CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Fredrik Tuvene

Profile:
Future of Crossfit gyms

One big difference between Globo gyms and Crossfit gyms is accessibility!

Some Globo gyms are open almost 24 hours/day whereas most Crossfit gyms have a couple of classes in the morning and some in the afternoon. Membership to a Globo gym is $30/month whereas my Crossfit gym charge $170/month for 3 classes/week.

I love Crossfit and I love my gym. However, I don't see why there is such a big discrepancy when it comes to accessibility between the two?

I live in a condo and can't make a "Garage gym". People who live in houses might not have the extra cash to turn their garage into a gym. Or even if they had both the money and the means you might not just feel like re-inventing the wheel in order to be able to work extra on their Snatch or rope climbing skills!

Also, it is not always fun to have to workout in a class, especially not when you need to work on your weaknesses. Would that weakness happen to involve a skill that becomes even more true. Developing skills take patience and lots and lots of practice. Without the access to the equipment needed how are you ever going to develop those skills?

Currently I don't know of any "Affiliate" that allows their members to workout as much as they want without attending class. Sure, if you competed in the Games or Regionals the owner probably don't mind having you around doing some extra work, but what about us mortals?? Also, I don't know of any "Globo gym" with gymnastics rings, ropes, bumper plates and pull-up bars. They might have one or two of those things but not all of it, which is needed for many of the CF WODs."

If you had the option to pay $150/month for 2 classes/week and unlimited access to a crossfit gym compared to pay $150/month for only two classes/week what would you choose? I think that's pretty much a no-brainer!
The electricity bill wouldn't be much more and the equipment is just laying there anyway without anyone using it. I understand if the owner doesn't want to sit in there all day, that's why you bring in 3-4 high school/college students that will get free membership in exchange for watching over the gym a couple of hours a week during non-peak hours.

Working out with high intensity isn't exactly rocket science. I think most clients would be able to do it on their own (with lots of guidance in the beginning of course). They would also benefit greatly to have the chance to work out with crossfit equipment on their own as opposed to using the machines at LA Fitness, run 3 miles or just sit at home on the couch. Having a coach is great and that's why you continue to go to class a couple of times/week.

I think it is time for Affiliates to open up and become more flexible towards their clients. After all the clients pay A HUGE premium compared to normal "Globo gyms".

Let me know your thoughts!

thanks,
Freddy
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Future of Crossfit gyms

Oh boy...here we go.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Tuvene View Post
I think it is time for Affiliates to open up and become more flexible towards their clients. After all the clients pay A HUGE premium compared to normal "Globo gyms".

Let me know your thoughts!

thanks,
Freddy
There are an awful lot of affiliates out there, especially when just starting, who have to maintain other jobs to make their affiliate dream come true. This limits the time they can be at their affiliate and in turn the hours the gym can be open.

Just like you say home owners may not be able to afford to build their own gym, many affiliates cant afford to quite their primary source of income to keep their gym open all day for your convenience.

Perhaps you should start an affiliate and keep it open 24x7 and let us know how it goes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Deleted, didn't read the original post clearly, and decided that I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

UGH I CAN'T HELP IT.

So what you're saying is, for $170/month, your trainer should be available to you 24/7.

You do realize that most Crossfit gyms, especially smaller ones, only employ one or two trainers, right? So....sleeping, eating, and having a life outside of work are out for them I guess, per your model. As it is, if you pay $170/month and go to class 5 days/week, you're paying them less than $10/class, which is really fairly criminal if you think about what a globo gym trainer charges per session. I mean, I understand where you're coming from, because yeah, it would be awesome if I had a veritable key to the gym and could go in there anytime and use it whenever I wanted. But you have to be realistic. Also, I feel like what you're suggesting would just bring what's special/valuable about an affiliate down to the level of a Globo.

To be practical, have you ever suggested to your affiliate (you DO actually go to an affiliate, right?) offer some sort of open gym for a few hours on a weekend so everyone can go in and do their own thing? I mean, it's a good compromise. Or, perhaps your affiliate's programming isn't conducive to your goals. That's a possibility. At my affiliate, we do 4 days with strength training per week, 2 days of Oly lifting, 2 days of gymnastics, and 2 days of long metcons, so you can pick and choose what sessions to attend based on your weaknesses. That's cool.

Last edited by Meghan Reid : 10-14-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Deleted, didn't read the original post clearly, and decided that I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.
Hence my response.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Stephanie Walters

Profile:

"Currently I don't know of any "Affiliate" that allows their members to workout as much as they want without attending class. "

I do show up to class regularly but I do extra strength work on the side. I also have a lot of weaknesses that I need to work on...that I wouldn't be able to address adequately if I only worked on them in class. I think gyms should have an open gym time. My affiliate is split into two warehouses nextdoor to each other, which is fantastic because I can go in when classes are small and they don't need the second room, and work on my craft.

However, we're moving facilities soon, and the new facility has just one wide area for the workouts. I can't afford another gym membership so I'm left wondering...what the **** am I going to do?

Last edited by Stephanie Walters : 10-14-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I couldn't help myself. LOL.

Hey Freddy, just curious, what are you lifting in your picture there?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

It's a liability, amongst other things. This may be news to you, but most peoples' form sucks, and not just a little bit. CrossFit is comprised of some fairly difficult movements that pose real risks of serious injury if not properly taught and performed. Most trainees have to be watched and corrected constantly to avoid bad positions and potential injury. This is even more true for the younger demographics who are convinced of their immortality and that snatches and cleans are like, totally easy, bro. They are blissfully unaware of how much they put themselves at risk with their craptastic habits. And no, you can't just bring in some high school or college drone who thinks they know something.

Rippetoe:
Quote:
The only problem with barbell training is the fact that the vast, overwhelming majority of people don't know how to do it correctly. This is sufficiently serious and legitimate a concern as to justifiably discourage many people from training with barbells in the absence of a way to learn how.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Ross Mckillop

Profile:

I think the question is valid, and there are a lot of very good reasons why Crossfit gyms don't operate the same way "globo" gyms do.

Economies of scale is obviously a huge factor, as most of the people who have already commented on this thread mentioned, a large number of affiliates are run by passionate individuals who can't afford for their affiliate to be their only source of income. I can't speak from experience, but I imagine the liability insurance for a Crossfit gym, particularly in the US, has got to be quite expensive.

Realistically, most people will only go to their affiliate when they're attending a class. Effectively doubling the operating hours of an affiliate may not double costs, but it will definitely have some impact. These costs would have to be covered by the existing membership base, making an already expensive membership potentially prohibitively expensive. This is bad for affiliate owners and the Crossfit community in general.

While there are definitely some people who would love to take advantage of the ability to use an affiliate's equipment without attending a class, I doubt the demand would be there for it to be viable for most affiliate operators. I would love to see something like a globo gym with CF-friendly equipment, where you could just turn up and work out, but I think it's far more likely for a globo gym to start carrying that equipment than for an affiliate to open their doors. And by that, I mean it's highly unlikely.

Until Crossfit, or something like it, is adopted by a much, much larger audience, it will remain a niche market with uncommon equipment that can only be found at specialized locations (affiliates).

Last edited by Ross Mckillop : 10-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
UGH I CAN'T HELP IT.
Yes. I feel the same thing. OP's post reeks of entitlement issues.