CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
CrossFit Resort - If I build it, will they come?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96157915@N05/9823406374/

So I pitched this one on reddit, and it is getting some positive heat and has been the top /crossfit trend in the last two days.

Here is more info:
Upon your WODcation check in: Meet with your coach for the weekend, he/she will assign you a suitable program for your goals for the weekend!! Want to learn double unders? Want to work on lifts? Just starting CrossFit? This is your Coach! Let them know! Your coach will assign you some goals, based on your needs. Your coach will check in with you during your stay to see how things are going.

FACILITY:

40 Full Hookup RV spots 50 Tent sites

Pro shop, Paleo Cafe, 3 Class rooms, Garden, Beer Garden, Restrooms/Showers, HotTubs, BMI tub, Massage,

5 Fitness Arenas -Shuttle to Rope field -Oly Platforms -Super Matted -Sand Pit -Kids Fitness area

1 mile trail loop, with optional paracourse / obstacle elements. Local hiking, and biking trails

ACCOMMODATIONS:

You can enjoy full hookups in you RV, rent a mini VIP Cabin, tent camp, or drop in for the day. Each site would include parking, a lifting platform (equipment can be checked out at the Pro Shop), fire pit, picnic table and Wi-Fi. Showers, Restrooms and Spa are available.

WORKING OUT: Wods- Enjoy early morning, midday, afternoon or evening (lit stadium) WODs. Kids classes and care make it so parents can safely leave kids, to go WOD. Keep track of your performance through the jumbotron that lists current WOD times, as well as, weekly, monthly, and annual records.

Clinics- Timed between WODs, are clinics and workshops. Work on your oly skills, nutrition, gymnastics, with coaches and nutritionists before your next WOD. Book private training, private programing, and private nutrition courses as desired.

Retreats- Spend up to a few weeks in 'camp' preparing for the open, regionals, or the games. Or, just get away with your buddies for the weekend and be a part of the weekly WOD challenge!

ENTERTAINMENT:

Day - Watch special guest appearances and competitions. Participate in team and individual competitions. Join the wine tour.

Evening - Set up with family and friends in the grass on a warm summer evening with a glass of wine or cool water to watch previous CrossFit competitions on the jumbo tron. Join us for the 'big BB-Q', an all camp meal of grass fed beef and greens.

COMPETITIONS:

There are two open competitions a year, followed by a semi-final, then a final competition. Grand prize for top performing male and female is $10,000 worth of endorsements and sponsorships.

EVENTS:

Celebrity Appearances. Enjoy a VIP experience at a seminar, or WOD with your favorite CrossFit icon.
This CrossFit specific facility with unmatched parking, permanent athletic structures, and media backbone makes it ideal for your own Event!!

RATES (subject to change)(these do not include VIP services): 'Drop in' Rates per family are $250 a night for hookups, ($200 for non) include all seminars, wods, and competitions. 'Unlimited Overnight Week' is $1500 (per family). 'Individual unlimited day' use is $100 a day or $500 a mo.

Cheers! All the very best.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Theresa Stephens

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Resort - If I build it, will they come?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96157915@N05/9823406374/

So I pitched this one on reddit, and it is getting some positive heat and has been the top /crossfit trend in the last two days.

Here is more info:
Upon your WODcation check in: Meet with your coach for the weekend, he/she will assign you a suitable program for your goals for the weekend!! Want to learn double unders? Want to work on lifts? Just starting CrossFit? This is your Coach! Let them know! Your coach will assign you some goals, based on your needs. Your coach will check in with you during your stay to see how things are going.

FACILITY:

40 Full Hookup RV spots 50 Tent sites

Pro shop, Paleo Cafe, 3 Class rooms, Garden, Beer Garden, Restrooms/Showers, HotTubs, BMI tub, Massage,

5 Fitness Arenas -Shuttle to Rope field -Oly Platforms -Super Matted -Sand Pit -Kids Fitness area

1 mile trail loop, with optional paracourse / obstacle elements. Local hiking, and biking trails

ACCOMMODATIONS:

You can enjoy full hookups in you RV, rent a mini VIP Cabin, tent camp, or drop in for the day. Each site would include parking, a lifting platform (equipment can be checked out at the Pro Shop), fire pit, picnic table and Wi-Fi. Showers, Restrooms and Spa are available.

WORKING OUT: Wods- Enjoy early morning, midday, afternoon or evening (lit stadium) WODs. Kids classes and care make it so parents can safely leave kids, to go WOD. Keep track of your performance through the jumbotron that lists current WOD times, as well as, weekly, monthly, and annual records.

Clinics- Timed between WODs, are clinics and workshops. Work on your oly skills, nutrition, gymnastics, with coaches and nutritionists before your next WOD. Book private training, private programing, and private nutrition courses as desired.

Retreats- Spend up to a few weeks in 'camp' preparing for the open, regionals, or the games. Or, just get away with your buddies for the weekend and be a part of the weekly WOD challenge!

ENTERTAINMENT:

Day - Watch special guest appearances and competitions. Participate in team and individual competitions. Join the wine tour.

Evening - Set up with family and friends in the grass on a warm summer evening with a glass of wine or cool water to watch previous CrossFit competitions on the jumbo tron. Join us for the 'big BB-Q', an all camp meal of grass fed beef and greens.

COMPETITIONS:

There are two open competitions a year, followed by a semi-final, then a final competition. Grand prize for top performing male and female is $10,000 worth of endorsements and sponsorships.

EVENTS:

Celebrity Appearances. Enjoy a VIP experience at a seminar, or WOD with your favorite CrossFit icon.
This CrossFit specific facility with unmatched parking, permanent athletic structures, and media backbone makes it ideal for your own Event!!

RATES (subject to change)(these do not include VIP services): 'Drop in' Rates per family are $250 a night for hookups, ($200 for non) include all seminars, wods, and competitions. 'Unlimited Overnight Week' is $1500 (per family). 'Individual unlimited day' use is $100 a day or $500 a mo.

Cheers! All the very best.
Haha! This is so funny that you just posted this because I just woke up from a nap and had a dream that I went to a CrossFit resort for vacation. When I woke up, I thought, "I hope someone creates something like that. It would be awesome!" (I'm a new affiliate owner, so I have CF on the brain wayyyy too much these days.)

One thing I would note is that you could probably get the rates down lower if you were to do sponsorships with companies that want to target CF'ers.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Cool idea. Not something I'd invest my money in.

Plus, when I travel, its to relax, maybe a single workout; not pay for the opportunity to do so daily.

My 2c.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Tim Retzik

Profile:

Who,is your target demographic?
Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

a Box in bali did a 'ninja' retreat for a few weeks, you might want to speak to them.

as much as i hope you do this, from a business perspective, its going to be very seasonal and i'm not sure how much people would be willing to pay, or how far they'd be willing to travel...it might make more sense to do a deal with a local hotel/motel for accommodation for example.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Just like people say to start your box in your garage to get a feel for it, start at an existing facility and try one or two weeks. Then go from there based on response.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

I love the concept. What state would this be in? Temperate climate would be key.

Did you do the artwork yourself?
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
Mike Doehla

Profile:

I saw that post. It's not really getting positive responses. I feel like this just cannot work and most people feel the same. I don't mean to be negative but this "sport" is way too new and not popular enough for this to be successful. It would cost you a ton of money and would literally take a decade to a profit.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Sounds like a cool idea, but don't think it would pencil out cost wise. How much do you figure your set up costs would be? A facility that size would need a decent sized staff to operate and maintain.

I'd rather take my $1500 and go to Mexico all inclusive.

Is it possible you could scale down your idea and maybe rent out a group campsite and do the cooking, competition, training,etc?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Maybe you could just have a resort with an affiliate on it and have it be a part of an exclusive package. The draw would be if you could manage to hire Games athletes or celebrity coaches to run it for you.