CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 07:29 AM   #131
Robert D Taylor Jr
Member Robert D Taylor Jr is offline
 
Robert D Taylor Jr's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesapeake  VA
Posts: 1,736
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
They don't, but if something is being pushed as a "fact", I will question it if I have my doubts, much like anyone should (a trait lacking in many citizens of the US today)



Funny how people keep responding if you they don't care no?



Ah, good. No real evidence to support many of the things I've asked, gotcha.



Why do you care what mine are then? And yes, I can things like this all day. I have zero issues with rasing questions and keep raising them till I get an answer that satisfies me. Another thing people really should do more often and something I've always told anyone that has attended any course I have taught.
There is no answer that will satisfy you available, Wayne. If you get results that you are happy with from CF in whatever variety you use, keep doing it. If not find a program that does give you those results. The only proof you really need is what you provide yourself. Folks have tried and you weren't satisfied. No anecdotal evidence will satisfy you and there is no clinical evidence either way. We can't help you.

I agree with the importance of a questioning nature, I do not desire to convince you not to question, but to recognise when your questions don't have answers that you can accept. At that point the decision is yours.

Last edited by Robert D Taylor Jr : 03-21-2010 at 07:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #132
Jonathan Yoon
Member Jonathan Yoon is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Algona  WA
Posts: 378
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I've observed enough structure to convince myself, so I don't feel any particular need to invest the time to fully reverse engineer the programming. I suspect the same is true of the others here.
The thing with reverse engineering is that you're trying to figure out how something works by looking at the result and then systematically going backwards through the entire process that created that result. An open-source design doesn't require anyone to do that since you have full exposure to everything. You get to see all the little gears & gizmos that create the end result and the gears & gizmos are typically self-explanatory. The WOD would be the result, but the logic behind the creation of the WOD (the gears and gizmos) would be the source and that information would be available for anyone to access if CrossFit was adhering to the standard Open-Source model.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #133
Jason David
Affiliate Jason David is offline
 
Jason David's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Clair Shores  MI
Posts: 3,037
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

I haven't read the last few pages of this thread but...this may or may not contribute to this thread.

I was trying to 'learn and play a new sport' last year and started to practice with a local rugby team. I had been CrossFitting for about a year at the time and thought I was pretty fit. But these dudes were FAST...and strong. We timed ourselves in the 40 and I finished near the bottom. I did okay in a lot of the conditioning drills (burpees/push-ups) etc...so I didn't embarass myself. BUT - a few weeks later some dude came in. Short stocky guy, looked a bit like Maurice Jones-Drew a bit...white guy though.

This guy's speed/power made the entire team (Detroit Tradesmen) look relatively slow by comparison. I'm definitely not knocking anybody on that team as many of them were very fit and had played college football and/or rugby. but this guy was just different. He moved in a differnet gear and lapped the field on every drill. It almost looked like he was cheating or something.

Give this guy a barbell, teach him a thruster and double under and I'd say he'd be a competitive crossfitter in a few weeks. He could probably care less about crossfit but seeing him made me realize that even though I had a good 'fran' time and okay squat it didn't really mean much.

As it turned out the guy played in NFL Europe as a DB or something. My guess was that he was too short for the NFL.

Get out of the box and watch other athletes perform. It's an eye opener!
__________________
www.stclairshorescrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 AM   #134
Adam Acosta
Member Adam Acosta is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Whittier  CA
Posts: 243
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

A little update here:

I got a hold of Storm's training journal today and took a lot through it. Basically, for the last year, he's either been doing a single-lift max effort (usually 1 or 3 reps) or some type of bodypart split, running anywhere from 200m repeats up to 2 miles steady-state, or a CrossFit workout of some sort. About half the week he's doing two workouts in day and half the week he's doing three workouts in a day. Overall seems to lift about five days a week, run about five days a week, and CrossFit about four days a week.

You have to wonder how much of that recovery ability is genetic and how much has just been built up over the years by hard work.

On another note, his max power clean is over 70% of his max deadlift, and he's a fairly weak o-lifter technique-wise (feet come out too wide, lifts in running shoes). I guess there's something to be said for simple raw speed and explosiveness. We were doing tabata push presses the other day with 95 lbs and he turned out 14 per set! He isn't even that strong of a presser (<200 lb max), but that speed and speed endurance is just crazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #135
Blair Robert Lowe
Member Blair Robert Lowe is offline
 
Blair Robert Lowe's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento  CA
Posts: 7,948
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Look at Mikko Salo. More than likely he was an athlete since he was little and has been active ever since.

Many of the CFElite have been athletes before for a long before CF. Picking up CF isn't as difficult as most sports, skill wise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #136
Lewis Dunn
Member Lewis Dunn is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver  WA
Posts: 258
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Why don't you start from the assumption that there is a plan, take six months or a year of WODs, and see if you can figure it out?
Oh, I've done exactly that, over both short and long time spans, and can't figure out any pattern at all. It's ludicrous that anyone continues to claim there is a pattern without being able to explain what that pattern is. And the fact that the gets results is not evidence that there is a method to the madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It's not that I *can't* demonstrate the organization of the mainsite WODs,...
Yes, that is exactly what it is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #137
Chris J Mason
Member Chris J Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 80
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Lewis, so what?

What is your point?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #138
Adam Acosta
Member Adam Acosta is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Whittier  CA
Posts: 243
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Dunn View Post
Oh, I've done exactly that, over both short and long time spans, and can't figure out any pattern at all. It's ludicrous that anyone continues to claim there is a pattern without being able to explain what that pattern is. And the fact that the gets results is not evidence that there is a method to the madness.
I don't know what Katherine is referring to, but I think the only pattern CrossFit itself claims is that WODs draw more frequently from one subset of movements and time-to-completion ranges than others and that they try to keep a good balance between gymnastics movements, weightlifting movements, and monostructural endurance movements. Other than that, aside from avoiding the egregious overworking of particular body parts across consecutive WODs, it's basically random. Further, if you're self-programming, you should try to bias in favor of weaknesses rather than strengths.

That does constitute a method, if not programming in the more recognizable sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #139
Jason R O'Dell
Banned Jason R O'Dell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moore  OK
Posts: 3,396
Re: Since You Guys Are Always Wondering About Sport Carry-Over

Just a thought when talking about professional athletes (not jumping into the programming discussion). Did anyone see John Welbourne's interview with Rip? Seemed to me he was basically saying the majority of NFL players are freakish athletes that don't really need to work out that hard (and some of them don't) and can do most tasks you set in front of them due to incredible genetic ability.
He said something about a guy that never lifts but you can ask him to bench 500 and he'd do it with ease due to his ability.
Seems like with that kind of ringing endorsement you'd think they would fare pretty well at the games and if given a month to prepare would probably smoke it.

It was funny listening to him talk about how most NFL players just kind of do their own thing when working out and won't really listen if a trainer or someone tries to present something new to them because as he put it "If it ain't broke then don't fix it." He was talking about some NFL players doing circuit training with machines and never picking up a weight or barbbell but still dominating. I guess genetics and raw natural ability can get you pretty far.
He also made mention of the someone trying to fix something that wasn't broke (in this case a player being really tight, so they got him to stretch thinking it would make him faster) and it completely messing him up and making him worse off than before. Thought that was interesting too because I know a lot of CFers may say "Yeah they're good with the machines, but what if they did CF as their conditioning program? They'd be even better!"

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell : 04-04-2010 at 07:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wondering about weight. Robbi Mclean Starting 11 01-14-2009 06:15 AM
FYI - If you have been wondering all this time... Wayne Nelson Exercises 0 11-07-2007 09:15 PM
People wondering WTF Chris Fitzgerald Community 23 10-30-2006 08:51 AM
Things I've been wondering about Scott McAndrews Fitness 8 04-20-2004 01:05 PM
I was wondering if any of u combined wod with other sports kristof Workout of the Day 1 01-11-2004 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.