CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Rob Young

Profile:
??Camera and Software??

I figured before we made an investment in another camera for the box I would poll the best resource on earth

We have been using a very very old camera and the shutter speed is just too damn slow to ever get the shots we want. We have been making due with it for a while, but it is time to upgrade. I was wondering what other cameras affiliates are using and had success with? I was also looking for some software that might allow us to do a little more with the photos. B&W, B&W with color highlights, and stuff like that.

Obviously my photography bases is nothing more than snap and click...lol...so anyone with some more info than that would be a huge help!

Thanks!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Benjamin Eseroma

Profile:
Re: ??Camera and Software??

I use a Canon Rebel xs sweet cam no video though. The canon site has lots of software. I use regular dc for video.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Steve Bray

Profile:

There is alot of places you can 'find' software online. Tbh you should never have to buy software lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Chris Walls

Profile:

As for decent yet affordable photo editing software you could get photoshop elements. Pretty sure it's under $100 and gives you a lot more capability above what iPhoto, Picasa, etc... would give.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
Jeremy R Johnson

Profile:

We made due with a series of point and shoot cameras, then upgraded to a Canon T2i this year. It has been well worth the extra cost (~$1000) as we have poor lighting at CrossFit Mt Olympus. It also has HD video capability, so we use that for running form training.

It cost more, but we won't be replacing it for many years unless someone drops it. If you are posting photos online, it is worth having a camera that takes better pictures.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

For fast shutter speeds you need a fast lens and/or lots of light. High ISO capability helps but the results are often grainy.

Some indoor examples:
For this shot I used an Olympus E-P1 with an f/2 lens, ISO 1000, shutter speed 1/320th of a second:
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/393E77848...5B8C6BCCAF.jpg

Same venue, slower lens at f/4, ISO 1600, 1/125th of a second:
http://g1.img-dpreview.com/C6CADA535...B6FC42DC4B.jpg
Notice how much slower the shutter speed has to be, even with the higher ISO, because of the slower lens (f/4).

Here's an example of what usually happens when you try to use a slow lens:
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/B040F97FD...08BF926462.jpg
This shot was from someone else's Canon 7D camera using the kit lens. The standard kit zoom lens that comes with most cameras, even an expensive camera like the Canon 7D, will struggle with this type of shot. Most kit lenses are versatile and sharp but they're typically slow. A cheaper camera with a faster lens, such as the point & shoot Canon S95, would work better.

Outdoor example, i.e. way more light:
Slowest lens yet at f/6.3, ISO 1600
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/5570B4F11...DC1923E956.jpg
Note that I was able to use a much faster shutter speed of 1/4000th even though the lens is about as slow as they get.

The moral of the story is that if you're going to shoot action shots you either need a fast lens or enough lighting to make your eyes blink.

For software I use the software that came with my camera as well as GIMP, which is free. If your skill level is typical of most point & shoot camera owners then often just the basic editing software that came with the camera will be sufficient. My Olympus comes with something called Olympus Viewer and Olympus Master, both free. GIMP is a freeware image editing software that's a bit more involved and has more Photoshop-style image manipulation features.
Hope this helps.

Links are work/family safe.

Last edited by Lincoln Brigham : 05-11-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Chris Walls

Profile:

Thanks for that Lincoln! Makes sense to me. I haven't taken the time to learn camera stuff. But i have noticed my new phone takes remarkably good pictures, especially outside where there is lots of light. heh