CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #21
Sara Thomas

Profile:
Re: 1st Elements Class hit me like a truck 4 non athlete

Drink lots and lots of water and make sure you're getting in some extra lean protein. Need to help those muscles rebuild and repair!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Hey Cara,

Great work! It's wonderful that you're pushing yourself to do something great for you. Keep at it. It will hurt and you will doubt yourself but all of those little doubts / embarrassments will wilt in the face of persistence.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #23
Cara Yeo

Profile:

I can walk up and down the stairs! Painfully, but now my quads work. I do not have to hold on to something to throw myself up the stairs. Yesterday was very painful but today the pain is in my knees now. I feel now how I expected to feel after the first day. So, I am in pain and sore but I have use of my legs now I am back to the gym on Monday. Scared but going back.
Thanks for all your support.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Cara, if I were your trainer (I'm not, I know this), I'd have you go walking everyday. Cautiously build up to an hour a day at a brisk pace. It'll do wonders for body comp and recovery at this point.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #25
Matt Harris

Profile:

Cara,
No matter what you're level of fitness, the first few weeks of CrossFit are painful. The thing is, if you stick with it, your body will get much better at recovery. There are times you'll be sore, but not at all like those first workouts.

You sound like a fighter. I hope you continue and that you post updates here.

Best
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #26
Michael Stiles

Profile:

Perhaps short-term both the trainer and you should be working towards training our mind and body to want to workout regularly (no more, no less). The high-intensity CrossFit culture is a critical factor for success, but I can imagine it being counter-productive if you are non-functional at home and questioning whether to continue. Frankly bad for you and bad for business. There's a fine line between encouragement and pressure and perhaps erring on the side of caution is an acceptable price if it means you can embrace CrossFit and the other aspects of a healthy life style for the long-term. Drink lots, take fish oil, eat clean and stretch a little every day. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I just "tuned in" to your thread. Definately lots of water. If you haven't yet tried fish oil as a supplement, you might want to do that. Walking, stretching, and massage is a good idea.
You probably didn't know how sore you'd be. Some soreness is ok, but, this was clearly more than serves. You will recover. Trust me. I've had no-climb-stiars-dip-onto-toilet-sorenes. There's a way to scale pullups, or sub body rows, or ring rows, till you get some strength. Pushups can be done on an upward incline, on your knees. 15 squats, if you aren't used to it are a lot. 10 is plenty. I'm glad your trainer is listening to what you have reported to her. Hang in there. You'll get this. CrossFit can be as individual as there are people doing it. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #28
Willie Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Yeo View Post
I do not think I will be able to go to the next elements class. I have to lock my legs to get up. Sitting down is even worse. I just do a controlled fall into my chair. First class yesterday, next class tomorrow.
Yeah it's tough. I just started myself and I made it through the three 101 classes but I could not make it to the regular wod on fri/sat. I plan on going in tomorrow morning. What a wake up call
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #29
Justin Gross

Profile:

Cara, congradulations on your decision to improve your health.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a personal trainer at a traditional gym as well as a trainer at a CF gym.

From what you wrote (being obese and never exercised in your life) I would suggest that you get some individualized training from a trainer who has experience with people in your situation. Despite what they say, CROSSFIT IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. Throwing up, not being able to move and feeling like garbage are not indicators of a program's effectiveness.

"Universally scalable" is a cop out, and anyone who says that your needs the same as someone training for the CF Games is an idiot, no matter how well intentioned they are.

If this trainer did that to you on your first workout and screwed up your life for a week then they obviously have no experience working with someone in your situation. Don't put your health (and $$$$$) in the hands of a trainer who lacks this type of common sense.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions

J

Last edited by Justin Gross : 01-17-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
Darla Powell

Profile:

Does no one else find this thread a bit horrifying?