CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Cara Yeo

Profile:
1st Elements Class hit me like a truck 4 non athlete

Stats
277lbs. 6'

Warm Up and WOD for newbies
Completed 2 Rounds
5 Pull Ups (using rings)
10 Push Ups (using a block and pad)
15 Swats (using medicine ball)

My disclaimer: Never exercised my entire life, obese, sedentary mom and wife of four fabulous people.

I do not think I will be able to go to the next elements class. I have to lock my legs to get up. Sitting down is even worse. I just do a controlled fall into my chair. First class yesterday, next class tomorrow.

My two cents:
Not for the faint at heart. Leave the ego at the door because you will not have one afterwards. The elements class is the entroductory of four classes, one hour each, learning the basics. I grunted and doubted myself through the whole WARM UP! The first 15 minutes I developed jello legs. I pushed myself to the limit that I have never been before. I could not do the pullups or pushups and barely made it through the squats. Ellie made me do the exersices normally. She did not scale it down for unfit me until the WOD. I am sure she wanted to see where I was physically. When I was done, I turned white and collapsed into the car. I cried all the way home. I am not sure if I cried in pain, in embarassment, or in shame. I let myself get so unfit my entire life. I came home and hubby made me a recovery drink, ate dinner, and crawled up the stairs off to bed.

Last edited by Cara Yeo : 01-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 1st Elements Class hit me like a truck 4 non athlete

Good work. Keep it up.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Dean Okazaki

Profile:

At your next intro session ask the instructor about a foam roller. Time spent before/after WODs on the roller will help your recovery. Expect to be sore but it gets better with time/effort.

Nice work!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Cara Yeo

Profile:

Thanks! I am very sore and was expecting that. I am worried because I can't get my legs to help me up and down. I could not get up the stairs yesterday and have to lock my knees to do it today. If I squatted right now, I would collapse. I had a hard time doing squats but managed to complete 30 total in the wod and 15 in the warm up. Will ask about the roller! Thanks~
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #5
Jerry Blomberg

Profile:

Cara-
Unfortunately you had a bad experience, and its sounds like the trainer should have done a little more one on one before putting you into a WOD of any kind. Remember that Crossfit is scaleable and the WOD should have been tailored to fit you, not something to make you feel like that the first day.

That being said, the journey your on is worth it, the pain does go away. I dont believe that you have to be in shape to do crossfit, but how you are doing crossfit has to fit you.

Good luck and dont give up.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
James Napier

Profile:

scale back more and spend more time recovering
Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Cara Yeo

Profile:

I wanted to give it my all. I wanted to see how far I could go and I am sure she did too. I contacted her to let her know what was going on with my body. I am sure she did not want to under estimate me because you never know I do think I over exerted myself and wonder if one day recovery is enough.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara Yeo View Post
I wanted to give it my all. I wanted to see how far I could go and I am sure she did too. I contacted her to let her know what was going on with my body. I am sure she did not want to under estimate me because you never know I do think I over exerted myself and wonder if one day recovery is enough.
If you cant bend your legs to use the stairs you need a couple days off. Doing a WOD while a bit sore is one thing but it sounds like you are waaay too sore and need a couple days off (maybe 3). For me personally the second day after on particularly brtal workouts are the worst for me.

Use this experience to pace yourself a little going forward, your going to need some time to acclimate to this and once you do, then you can give it your all without being crippled for half a week.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
Cara Yeo

Profile:

Trainer Ellie called. What a great feeling to get a phone call. She reassured me that what I was going through is not uncommon. She explained to me that I will exercises tomorrow to help remobilize me. I will still do squats but with some assistance this time. I explained to her that I have almost no function in my legs. She said we will do a bit of rehabilitation on them. I am in so much pain and I have given birth three times. I rather give birth again.

My body is protesting but I am going to protest back! Thanks for your posts!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Welcome Cara! It happens to all of us at some point or another. Trust me. I've been crossfitting for 2 years and any workout with walking lunges (even unweighted) means I am limping the next day. I have been spotted at work sitting on a heating pad the day after walking lunges. Hah.

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude - but remember that it took you a long time to get where you are now and there is no point in rushing yourself to try and get right back into shape. It will come in time, just work hard, eat right and be patient.

Come over to the Girl Power thread. We're fun and we'll commiserate with you.