little things when we need to spend most of our time on the big ones.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Michael Dries

Profile:

I'm going to boil this down to my own thoughts, take what you want from them.

1. You're 18 years old, 10% (visible unflexed abs?) and in college. Lift heavy and eat a ton.
2. Eating healthy is good but being strict paleo while in college is a bad idea. Have fun dude, you only get 4 years of this.
3. BBB is a great program, don't over do it with conditioning. Maybe skip breakfast on your off days and don't eat until lunch, use this time to walk to class or do some fasted walking.
4. If you're noticing fat gain (measure your waist; the mirror, water weight and your mind can play tricks on you) do short intense conditioning once or twice a week but make sure it doesn't impact your next training day.
5. Have fun, lift heavy and enjoy your youth, you only get it once. There's plenty of time to nit-pick your food when you get older. ;-)
6. That being said, if you've noticed you don't do well with certain foods, (I for one get acne with dairy) then avoid them, but otherwise enjoy. A big'ol pizza, chinese food or just a ton of paleo friendly foods (sweet potatos and olive/coconut oil anyone?) the night before heavy squat and 5x10 dead lifts helps every once in a while.

Last edited by Michael Dries : 11-09-2013 at 04:32 PM.