CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Feeling weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T Johnson View Post
I am training for more than one goal... So i mix crossfit, strength training, and weightlifting into one program. I don't agree with everything with crossfit, but it is awesome.
There are plenty of CF-style programs that do all those things and prevent inexperienced people from experiencing minimal results from trying to create their own programs. You're not the first person who's ever wanted to get better at strength and conditioning at the same time.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #22
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

Yes of course lol... I agree. What would you recommend I do to be able to work out this long every day. I only have a month til boot camp.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Have you listened to any of the half dozen people who have pointed out that more is not necessarily better when it comes to training?

I just finished up 7 years in the Marine Corps and never trained anywhere near as much as you claim to. It's just not necessary and is often counterproductive.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #24
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
I don't always do the same thing every day... Actually I never had duplicated a workout or couplet... I spent 3 1/2 hours the other day trying to just get a muscle-up.
Well I haven't heard anything concrete defining your current levels of fitness/strength except for this. If I've been training 3 hours plus a day, metcons and strength, I would hope I had the strength to do a muscle up.

If you are at a level needing 3 hours of training a day to boost your work capacity, I'd think you'd have some solid strength and WOD numbers. Do you do most WODs as prescribed?

With you coming from a wrestling background, my guess is you have a lot of strength endurance and body strength hence enjoying the 3 hour workouts. But if you want to feed strength, less is usually better. Once again, maybe I'm underestimating your level of fitness, and maybe you are taking 5-10 minutes between lifts in your strength training because of your level of strength, but by reading the other posts I don't get that feeling.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

I understand that 3 hours is most of the time an overload. However, I lift because I like it. Im not huge or gigantic, but only 165# and 5'10. I most of the couples I do are for 3-4 sets. 2-3min of rest between each.I don't want to be benching twice my body weight or anything. I want to be able to control my body weight easily and have plenty of endurance. Im not trying to also imply that I do lifts for a complete 3 hours. After doing the sets, resting, a 15min break, warmup, and a cool down. I lift every rep as intense as I can. I have read and understood what you guys have said, but im not changing how long I workout. I will change how or what I do to prepare. No offense meant.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #26
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

"What I'm doing isn't working, and I may even be sliding backward, but I'm not going to change."

Sure. Whatever. So why did you ask for advice?

Katherine
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Maybe you can help us understand your basic training goal. You say you want to get stronger and look good. 3 hours of training won't help with strength. It might lean you out more but probably with some muscle loss.

You don't want to bench double body weight, which is fine, but the path to more strength is still the same. Maybe you mean you want more strenght endurance? Keep your bodyweight low and be able to do lots of bodyweight reps? 165 at 5'10 is on the small side which might make sense if you are into Parkour.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #28
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I understand that 3 hours is most of the time an overload. However, I lift because I like it. Im not huge or gigantic, but only 165# and 5'10. I most of the couples I do are for 3-4 sets. 2-3min of rest between each.I don't want to be benching twice my body weight or anything. I want to be able to control my body weight easily and have plenty of endurance. Im not trying to also imply that I do lifts for a complete 3 hours. After doing the sets, resting, a 15min break, warmup, and a cool down. I lift every rep as intense as I can. I have read and understood what you guys have said, but im not changing how long I workout. I will change how or what I do to prepare. No offense meant.
Why wouldn't you want to bench 2x your bodyweight? Being strong and being conditioned aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not saying it's likely you'll ever get there, but why wouldn't you set your goals high?

As for the second part in bold.....THE WAY YOU'RE TRAINING ISN'T DOING YOU ANY GOOD. YOU'RE WELL PAST THE POINT OF SEEING DIMINISHING RETURNS AND ARE IN FACT GOING BACKWARDS.

But sure, go ahead and be stubborn and prove us wrong. Drop us a line when you get shin splints, a stress fracture, or some kind of joint or tendon overuse injury three weeks into boot camp. I only spent three years training recruits at MCRD San Diego, what would I know.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #29
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Why wouldn't you want to bench 2x your bodyweight? Being strong and being conditioned aren't mutually exclusive. I'm not saying it's likely you'll ever get there, but why wouldn't you set your goals high?

As for the second part in bold.....THE WAY YOU'RE TRAINING ISN'T DOING YOU ANY GOOD. YOU'RE WELL PAST THE POINT OF SEEING DIMINISHING RETURNS AND ARE IN FACT GOING BACKWARDS.

But sure, go ahead and be stubborn and prove us wrong. Drop us a line when you get shin splints, a stress fracture, or some kind of joint or tendon overuse injury three weeks into boot camp. I only spent three years training recruits at MCRD San Diego, what would I know.
I totally agree with eric! i also wonder why did you ask for help if you dont want to hear the solution everybody here tells you.

I have made the same mistake as you couple times. There have been times i feel weaker than usual and the solution for that is always cut back my training a little. You also have to start splitting your training more wisely.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

I wanted to know what I could eat that would benefit my "programming"