CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Graeme Howland

Profile:
Re: Elite Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Well... were they:

1) Using functional movements?
2) Executing them at high intensity?
3) Did they constantly vary the above for different time and modal domains?

If the answer is yes, then that's how. If the answer is no, then it's not. Crossfit is nothing more than a methodology and it is by no means super original. It just trademarked the name.
By definition, the lifting programs I mentioned are done at a high intensity (the programs as a whole). Functional is a word I find meaningless, but I would say the core lifts are functional at getting you stronger.

The problem is the third part, a planned progression lifting program is not constantly varied unless increasing load or varying % etc. counts (I don't think it does in the spirit of the definition as used by CrossFit).

I agree that was CF really is, a trademark/brand that represents a broad training methodology. I wouldn't say someone lifting weights in a planned progression and doing some conditioning is "doing CF".
Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Howland View Post
I wouldn't say someone lifting weights in a planned progression and doing some conditioning is "doing CF".
We could be splitting hairs, but at the same time, "some conditioning" can be very broad. I don't think a guy doing 5/3/1 and pushing a prowler would be "doing CF" in my opinion so I would agree with you there.

Now if you were to take that third point I made and change up the way you do "conditioning"... then I'd say you were "doing Crossfit with a layer of linear progression lifting on top"... or (depending on how the program was set up), you could be doing a CF Strength Bias or CF Wichita Falls program. The keypoint being that you constantly mix up the workouts/metcons. Just because you do a day of heavy squats for linear progression for part of your week, doesn't meant you're not gonna throw in high rep squats on some other day.

I'm sure many people were "doing CF" long before CF was around. I don't think mixing up workouts was anything new necessarily, but HQ just put a definition and built some structure around it.

As to your "functional" comment. That's definitely been rehashed many times and it could mean different things to different people and I won't get that far off topic.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
Michael Halbfish

Profile:

1. Looking at what the top athletes do may not be what is best for you. Most people cannot do as many workouts as Salo.

2. Most of the top competitors were in amazing condition prior to doing Crossfit.

3. There are several top competitors who follow the main page programming, or do a main page with slight modifications.

4. Most of the top competitors have the background knowledge and ability to effectively programming workouts.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
John Stone

Profile:

I'd think that doing a linear strength program and using WOD-type assistance exercises would fall under "CrossFit methodology."

For instance my upcoming Deadlift day will look something like:

Standard CF Warmup (Run a half mile then 3 rounds of pushups/pullups/squats/situps)

Deadlift 5x5x5

Assistance work: 5 rounds for time: 10 deadlifts X weight / 15 pullups/ 20 box jumps X height

If the assistance work looks familiar, it's a slightly scaled "Roy."

Maybe the lifts themselves could be argued to be too standardized or whatnot, but even then, there are "Bike 30 miles" "work on Hand Stands for 45 minutes" type WODs within CF mainpage.

Lifting makes me stronger and leaner. Being stronger and leaner makes me better at WODs. WODs make me fitter. Being more fit helps my lifts.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I'm beginning to think that the best way to determine if you do Crossfit is if you call yourself a Crossfitter...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
John Stone

Profile:

If you look at "Black Box" CrossFit , which is the type of CrossFit most people at HQ envisioned would produce optimal strength/conditioning levels [according to some attendees at the "Black Box" summit], you'll see that there is absolutely nothing "randomized across broad modal domains" et cetera about the strength training component.

And it's that linear, non-randomized strength training being included that was thought would produce stronger/better conditioned athletes.

As has been said, CrossFit is a brand name describing a methodology. CrossFit is also a community of people who all believe in the brand (for better and for worse). CF Staffer Lisbeth Darth just put it succinctly with this:
Quote:
But CrossFit is more than a business decision for our best affiliates; it's a passion, a mission, a life. It's wanting -- needing -- to put that "CrossFit" on your shirts, to proclaim yourself as a CrossFitter, to really become part of the CrossFit community.

Links are WFS.

Last edited by John Stone : 07-30-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
I'm beginning to think that the best way to determine if you do Crossfit is if you call yourself a Crossfitter...
I know you're not just figuring this out, Aush .
Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #18
Matt Thacker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
If you look at "Black Box" CrossFit , which is the type of CrossFit most people at HQ envisioned would produce optimal strength/conditioning levels [according to some attendees at the "Black Box" summit], you'll see that there is absolutely nothing "randomized across broad modal domains" et cetera about the strength training component.

And it's that linear, non-randomized strength training being included that was thought would produce stronger/better conditioned athletes.

As has been said, CrossFit is a brand name describing a methodology. CrossFit is also a community of people who all believe in the brand (for better and for worse). CF Staffer Lisbeth Darth just put it succinctly with this:

Links are WFS.
A small detail but constantly varied does not equal 'randomized'.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #19
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thacker View Post
A small detail but constantly varied does not equal 'randomized'.
I stand corrected.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Peter Williams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
It also bears mentioning that most of these guys were elite level athletes (Mikko Salo, soccer; Rob Orlando, strongman; Chris Spealler, wrestling; OPT, track and field) long before they ever heard of CrossFit. Honestly, there are only a handful of guys at the top level (Ben Smith, for example) who are even young enough to have "come up" doing CrossFit. You don't achieve the level of performance these guys are at in a few years.
I could be wrong, but I think OPT played basketball too - didn't realize he'd also run track.

He doesn't seem to get nearly as much pub as he did at one time, but he did a great job in the Games this year.