CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:
Rogue Client

What do you coaches do out there when you get someone that just refuses to listen to coaching?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Rogue Client

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
What do you coaches do out there when you get someone that just refuses to listen to coaching?
How do you mean?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

It depends...

-If they interrupt the class and do not follow coaching, we confront them about it, and if it doesn't improve we tell them to not come back.

-If they don't listen, and it's in terms of working towards better form, or work with total disregard to their form...We do the same as above.

-If by don't listen, you mean that they don't push themselves, don't try to increase weight, and seem to be slacking. We'll confront them about it, discuss why they are doing that. If they choose to continue that route, and are not interfering with the class, and are not at an increased risk for injury, we'll let them be.....however, if I do not expect the coach to give his top effort if after continued attempts we cannot the athlete to give the same.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

This is a close friend of one of the other coaches. When I give him instruction on a movement he refuses to listen. Ive even stopped him in the middle of the workout. Ive sat him aside afterwards to ask him about it and he just tells me everytime he is going for speed instead of form.

Ive tried and tried to explain this but it doesnt seem to get through.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Chris Walls

Profile:

If his form is to the point of potentially injuring him, tell him you can't allow him to train there anymore if that's how he's going to do it. Nothing personal, just insurance and stuff.

Your house your rules.

I've had people who always wind up squatting high on high rep air squats, I keep on them to get all the way down, but in the end they won't wind up hurt and are only cheating themselves. But if it were to the point of seriously injuring themselves or others, or disrupting class, gotta give them the ultimatum of shape up or ship out.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

Yeah, it puts it in a wierd place since he is a friend of my business partner. Thanks for the feedback though. Nothing yet where its going to injure him just he isnt helping him self.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Chris Walls

Profile:

Take it up with your business partner then. Tell him if he cares about the business he'll get his friend in line, because if he disrespects the coaches, undermines their authority, and has crap form, he makes the business look bad to any new people. It makes you look like you either A) don't know what you're doing and think what he's up to is ok B) don't care C) can't get your athletes to move better D) all of the above...

If you get him to see his friend's bad attitude as an attack on the bottom line, maybe he'll sort him out.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wheeler View Post
This is a close friend of one of the other coaches. When I give him instruction on a movement he refuses to listen. Ive even stopped him in the middle of the workout. Ive sat him aside afterwards to ask him about it and he just tells me everytime he is going for speed instead of form.

Ive tried and tried to explain this but it doesnt seem to get through.
Is he hitting full ROM? If he's not, telling him that you can't count those reps may help bring him into line. If he is, well, I'm sure we've all heard of "Crossfit slop." No one is going to do a competition-perfect clean and jerk on the last rep of Grace.

Katherine
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Jeff Wheeler

Profile:

Something he does, some he doesnt. Today for example was the first time for HSPU. I was having them scale on a box. I had everyone else doing them correct but just wanted to act like a normal push up for speed. I stopped him a couple times to show him and couldnt get through his head. It was part of a chipper and we didnt come back to them. I tried explaining and showing him again after one on one and he did them fine. He is just so worried about doing the WOD quickly. I've thought aobut something like KB snatches where if you dont punch through for instance you'll feel it. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

I agree with Katherine's line of thought. You might try telling him that if he doesn't do the movements properly then you'll have to mark it as not-Rx'd. We've tried that a few times and it's worked pretty well. I don't know if doing it as Rx'd is a big deal at your gym, but that's usually what drives people to sacrifice form/ROM for speed. In the end it's going to really hinder his progress down the line if he tries to go too fast too soon with a crappy movement foundation.