CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Brendan Carroll

Profile:
G'day.....

G'day to all.....

I have been doing CF for about 3 months now - my PT opened a little box in a Redland Bay, Brisbane : called Elite HQ (he is not an affiliate yet)

My background - I have lost about 25kgs in the past year or so and have completely changed my lifestyle in interms of eating and fitness.....I would go to my local 24hr gym 7 days a week and work out at least an hour a day if not more.....

My PT would do some CF work-outs with me in the gym but not tell me it was a WOD...I didn't realise I was doing CF....

In my CF experiences so far - my strength has increased but I feel my cardio has dropped.....saying that though I ran 10km a few weeks back for a PB time...

Along the way - I have had my fair share of injuries : archilles tendon strain, lower back pain and last week twitched my knee doing DUs.....having read some other posts I am not the only one though - I will persist.....

I do love doing CF and have started collecting gym equipment to do a home WOD if I want.....

I am looking to build the DIY pull-up bar soon (another thread on here) - as my weakness is pull-ups amd kippying......this is my goal - at present I can do 1No strict pull-up (got to start somewhere) and still learning kippying movement with my PT to get a few more reps out.....I would like to be able to do 10 strict pull-ups and about 20 kippying pull-ups in time - this will take a fair bit of work in strength though.....

I am thoroughly enjoying reading posts on this forum and hope to contribute where I can.....

Cheers for now,
Brendan
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: G'day.....

Hi and welcome Brendan
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

hey mate hope you enjoy posting in these forums!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Scott Walters

Profile:

Yay for other aussies
Old 05-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

G'day right back at ya brendan and welcome.

i go to Crossfitbrisbane at Cooparoo. Am lovin it! started a bit the samw way the myPt left for Adelaide and told me that it was CF style training so off i went to CFB .. with great trepidation. best thing i have ever done for myself.

re the pullups.. get a pull up bar that fits your door way.. they work a treat. i can now do 6 strict pullups unbroken.. that is because i used to do a pullup ( jpu or whatever) eachtime i went thru that doorway...

cheers

Helen

maybe see ya at the august Harden Up Channge
Old 05-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Brendan Carroll

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan View Post
G'day right back at ya brendan and welcome.

i go to Crossfitbrisbane at Cooparoo. Am lovin it! started a bit the samw way the myPt left for Adelaide and told me that it was CF style training so off i went to CFB .. with great trepidation. best thing i have ever done for myself.

re the pullups.. get a pull up bar that fits your door way.. they work a treat. i can now do 6 strict pullups unbroken.. that is because i used to do a pullup ( jpu or whatever) eachtime i went thru that doorway...

cheers

Helen

maybe see ya at the august Harden Up Channge
Hi Helen - I think Ill come down and watch the next Harden Up challenge as I am sure my PT will be doing it....I don't think I'm ready for a comp yet....maybe it's a confidence thing also....

I had thought about the door chin-up bar thing but I am 6 foot five with long arms and it wouldn't work.....

Cheers,
Brendan
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

well at 6ft 5in i am surprised you can walk thru a regular doorway
i willnow confess that in addition to my door pullup bar i have a set up in my shed...
bars, rings, plyoboxes, olympic bar and weights and some other bits and pieces... always seem to need a few more. Oh and i have a rower.... but it is a fun way to spend some time.

maybe I am a little nutty