CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Blakely Dye

Profile:
Overhead Squat help

Hey everybody,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to do an overhead squat. When I squat I can't help but bring the bar forward, or if I keep it back my heels come off the ground. I'm sure someone has had this trouble before. What is the best way to attack this? Thanks

SGT Blakely Dye
US Army
Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Overhead Squat help

Could be some of the following, to name a few.
poor thoracic spine extension, poor shoulder mobility, poor scapula stability, poor core stability, poor ankle mobility

If you can squat with your legs on the wall, and back flat on the floor, with your arms overhead; it's likely NOT a mobility issue.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Michael Pollak

Profile:

I had this problem.... My front and back squat were very good...OH , not so much

Scapular mobility and strength and mostly very tight hip flexors

There are tons of hip and shoulder/scapular mobility stretches ( here is a basic link http://www.laurensfitness.com/2013/0...xor-stretches/ )

Work on this three- four X week and OH squat with PVC and stretch a black band out into a snack grip and practice OH squats.... It won't come fast, took me a month just to do the bar after starting

Keep at it.... I know what anego blow it can be
Old 08-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Brian Neal Carpenter

Profile:

Which base do you work out at in Ktown? I'm at Ramstein. I'd be willing to meet up and work on form stuff with you at Ramstein or Vogelweh. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Kevin Cornell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakely Dye View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm having a hell of a time trying to do an overhead squat. When I squat I can't help but bring the bar forward, or if I keep it back my heels come off the ground. I'm sure someone has had this trouble before. What is the best way to attack this? Thanks

SGT Blakely Dye
US Army
Blake you need to have someone partner stretch with you to get you into the right positions. I can put a video of it up on my YouTube instructional page if you would like?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Its a shoulder mobility issue. I have 6 screws in my shoulders which makes me do the same thing on OHS. I cant fix my shoulder ROM so i am screwed unless i do them on my toes and then it pushes my hips forward and my shoulders back and i can do them.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Its a shoulder mobility issue. I have 6 screws in my shoulders which makes me do the same thing on OHS. I cant fix my shoulder ROM so i am screwed unless i do them on my toes and then it pushes my hips forward and my shoulders back and i can do them.
For you it is.....

How do you know it's not poor thoracic spine extension? Or overactive pec minor? Or inhibited mid traps? Or....

Truth is, we're all just guessing. You can try to do what other say, and if it doesn't get better....they were wrong. If it does, but it wasn't the cause, it will most likely manifest itself to another joint shortly.

Not saying I know what it is, but I know with 100% certainty, that you cannot fix a stability issue, with a mobility answer. And vice versa.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Blakely Dye

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cornell View Post
Blake you need to have someone partner stretch with you to get you into the right positions. I can put a video of it up on my YouTube instructional page if you would like?
I'd like to see that. Im determined to do the move.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Kevin Cornell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakely Dye View Post
I'd like to see that. Im determined to do the move.
Just message me on my YouTube page and Ill be sure to put it up. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujw0Ydt4KOw