CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2003, 05:29 PM   #1
Gary James Yetter, Jr.

Profile:  
Hi all,

I have recently begun to ease into the paleo diet after visiting some websites and reading a few articles. Now that I know what I shouldn't be eating, I was wondering how often I should be eating. Should I just eat when I am hungry? Is there a certain amount of time before I go to bed that I shouldn't eat? Is there an ideal frequency outlined by the paleo gurus? It seems to me that ancient hunter-gatherers probably ate pretty infrequently as they were probably busy hunting and gathering. Any resources you can refer me to regarding this matter? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Try eating something every 3 hours. This will help prevent catabolism and hunger, though hunger should be staved off on a paleo-type diet.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gary-

If one is truly emulating the eating patterns of our paleo ancestors the grazing pattern is pretty much it. Even bad diets, when consumed in small frequent meals, provide better blood lipid results vs large gorging meals. Not that there were not the occasional celebrations and large amounts of food...just not all the time.

If your goals are to gain muscle and optimize performance i would try to eat frequent small meals. That is my goal but I have recently started grad school and have several other projects cooking. I have dropped from a consistent 6 meals/day to a very sporadic eating pattern. My reward has been to loose about ten lbs. of muscle! Do the best you can with your goals and a reasonable assessment of what type of lifestyle your want to live and then tinker from there.
Let us know how thigs go!
Robb
Old 09-10-2003, 12:16 AM   #4
Gary James Yetter, Jr.

Profile:  
Thank you both for your responses. I would be able to swing eating small, frequent meals throughout the day, so I'll try that and see how it works. Is there anything wrong with eating a meal right before bedtime?
Old 09-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Gary-
Bed time meal is not a problem so long as the meal is either protein only or protein/fat. Carbs before bed=spare tire in the morning!
Robb
Old 09-14-2003, 06:48 AM   #6
Scott Parker

Profile:
robert-

i'm in the same boat as you. i recently started nursing school and am working as an EMT and don't have anywhere near the time i had before to be picky about my diet and getting to the gym. it seems like my days of being able to do muscle-ups and 25 pull-ups in a row are long gone and it's depressing! my bf has gone up to around 7-8% (from 5.5-6.5), and i've lost a few pounds of muscle.

scott
Old 09-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
Roy

Profile:

"Bed time meal is not a problem so long as the meal is either protein only or protein/fat. Carbs before bed=spare tire in the morning!
Robb"

Robb, I finish my martial arts workout at 7 or 8 pm every evening and go to bed about an hour afterwords. I eat a carb/protein meal before bed every night because its also a post workout meal. In this case, is it still alright to have carbs before bed?
Old 09-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
Graeme Cunningham

Profile:  
What is the difference of a Paleo diet to Atkins or NHE is it some form of low carb plan?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Roy:

At your age, and with the amount you're working out, I doubt that it matters much . . . yes, I would eat lightly, and I would emphasize protein more than carbs, but I would have some carbs in that meal. (I just find it amazing that you can go to bed/sleep only 1 hour after working out . . . I'm generally need a pretty extensive "cool-down" (like, a couple of hours) after a workout before I can sleep).

Graeme:

"Paleo" refers to conciously imitating the dietary habits of our Paleolithic ancestors . . . no grains, no processed foods . . . Dan John (http://danjohn.org/coach.html) has described it as the "meat, leaves, and berries" diet.

"Atkins" refers to the very-low-carbohydrate diet popularized by Dr. Robert Atkins (for weight loss, and for general health, as well, if you believe its proponents).

Most "paleo" diets will end up being fairly low in carbohydrates, since it's hard to get a large amount of carbohydrates without eating grains (which are a no-no in a strict paleo diet). But Paleo does allow leafy greens and in-season fruit (it's up to each person to decide for themselves how they're going to do it), which gives it a slightly higher carbohydrate content than a hard-core Atkins.

NHE refers to "Natural Hormonal Enhancement", a diet popularized in a book of the same name by Rob Faigin (sold lots of places on the web, particularly http://www.extique.com/). This diet has you follow a very strict low-carb pattern for about 4 or 5 days (I can't quite remember), and then "carb up" (eat lots of carbs) for 1 or 2 days, then repeat.

All of the low-carb diets (all 3 of these qualify) are generally concerned with management of your body's insulin response to carbohydrate. (Generally, insulin is cast as the "villain" in your body's biochemical play, and should be tightly controlled . . . at least, according to these ideas.) "Paleo" diets also draw their motivation from a general observation that hunter/gatherer societies, both modern and ancient, suffered little or none of the degenerative diseases that plague Westernized society today (heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc.).

If you get the carbohydrates low enough, you induce in your body a state of "ketosis", in which your body turns to a much higher rate of fat metabolism to meet it's energy requirements. Diets that produce this state are called "ketogenic".

For some, this is the whole point of the diet (burn fat). To conventional medical science, this is a bad thing . . . they talk about fat being an inferior fuel source (particularly for your brain chemistry), and its metabolism as leaving "ashes" (whatever that means) that must be cleaned up in your kidneys.

The NHE diet is an example of what's called a "cyclic ketogenic diet" (CKD) because you get to that state for a few days, and then get out of it again (for a day or two) fairly quickly. This is supposed to reduce the particular risks inherent in ketogenic diets (if you think they matter). It also is intended to avoid any down-regulation of the thyroid gland, which may occur in a long-term hard-core low-carb diet. I think it's also just a bit easier to follow, because you don't have to swear off carbs forever . . . just 4 days at a time.

The late Dan Duchaine put out a wild book called "Body Opus" in which he described cyclic ketogenic diets in great detail. Practiced carefully, it is possible to become very, very "ripped" on these diets.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:24 AM   #10
Graeme Cunningham

Profile:  
So What if I was to just eat clean,but some fruits are sure to give an insulin spike i.e bananas should these be avoided what is the general concencus on here avoid these high GI foods late at night or limit them to after or before workouts only?