CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
christy Rosenau

Profile:  
I have been doing Tae-Bo for 2 month, almost every day and only eating 700 calories a day.. I have lost 11 pounds in the frist 2 weeks but now nothing more will come off. Do protine shakes help in weight loss and keeping it off?? If not is there something else I can do to get the weight off and keep it off??
Old 08-26-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Christy-

I am going to attempt to address your question in sections since it covers a wide range of issues. Keep in mind that I am not an expert and others may disagree.

Weight loss - I am going to assume that you are trying to reduce body fat. Reducing body fat and losing weight do not always mean the same thing. One way to rid the body of unwanted fat is through resistance training, which helps to develop muscle. Muscle increases your metabolism and ability to burn fat. However, muscle also weighs more than fat, so depending on your fitness level you may not realize as much weight loss as you would doing extended aerobic activity (which causes muscle loss, among other things) but you will have a lower body fat percentage and be healthier overall.

Diet - Protein shakes help to build and maintain muscle, so in the strictest interpretation of your question, they probably will not aid in weight loss, fat loss maybe, but not weight loss. Also, the calories that a person eats per day is probably not as important as WHAT they are eating. The Atkins diet is OK (overly restrictive on carbs- to the point where supplementation becomes necessary, and under restrictive about the sources of protein and fat). Better guides include The Zone, The Protein-Power Lifeplan, and Natural Hormone Enhancement.

Exercise - Crossfit offers a free issue of the Crossfit Journal (available at http://www.crossfit.com/cf-download/CFJ-trial.pdf). I suggest you read it. Also check out http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html and http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-foundtn.html . If after you’re done reading all of this you’re saying, “Gee, that’s really good stuff but I don’t have the time and/or money to 1.) purchase a barbell and weights and learn Olympic lifting and 2.) purchase/make gymnastic equipment and learn the maneuvers,” don’t worry, all is not lost. Let’s assume that all you have is some floor space, your TV and VCR, the same amount of time you now put into your Tae-Bo workouts. Every couple of minutes during your Tae-Bo workout, pause the tape. Do a set of push-ups, air squats, sit-ups or whatever bodyweight exercise you can think of for a predetermined amount of time or reps. Continue this for the duration of your normal workout. From workout to workout, vary the minutes between each pause, the types of exercises you do and the length of the workout. On occasion, do just the Tae-Bo (or a bike ride or run for that matter). Other days see how many push-ups (or other exercise) you can do without stopping or set a timer for 20 minutes and see how many you can crank out (you get to use breaks here).

My guess is that if you follow my minimal suggestions (or better yet, start doing the Workout of the Day) you will see more results than you ever could with Tae-Bo and protein shakes. Give it a try and let us know.

Good luck in reaching your goals,

-Ryan

Old 08-26-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Christy-

I'm not a doctor but caloric restriction of that magnatude will not work long, as you have discovered. The links and advice Ryan gave you are worth gold...really. Investigate them and if you can buy one of the books he recomended.

If you have questions we are all here to help.
Robb
Old 08-26-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
christy Rosenau

Profile:  
Ryan-

Thank you for the advice.
I do 75 sit-ups(25 each way) and 25 push-ups, right after I am done with the Tae-Bo. And I take a 2 mile walk 2 or 3 times a week, and my son makes me take him on a bike ride at least once a week. I am also taking Xenadrine EFX to help with engery. I really like the idea of pausing the tape to do things in between, that is something I never even thought of, but is a good idea. And I will read the books you have suggested. And one more question, are the diet pills I am taking pointless?

Thank you

Christy
Old 08-27-2003, 06:11 AM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I don't know anything about you or your body composition, but 700 calories a day seems to be an excessive calorie deprivation. That would be the reason that you aren't losing anymore weight. Your body is experiencing an extreme famine and is working to hold on to every thing that it has by lowering your metabolism. I would follow Ryan's advice and watch the fat melt off.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:14 AM   #6
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Christy,

After following a paleo-type diet for several weeks, supplementation of any kind becomes, for the most part, optional (see http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/JANA%20final.pdf for details). If you do decide to supplement, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/213.html for which ones you may want to consider. As to the how and why of what Xenadrine EFX does and why it’s no longer needed after adopting a paleo diet, I honestly don’t know (but I bet Robb does).

Hope this helps,

Ryan