CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
MP CF is meant to be done on your own, IMO.
What makes you say that? Sure there are some benefits to working out at home, you can do it any time, you don't have to worry about being held back/holding anyone back, ....but there are plenty of benefits to working out at an affiliate.

Everyone has something to learn and there's no better opportunity than in a small group setting with a professional coach. Not only that, but I find a great improvement in my motivation. It's so easy to slack off or take it just a little bit easier, but when others are looking at me, I don't want to look weak/disappoint them. Maybe I'm just weak and undisciplined, but working out with just one other person dramatically improves my performance. I think the Army has said that an individual soldier is 85% more effective when working in a buddy team vs. alone. Many of the same benefits of that apply to the mentally and physically demanding workouts of CrossFit.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
What makes you say that? Sure there are some benefits to working out at home, you can do it any time, you don't have to worry about being held back/holding anyone back, ....but there are plenty of benefits to working out at an affiliate.

Everyone has something to learn and there's no better opportunity than in a small group setting with a professional coach. Not only that, but I find a great improvement in my motivation. It's so easy to slack off or take it just a little bit easier, but when others are looking at me, I don't want to look weak/disappoint them. Maybe I'm just weak and undisciplined, but working out with just one other person dramatically improves my performance. I think the Army has said that an individual soldier is 85% more effective when working in a buddy team vs. alone. Many of the same benefits of that apply to the mentally and physically demanding workouts of CrossFit.
I believe he means that he doesn't think .com is meant to be done on your own.

.com wods are not always viable to do with a class of 8+. most affiliates only have 1 or 2 ropes, if they have one at all...rowers are expensive and beginner affiliates don't necessarily have a fleet of them...etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Pat Dimitri

Profile:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you're underweight. Any event.. if you have the will to take muscle milk.. (which is ****) then you can certainly stomach a half gallon of milk a day.. if you eat 4 meals a day that just a glass with each meal. It's easier than you think.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Nicholas, truthfully I don't know exactly if MP is "meant" to be done alone or in a garage gym or whatever. But I know that tons, thousands probably, follow MP or do CF non-affiliate style, so there is really no reason OP can't.

My stopwatch works the same as the one at the affiliate, and my weights weigh the same too. I understand the group dynamics, but you are also doing workouts suited for the class, not for you.

And unfortunately, I see the programming of too many affiliates being all chippers with no rhyme or reason to them, IMO.

You like affiliates, I don't prefer them. No biggie.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Steve Loeding

Profile:

You can certainly do CrossFit at the Y - they have all the equipment there - just don't drop the weights or you won't be doing CrossFit at the Y for very long. I would drop by an affiliate (if one is close) and ask for a session to see if you are doing the moves correctly and how to correct any issues with form, etc. If your Y doesn't have rings, ask em to get some.

People like working out at affiliates for different reasons, and some people like to work out at home or alone. Nothing wrong with either.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:

I weigh 178. I had been down in the 160's then started bulking, some of which has been muscle but some has been fat =/ and I'm 5' 10 1/2"
Old 01-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #17
Casey Crooks

Profile:

What do you normally eat throughout the day?

And dont worry about the muscle mass you will gain from SS and crossfit. It wont slow your bodyweight stuff down, necessarily. Look up Rob Orlando or Josh Everett.

And yes, its worth it.

Last edited by Casey Crooks : 01-29-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #18
Daniel Cartwright

Profile:

I normally eat whatever's available. Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter.

For dinner I just eat whatever we're having, but unfortunately my family is not real organized so we have fast food/delivery more than we ought to.

I've decided to keep eating a lot, but to eat cleaner as much as possible (avoid fried foods, etc.)

I'll talk to my workout partner about cross fit. I would probably do it mon/wed/fri, but I guess I would do the workouts in order so like do Tuesday's workout on Wednesday, and Wednesday's workout on Friday?

Any way, I'll see how the eating more works out, maybe Starting Strength will work for me after all, but I am still very interested to try cross fit.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Go to the nutrition forum and just read for awhile.
go to www.*************
and www.marksdailyapple.com and read those.
And eat alot.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cartwright View Post
I normally eat whatever's available. Usually I'll have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for either breakfast or lunch. Sometimes for breakfast I'll eat toaster waffles with peanut butter and syrup. I try to eat a lot of peanut butter.

For dinner I just eat whatever we're having, but unfortunately my family is not real organized so we have fast food/delivery more than we ought to.

I've decided to keep eating a lot, but to eat cleaner as much as possible (avoid fried foods, etc.).
Read the links Casey gave you. Dude, you need to eat some PROTEIN. Beef, chicken, fish, eggs. Bread, waffles, peanut butter and jelly are just loading your body with carbs and sugar. I know you are somewhat limited by having to eat what's at home, but you have to make the effort.