CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:
Split jerk weaker than clean and jerk...

Today I did the Split jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 WOD. About three weeks ago I hit a new max on Clean and Jerk (195), so I figured today I'd shoot for 200-210 range for a new jerk max. However, I wasn't even close. I couldnt get 175 above my head. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this kind of setback? A few more data points:

- Yesterday I hit shoulders pretty hard with the third week of my Wendler cycle military press (95x5, 110x3, 125x3), followed by the 21-15-9 DB hang squat clean / handstand push-ups WOD.

- I felt like I warmed up enough for today's Split jerk, doing a few rounds of overhead squats, strict press, and split jerks at lower weights (95-135).

- My reps for the jerk WOD were 155-165-175f-175f-165-165-175f

- About 10 days ago I was able to do 175x5 push jerks in the strict/push press/push jerk WOD.

I felt like I was lacking explosiveness from my hips during today's WOD. Perhaps I didn't have the explosiveness or strength because I was "fresh" just doing the jerks, instead of getting the heart pumping and the muscles working like I did during my clean and jerk max or last week's push jerks? Or maybe my shoulders are just taxed? I really tried to focus on explosiveness with the hips to get the weight moving but it wasn't happening.

I'm a little discouraged that I couldn't at least tie my jerk max of 195. Looking for advice...
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: Split jerk weaker than clean and jerk...

Sometimes we just don't hit the same #'s

I wouldn't worry about it especially if you worked your shoulders hard.

Lots of things could have played a role (not racking bar right on your rack, explosiveness, muscle fatigue, etc).

I've had days I hit 275x8 on my squats and 2 days later i hit 335x14

The day of the 275 I just didn't feel it...

If your really wanting to test that max, give yourself a day off, then come back and hit it again.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yeah, I'd say it's just an aberration. Some days I can go in and clean & jerk 110kg no problem and go off to rack jerks and bomb 105 or even 100.

Weightlifting movements are so technique based that if you have one little abnormal hitch you can be totally off all day, even if your other strength work goes fine.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Blaise Davis

Profile:

+1 from those guys ^^^^^
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

Could be a technique issue. You seem to be theorizing that your failed jerks were due to shoulders being fatigued from presses. But the jerk, when done correctly, is not about pressing strength, it is about being explosive with the legs and being very quick with the feet. You have got to be quick, dropping your center of gravity down to catch in the lunge.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

On days my shoulders are fatigued, I tend to jerk for ****. Snatch not so big of a problem then.

While it is about the hip dip and drive, you still need to push under the bar to lock out.

Maybe if you push/squat jerk, you can get away with tired arms if you can get under to near lockout.

But I suck at those, so its moot.