CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Amy Shivers

Profile:
Let's define "noob"

TGIF!

Now, I know that we are all working on our own specific goals. But - I'm wondering how long one should consider themselves a CrossFit newbie. I started February 1, 2011, going 2x a week for 6 weeks, then upping to 3x a week since. I was a decently athletic person until the last decade of my life, and never did much lifting. I'm a healthy weight (although have some body fat to lose). I have been giving 200% in WODs and class, and I've slowly changed some habits (easing into Paleo, only eating non-packaged foods, slowly cutting out sugar etc).

However, I am consistently at the bottom of the class as far as WOD performance, and I consistently use the lowest # (and never RXed WODs, or maybe not never but rarely). The running kills me. I accepted all of this with great humility but after three months of busting my tail, I'm surprised I'm not improving more. Should I feel okay about this - because I'm still new? I do have a slightly back issue that does keep me from going up in weight too quickly with the lifting but in general, I'm surprised I'm not improving more.

I don't have my notebook with me to tell you examples, but hopefully you get my question. I just need reassurance that I should keep doing what I'm doing (trying, and having a good attitude, despite getting my butt handed to me on a constant basis). I mean, I guess I'm still new?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
David Z Sachs

Profile:
Re: Let's define "noob"

Some more information would generally be required. Height, weight, WODs you are doing, sleep, nutrition, etc.

You could work out as hard as you wanted with the perfect weight for each work out and not see any improvements if you aren't eating enough, which seems to be a MAJOR issue amongst people.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Amy Shivers

Profile:

Okay. let's see. I'm 34, female, 5'8" and 140 lbs, and I work out at a CF affiliate and do their WODs M, W, F. I'll get my notebook next time I'm there and write down some examples of WODs, weights used, and results. :-)
Old 04-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Shivers View Post
Okay. let's see. I'm 34, female, 5'8" and 140 lbs, and I work out at a CF affiliate and do their WODs M, W, F. I'll get my notebook next time I'm there and write down some examples of WODs, weights used, and results. :-)
At that body weight/height, I can only assume you have very little muscle if you think you have some fat to lose? Are you eating enough to recover AND build muscle, or maintaining a caloric deficit?
Does your affiliate program any additional strength/skill work into the group class on top of the wod? If not, are you doing any at home?

No matter what, unless you were already very fit/strong, its extremely unlikely you will be Rxing the workouts after 3 months, or even 6 months-a year. Take pride in your improvements, even if they are less than you hope for.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I've been CFing for 2 years and some change, and I'm just now starting to RX the workouts in terms of weights. Just now starting to use pullups in WOD's. Granted, I took several loooong breaks of several months at a time over the last 2 years, and I absolutely attribute my slow progress to those breaks. But still. There's no defined point at which you should or should not be a "firebreather," and there's really no strict definition of a firebreather. If I see that someone came into the gym that could barely get into the bottom of an air squat with proper form, and now they're using doing 45# thrusters in Fran, I think that's MASSIVE progress, even if they're still not RXing it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
However, I am consistently at the bottom of the class as far as WOD performance....
One thing that immediately jumps out at me is that it's hard to judge yourself relative to others, as you should expect that they are making gains during that time period as well.

In any case, I would stick with it. I'm sure that you've seen some gains though, right? Probably not having to scale WODs as much as when you started, right? Can you do more reps of exercises than you could before?
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
More generally, keep a log. That's the best way to see how you've improved. I find it's especially useful to look back and realize that yes, this is a rough week, but I'm still using substantially heavier weights than I was a few weeks or months ago.

Comparing to your own past progress is definitely better than comparing to others. As noted, they're improving too, and they may be starting from a better place to begin with. As a 34 year-old female, your chances of catching up to a 24 year-old male firebreather are remote.

Katherine
Old 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

I've been crossfitting since Sept 09 and I'm still not using rx'd weights for most of the wods. Seems crazy in a way but I've been out of action for a few months due to injuries (mostly not crossfit related) which slowed some progress but I know I'm still improving.
Everytime a wod comes up that I have done before - I can see that I did it quicker than last time or with more kgs on the bar etc etc - I'm still improving and I'm still loving it! I just yesterday PR'd my 1RM deadlift @ 110% bodyweight By some peoples standards thats lame if they can lift twice their bodyweight but I could only do 79% of my bodyweight when I started so I think that shows real progress don't you - maybe I could have done it faster but I'm still going the right way!

The pull up still eludes me and push ups are tough for me but I'm getting there! I know I'm fitter and stronger than I have ever been in my life and also the mental strength I have gained through crossfitting is incredible for everyday life.

I would say check your notebook - have you done any wods more than once and if so did you do it faster than last time or used heavier weights than last time?

Also get your technique checked - I assume as you are at a box they are checking on you?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Chris Forte

Profile:

I'm such a noob that I have a question I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but here goes...

How OFTEN do you work out? Does Work Out of the Day mean EVERY day?

My common sense tells me there must be a day or two off each week but I'm not sure.

How often is the average member here working out? What should I strive for? Any insights appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Forte View Post
I'm such a noob that I have a question I'm almost too embarrassed to ask, but here goes...

How OFTEN do you work out? Does Work Out of the Day mean EVERY day?

My common sense tells me there must be a day or two off each week but I'm not sure.

How often is the average member here working out? What should I strive for? Any insights appreciated.

Thanks!
There are rest days programmed in if you are following cf.com, they run on a 3 days on 1 day off schedule always. The "recommendation" for best results is 3 on 1 off or 5 on 2 off, most people do not start out there but its not hard to work up to as long as you are taking care of yourself.