CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Ellyn Theisen

Profile:
Training with actual leg length discrepency

Ok, first off I did search the board before posting but all the threads I found people kept telling them to go see a Chiro or PT and it was a result of some misalignment.

Well, my boyfriend has a leg that is 3/4'' shorter then the other and he has had this problem since he was 16 (29 now) and it is in fact the leg bone that is shorter. This has been figured out through x-ray, cat scan, etc etc.

I'm not looking for anyone to diagnose him, but looking for ways I can work through the crossfit workouts with him. Anyone know of any exercises I should steer clear of, how I can adjust some, etc? Any input would be apprectiated.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Training with actual leg length discrepency

That's tricky.

An uneven pelvis can and will lead to a whole host of issues with ANY activity eg. heavy lifting, body weight stuff, running, etc.

I think this is the case that may profit from a heel lift...see an orthopedist.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
That's tricky.

An uneven pelvis can and will lead to a whole host of issues with ANY activity eg. heavy lifting, body weight stuff, running, etc.

I think this is the case that may profit from a heel lift...see an orthopedist.
If he does have an actually heel length difference then this is the correct option. Get a heel lift so it's not jacking up proper mechanics.

This is after proper SI joint and upper cervical evaluation has taken place though.

MRI/CT of the legs and even SI can be vague in context; I would not try to compensate unless I had a professional who is good with that stuff take a look at it.

But yeah if it's true leg length and its one of the rare ones then go for the heel lift.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Ellyn Theisen

Profile:

Again, we are well aware of his issue and he has and does see a doctor. He has a lift built into the sole of his shoe.

MY QUESTION was directed at the exercises that I should avoid or modify for someone with that problem, not how to fix his problem. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellyn Theisen View Post
Again, we are well aware of his issue and he has and does see a doctor. He has a lift built into the sole of his shoe.

MY QUESTION was directed at the exercises that I should avoid or modify for someone with that problem, not how to fix his problem. Thanks.
Ellyn, even with medical imaging, leg-length-discrepancy's are always highly suspect......What Steven was saying is always good to reiterate, and the consequences of using a heel lift when there are compensatory patterns going on are highly undesirable......so strong qualifiers are necessary! True LLI's need a full leg-length bone scan, which is not always done, even though an LLI is reported and a cat scan is done.

Personally, I've seen patients with Cat perths disease (with highly uneven hip joints seen on X-ray) come to equal leg length after a correction of the upper cervical mechanics......So getting it checked out is not out of the question.

if he just wants to lift, just try to do exercises while maintaining good spinal posture, without twisting, because that's what will tear up any structures and cause problems.....so extra care in that area, but most movements should be fine.

Last edited by Mike Mallory : 07-21-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

After a heel lift or whatever corrects are made as necessary then it's fine to do anything with proper form and no pain.