CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Taking steroids before joining the military?

Have you already tried, say, drinking a gallon of milk a day and lifting heavy stuff three days a week? (AKA Starting Strength)

Because -- ethical and legal issues aside -- unless you have a pretty good amount of training experience or a good coach, you probably don't have the knowledge to take advantage of steroids even if you took them.

Katherine
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
David Villalobos

Profile:

Mike- I'm planning on joining the Navy and go in as an attorney. But I would like know if I can handle SEAL training. I was thinking of doing PT, Crossfit, and hitting the gym for strength training but I will keep what you said in mind, thanks!

Steven- I hear it both ways that once you get off of a cycle your only left with the gains but I'm pretty sure that is a lie. The only way to keep the gains is if you stay juicing right? So, it doesn't seem worth it. Thanks for your response!

Eric- my squats and pull ups are weak! And my diet is usually eggs and bacon in the morning, fast food, mac n cheese, some grilled cheese thrown in there somewhere. I'm changing my diet though to mainly eating chicken, steak, mac n cheese, eggs and bacon. Crossfit football sounds like it would be good! Thanks for your input!

Katherine- I saw the starting strength main page and it showed a bunch of old women lifting...am I really on the same level as old women?? But I have to start somewhere haha I will look into thanks! And your right I don't have the experience or knowledge of effectively using them. My friend is the one that is trying to persuade me into it. Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
David Villalobos

Profile:

Also, I'll add that I have the chance to take a natural test booster, its called Androgenic. Anyone have any thoughts on natural test boosters? Its over the counter and legal. Pretty much the closest thing to steroids but not steroids.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
Ben Norris

Profile:

All I can say to this topic is

http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/7...jpg?1301256744 (WFS)
Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
David Villalobos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Norris View Post
All I can say to this topic is

http://p.vitalbmx.com/photos/users/7...jpg?1301256744 (WFS)
haha! Nice picture
Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
Charles Applin

Profile:

Just to beat a dead horse: List all the things you plan to do IN ADDITION TO taking these legal steroids. Not a general list, but an actual plan of your workouts and eating, however don't mention you intend to take legal steroids. After you post that list, allow others educated in such things positively critique that list. Take reasonable amendments to the list that'll usually include comments on your eating being too low, your volume being too high early on and including too many arm curls.

Now, perform the amended list, but first try it for six to eight weeks without using those legal steroids. Look at your progress, if it's improving, then continue with your program adjusted for your gains and a bit to prevent adaptation without using those legal steroids. Again, measure your progress, adapt your diet and exercise based on norm information learned both from experience and research. If you keep improving, don't take the legal steroids yet.

As you can see, I'm not telling you to not take legal steroids. Steroids work which is a big reason they're used in medical recoveries and they're not allowed in competitive sports. However, if you're improving without them you're setting yourself up for much better gains down the road should you choose to start using them. In all likelyhood you'll be more informed and have a better idea of your path to narrow in on which type is best for you.

Although it's a poor analogy, imagine someone asking if an F-1 racer is a good first car for a 17 year-old that learn to how to drive. You build up to it, you don't start off with it.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I was 135 when I went into the Army in 1994 and I was pathetically week. I survived and excelled. Don't take the easy way out. It will develop bad habits. Just follow any decent CrossFit programming and you will be fine.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
Adam Molnar

Profile:

I am not gonna say yes or no, it is your decision, BUT
-do not take steroids as the first step. Try to workout hard, lift heavy stuff, eat a lot, most probably your body will get bigger and stronger on a natural way. Maybe you have the best genetical gift......

Once you reached the point where you see no gain or improvment, look back and check: did you reach your physical goals? Is there anything else to do to make training better or more efficient (definitely YES) - and than you might consider to take streoids-but do it smart.

One more thing to remember: if you decide to take streoids, it might help you on the short run, but once you stop taking them, you will loose all the gains(why? because you are injecting artificial hormones into your body, so your body system will stop producing your own natural hormone. Once you stop the intake, your body MIGHT be able to re-start your own hormone system, maybe not ).....worth it? NOT FOR ME !!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

the Andro product you speak of is VERY hard on the liver... and trying to do alot of running and cardio type work while taking it is a very bad idea. the cramps, upset stomach, headaches, etc will be terrible. also, this product still requires a good PCT. and while this product is "legal", almost every good PCT is still illegal.

follow everyone's advice above. eat alot, lift heavy.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Villalobos View Post

Katherine- I saw the starting strength main page and it showed a bunch of old women lifting...am I really on the same level as old women?? But I have to start somewhere haha I will look into thanks! And your right I don't have the experience or knowledge of effectively using them. My friend is the one that is trying to persuade me into it. Thanks for your advice!
How long did you spend on that site? If you plan on doing your own programming, you will need to read/learn a lot.

Otherwise, make some goals, find a coach (crossfit, or not) who can help with those goals, and work towards those goals.