CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
Justin Keane

Profile:
Re: Client getting bigger / stronger

I think the first and most important thing you can do is demonstrate that you're listening and hearing her--whether or not you later go on to change her mind.

For some (girls or guys), the antipathy towards putting on muscle (as awesome as we all know this to be) may be rooted in body image issues, societal misconceptions, or it may be as simple as not wanting or having the money to spend buying clothes a size up.

Once you hear where she's coming from, then get to work on getting her where she wants to go or gently guiding her where she ought to go.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Lisa Hsu

Profile:

This is my exact problem...I'm 5'6", started crossfit at 136 and am now at 141...which would be fine if I were gaining muscle and losing fat...however I just seem to be gaining muscle and gaining fat at the same time. I am loving the big legs that I am getting, and LOVING the bootylicious booty I am getting, so that's all fine...

But my arms are getting bigger than my neck (while NOT being defined...just huge) and I can grab more off my belly than I would like. Like, great big fistfuls of belly. As far as I can tell, I am not eating much differently than I have my whole life, which has never caused weight or fat gain. I am not sure if it's Crossfit, the fact that I'm getting older, or what, but I am at my wits end. I am getting bigger and stronger...but can't I get bigger and stronger but lose the meatiness in my belly and arms? I've been assuming that I'll eventually lean out, but I have no evidence to justify this assumption...and I'm afraid I'll end up looking like a sumo wrestler.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Lisa: try logging your food. Exercise makes you hungry, so you may be eating more than you should without realizing it.

Katherine
Old 07-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Mass can't create itself out of thin air--it requires a caloric surplus in addition to training that causes a stress and adaptation. If you're adding muscle mass without a corresponding increase in your calorie intake, you should start losing fat due to an increase in your BMR.

What is your food quality/quantity like? Are you sleeping enough? Dealing with a lot of stress? Resting/recovering enough? Any history of cortisol problems? Cortisol could be responsible for fat gain if you're training too much and not eating/sleeping enough.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
Lisa Hsu

Profile:

I sleep 7-8 hours a night and don't have a lot of stress in my life. I basically eat 3 meals a day, no snacks. In the grand scheme of things I eat good clean food, but I'm not extreme. For breakfast I have a fruit shake with greek yogurt and protein powder (which I know might be controversial but my coach suggested it because I'd been skipping breakfast), for lunch I usually have homemade Chinese food (which, as you might imagine, is completely not like restaurant Chinese food), though sometimes I eat out with coworkers and have salads, sandwiches, or sometimes worse. For dinner I eat a variety of things: Chinese food, grilled chicken and vegetables, fresh fish, but sometimes pizza or burgers.

But in general: I don't drink soda or juice. I don't really snack. Some afternoons, though, I have a handful of nuts. I don't like candy except dark chocolate a few times a year. I do my grocery shopping on the perimeter of the store. Generally, the only thing I microwave is leftover food I made. I have a couple of drinks a week. I drink probably 80oz of water a day.

I can totally believe that if I want to be absolutely ripped like Tamara Cohen (hawt!!!) I would need to really step up the diet and never eat anything "bad"....but I am not looking for that. I'm just looking to cease the weight gain, which I can't imagine takes dramatically changing a diet which has always relied on my intuition and trusting my body to tell me what I need (I have been known to crave bell peppers, bok choy, cherries, oranges, and asparagus).

One thing I'm sure I would have a hard time doing that I'm sure will be suggested is to cut out rice. It forms the basis of my Chinese food diet, which is basically what my parents ate and my grandparents ate. I don't eat craptons of it, just maybe a cup a day at most, between lunch and dinner both.

I think I will try Katherine's suggestion of logging, maybe I am missing something. I've just spent a lifetime of trusting my body and it has always worked for me, because I grew up eating healthy and I don't like sweets. I am at a loss as to why beginning an exercise routine will make me need to log my food, which I can't imagine human beings should need to do...shouldn't we just KNOW?? At least for me, I have always just known. This is the first time I have struggled with this since I went through my growth spurt in high school. But I guess I should try it anyway, just to see if I am missing something?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Cutting out the rice would be good but is difficult for many asians and hispanics. Weighing and Measuring is highly debated in the CF circles but it gets very useful when you are hitting a roadblock in weight loss or performance.

Logging your food is just like your logging your workouts. It shows exactly what you did and did not do.

If you are very serious about losing bodyfat, it would be helpful to know where you are at first. Caliper tests if you can't find a hydrostatic or BodPod test. I doubt many people have access to a DEXA testing.

You may want to limit carbs towards the evening/fat and if anything eat more fat and protein. You can do as many CF'ers do where they take the bulk of their carbs post workout or earlier in the day before workout. However, it is generally recommended to keep your carbs light post WOD if you are looking to loose weight.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #27
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Hsu View Post
I think I will try Katherine's suggestion of logging, maybe I am missing something. I've just spent a lifetime of trusting my body and it has always worked for me, because I grew up eating healthy and I don't like sweets. I am at a loss as to why beginning an exercise routine will make me need to log my food, which I can't imagine human beings should need to do...shouldn't we just KNOW?? At least for me, I have always just known. This is the first time I have struggled with this since I went through my growth spurt in high school. But I guess I should try it anyway, just to see if I am missing something?
That's the thought process behind my suggestion. You're gaining weight and don't want to, so clearly something has changed. If food quality is the same, and basically good (as in your case), then food quantity is a likely candidate. Logging will give you a baseline.

Now, five pounds is not a huge amount of weight gain, and by itself could be entirely due to added muscle. So I'm taking your word for it that the issue is body composition. Since I haven't seen you, I'm in no position to judge for myself.

Katherine
Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #28
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Hsu View Post
I can totally believe that if I want to be absolutely ripped like Tamara Cohen (hawt!!!) I would need to really step up the diet and never eat anything "bad"....but I am not looking for that. I'm just looking to cease the weight gain, which I can't imagine takes dramatically changing a diet which has always relied on my intuition and trusting my body to tell me what I need (I have been known to crave bell peppers, bok choy, cherries, oranges, and asparagus).

One thing I'm sure I would have a hard time doing that I'm sure will be suggested is to cut out rice. It forms the basis of my Chinese food diet, which is basically what my parents ate and my grandparents ate. I don't eat craptons of it, just maybe a cup a day at most, between lunch and dinner both.

Okay, so first, thanks. Second, I lost the bulk of my weight before I went Paleo, simply through portion control and cutting out most sugar and decreasing pasta/rice (my husband used to make pasta, rice or potatoes for dinner every night). But, I think it was Paleo/eating clean, especially cutting out alcohol for a good amount of time, that really made me lean out like crazy. For me, that was a side effect, not the goal. I went Paleo because I tore my hamstring, and I was pretty desperate to get back to workouts.

Log for a week or two. It's a PITA. I know because I logged for a week when I was dragging @ss, and I bought a food scale to weigh and measure everything. Try for that one week not to eat out. It's impossible to "eyeball" restaurant food in terms of calories. Other than that, don't change from what you would normally eat.

As for the rice, 1 cup of cooked white rice has 44g of carbs. That's not ridiculous if you are paying attention to your carbs from other foods. And, I doubt that rice is the problem because you've been eating rice your entire life. It could simply be that you are eating more because you are more hungry from your workouts. And, that's good. You just may have to tweak your food choices somewhat.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #29
Lisa Hsu

Profile:

Thanks everyone. I am going to start logging for the next week or two and see what happens.

As for the body composition question, I have a Tanita scale, and though it's probably not numerically accurate I generally trust it for trends. When I was training for triathlons a lot, it dropped about 1-1.5% (without mass change), when I stopped it came back up to where it was. Lately, it's been holding steady despite my increase in overall mass, with very little variance. That, and the fact that I am getting bigger and stronger and harder, but the hardness in my arms and belly can only be felt after poking through a soft layer that seems at the very least no smaller than before, those are what are telling me I am gaining fat and muscle simultaneously.

And, my apologies to the OP, I realized that I have hijacked the thread, sorry. I didn't mean to :P.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #30
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

In case anyone doesn't truly understand how deeply ingrained these issues with body image, strength, and "bulk" are, this is the battle we are fighting:

"Hello everyone! I've been doing the mat workout for a month now and seeing great results. For the arm work out i started with 3lb and i noticed that i began to bulk. I went down to 2 lbs but my sholders are still bulking up quite a but. I am pretty petite (Tracy's size) but 1lb sounds really low considering that i can do the 3lb no problem. Any advise?? Thanks."