CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Toni Cameron

Profile:
Is CrossFit for me?

I am a total newbe to CrossFit. I came across it while researching different approaches to weight-loss and seeing what is available in my area. I am currently at the point where I am trying to decide if I should join the CrossFit gym or going the personal trainer route.

I am about 198lbs, 5ft 4, female who is wondering if CrossFit is going to be too much for me. I cycle about 10 to 15 miles a week, and walk during my lunch breaks when it is nice out. I know that in the FAQs it says that CrossFit is scalable, but I was wondering how does that work? When your with a group does the leader help you scale it or should you know what to do?

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Is CrossFit for me?

Firstly, if you're looking for weight loss, ensure your nutrition is in the right place.

To answer your query, Crossfit is completely scalable. The workouts as they are designed are intended for elite athletes. What this means is that depending on your strength, ability, capacity, workout can be adjusted to suit everyone, even if they're working out together. It's very common for people to be working side by side with different amounts of weight on their bars or using differing techniques they're capable with.

Here's an example workout:
As many rounds as possible in 15 minutes of:
45kg Power Snatch, 7 reps
15′ Rope Climb, 1 ascent
Hand Release Push Ups, 15 reps

A good coach/trainer will know where you're at (from your intro session and/or foundations classes or whatever your box calls them) and may prescribe you 10 kg snatches, or pushups on knees, or to only go 10 minutes, or some combination of the above (or swapping an excercise completely if you don't know how to do one, or infinite other adjustments).

Scaling doesn't necessarily mean it's less either, sometimes it actually increases power output. For example I can do pullups without an assistance-band but i have to do them in sets of 1 and take all day on them. With a band I can do the required reps in the required time and hence have a higher power output.

Conversely, the above workout could have instead been written as 10kg snatches, 1 rope climb and knee pushups. All that'd change is that people who already have the ability would be putting out 100 rounds in that time frame.

For additional information, look up the Brand X forums, they post a scaled version of the Crossfit.com website workout each day. Additionally, check the FAQ section on the main website too, it has demonstrations of all the exercises and helps define some of the terms you may not be familiar with.

Hope this helps
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The trainer should recognize the fitness level and capabilities of each client and give them recommended scaling options. If he doesn't, he's not a good trainer and is likely to get people hurt.

Weight loss is 90% nutrition, 10% working out. Actually, it's probably less than 10% what you do in the gym because you've gotta consider sleep, stress, and other lifestyle factors. But for the 90% part, look into Paleo. Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution," Mark Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint," or the Whole9 website are good places to start.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Chad Anderson

Profile:

Is Crossfit going to be too much for you? No.

Infinitely scalable/flexible. Work with your trainer to do the exercise with less reps, or a modified version, or a completely different/substitute exercise.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Martha Lamb

Profile:

Ditto to all of the above advice, especially the nutrition. If you come and give Crossfit 100% effort, you will LOVE it. You will especially love what it does for your body, and how wonderful it feels to be strong. Crossfit will change your life.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
Vicki Weinman

Profile:

Absolutly, Crossfit is for anybody. I am a 3 month Crossfitter, am 51 year old female. My workout is scaled every single time I go. The workout is posted, reviewed, and instructed upon, in general. At that time the coach will go over my scaled workout. Sometimes MANY people in the class will have a different scaled workout. I am stating to do some of the prescribed workouts mixed with my scaling. Also, everyone else is right, nutrition is key. Eat Paleo, look it up, get a book, or ask your gym. You will feel better, and it will all fall into place. You will be hooked. Good luck...
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Scott Spencer

Profile:

here is a video that should help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15xwbwMXTYU

w/f/s

Please watch.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

I have to give another shout out for crossfit brandx for their scaling without which I would never have started crossfitting!

I found the main site when looking around and thought no way I can do that! But thankfully a guy on another forum pointed me to brandx forum and voila scaled for me - every mainsite wod is scaled for all levels.

Jeff (GD) and his team do an incredable job of the scaling and the support offered in their forum.