CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Chris T Johnson

Profile:
Feeling weak.

I've always done my version of Crossfit workouts , but until three weeks ago I didn't know much about the real idea of Crossfit. Well, I am getting stronger in some aspects and in better condition, but I don't feel as strong anymore... I feel like i've lost my strength touch. I can't see the strength and muscles in my body as much as i previously could. When my muscles are working tho there is much more definition. Is there something I should be doing that I am not. Id be lying if i said i didn't care about my image.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Feeling weak.

What program are you following?

A lot of us here are biased toward a basic strength program couples with conditioning WODs.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

What are you eating (and how much of it) on an average day? What kind of programming are you following? How much sleep are you getting?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Chris T Johnson

Profile:

7-8 hours a night. I eat peanut butter, baked fish, carrots, broccoli, sunflower seeds, 50-70g of whey protein, water, gatorade, and thats about it. My situation requires to keep it simple. My programming is - the WOD and a selected workout like Cindy or Fran. Then I add about 2-3 hours of strength and weight training.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It sure sounds like you're doing too much and not eating nearly enough, and you're going to suffer if you limit your diet to only 8 things. What exactly is the situation that requires you to limit your food choices to those?

When you say you're doing the WOD and a selected workout, does that mean you're doing the CF.com workout AND one of the girls/heroes? Then following that up with strength training? Not a smart approach if you ask me. You'd be a lot better off following an established program rather than trying to create a Frankenprogram out of whatever you feel like throwing together on a given day.

If you want to get bigger and stronger then you need to cut back on the metcons. Too much conditioning volume will hamper muscle and strength gains.

And there's really no reason a strength training session should last 2+ hours. More does not equal better.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It sure sounds like you're doing too much and not eating nearly enough, and you're going to suffer if you limit your diet to only 8 things. What exactly is the situation that requires you to limit your food choices to those?

When you say you're doing the WOD and a selected workout, does that mean you're doing the CF.com workout AND one of the girls/heroes? Then following that up with strength training? Not a smart approach if you ask me. You'd be a lot better off following an established program rather than trying to create a Frankenprogram out of whatever you feel like throwing together on a given day.

If you want to get bigger and stronger then you need to cut back on the metcons. Too much conditioning volume will hamper muscle and strength gains.

And there's really no reason a strength training session should last 2+ hours. More does not equal better.
That was just what i thought. It really sounds that you are training too hard. Keep your workouts shorter and dont do too much in one day. Its impossible to work intensivly 3h per day so you should get more power to your workout when you train less.

And as eric said you also cant get all the calories you need with that kind of nutrition.

It would be nice to hear more accurate description of your averige day. Like what are your meals and do your really train 3+ hours everyday?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Plenty of professional athletes train 3+ hours a day. However, they eat a lot more than the OP appears to, and they have coaches planning their workouts for them.

Katherine
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Plenty of professional athletes train 3+ hours a day. However, they eat a lot more than the OP appears to, and they have coaches planning their workouts for them.

Katherine
Yeah you are right but part of their training is also always "skill training". Not many people train 3+ hours strength or endurance per day...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Pöllänen View Post
Yeah you are right but part of their training is also always "skill training". Not many people train 3+ hours strength or endurance per day...
Here's how the Cal Strength weightlifting team trains:
http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6485

Do not try this at home. These are among the best lifters in the US.

Point being that I think a lot of people seriously underestimate what "training hard" really means at the elite level.

Katherine
Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Aku Pöllänen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Here's how the Cal Strength weightlifting team trains:
http://www.pendlayforum.com/showthread.php?t=6485

Do not try this at home. These are among the best lifters in the US.

Point being that I think a lot of people seriously underestimate what "training hard" really means at the elite level.

Katherine
Whoah! Thats insane and really interesting! But still as i said that really is rare.
Thanks for the link though and i also agree with you that people usually underestimating professional athletes training!

And as we are looking for cure to Chris's problem i still think the reason is overtraining.

PS. i would like to apologize that my writing can be sometimes hard to understand. I live in Finland so english isn't one of my strengths.