CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:
Is it imperative to do starting strength when beginning Crossfit?

I have been crossfitting for two months now, and I see alot of people who are beginning crossfit, people recommend doing starting strength or some strength program due to the fact people are 1) skinny and need to get stronger, or completely new to weight training. Do i need to supplement a strength program as well? My totals are nothing to brag about. I have 375 squat 475 dl and 165 press at 5"11 195. Sure I would love to get stronger as well as raise my metcon. But to get stronger would i need a supplementing program along with the mainsite w.o.d. Im really intrigued with CfSB but I feel that I cant really program the w.o.d.s in the right setting so that i doesnt interfere with my strenght workouts for the next day.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Matt Corley

Profile:
Re: Is it imperative to do starting strength when beginning Crossfit?

You have a 1000+ lb CFT. Strength will not likely be a limiting factor for Crossfit.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
Nathan Kulas

Profile:

+1 for Matt Corley.

You will likely expect to see strength gains with CrossFit - but your real benefit will be with the MetCon. With your current numbers you shouldn't have any trouble with any of the WODs as Rx'd.

I wouldn't bother looking at CFSB yet though - give that at least a year or two. If you are concerned with strength at all, add in a 5x3 or a 3x5 on Day 1 of the 3 on 1 off before the WOD with one of the major lifts (Back Squat, Dead Lift, Clean, Press, Bench Press). This should give you additional strength gains - but really, this new to CrossFit, you probably don't need them quite yet - you might want to wait to add additional work to the WODs until you stop seeing linear gains.
27/m/68"/185# - 300 BP, 435 DL, 435 BS, 205 Clean, 100# wtd pull-up, 3:23 Fran, 22:50 Angie, 25 Cindy rds, 20:17 5K Row, 7:31 2K Row, 5:43 1 mile run
Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

It is definately NOT a requirement. This is especially true with your numbers, which are very good. Granted, you're not going to win any powerlifting competitions, but I'd wager you're in the top few percent of crossfitters.

CFSB is a great program, and I think you'd get more out of it then starting strength, which is designed for novice/beginner lifters and/or people looking to add a lot of mass. You probably could eck out some linear strength gains with SS, but it would be at the cost of all your metcon. There are three different CF-based programs that would probably benefit you more.

If you don't want to mess with trying to program your own heavy metcons or modifying the main-page WOD to fit within CFSB, I would recommend you research either Crossfit Football or Crossfit Wichita Falls. Both are very strength-biased approaches to crossfit and both provide programming for strength as well as metcon.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Montesinos View Post
I have been crossfitting for two months now, and I see alot of people who are beginning crossfit, people recommend doing starting strength or some strength program due to the fact people are 1) skinny and need to get stronger, or completely new to weight training. Do i need to supplement a strength program as well? My totals are nothing to brag about. I have 375 squat 475 dl and 165 press at 5"11 195. Sure I would love to get stronger as well as raise my metcon. But to get stronger would i need a supplementing program along with the mainsite w.o.d. Im really intrigued with CfSB but I feel that I cant really program the w.o.d.s in the right setting so that i doesnt interfere with my strenght workouts for the next day.
Those numbers are legit. You are fine.

(I'd work on the press a bit, though)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:

But thats the thing, Most of W.O.D.s that i do are not rx'd. I have to scale most cause so i can get the most of the w.o.d, I can do rx'd but I will be very sloppy and alot of broken sets which takes intensity out the door. The only w.o.d.s that i can think of that was rx'd was doing my first fran 5:12 and cindy 18 rounds.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
But thats the thing, Most of W.O.D.s that i do are not rx'd. I have to scale most cause so i can get the most of the w.o.d, I can do rx'd but I will be very sloppy and alot of broken sets which takes intensity out the door. The only w.o.d.s that i can think of that was rx'd was doing my first fran 5:12 and cindy 18 rounds.
For most workouts, the expectation is that most people will have to break up sets. These are *hard* workouts. The key to intensity is to keep that break as short as possible.

A 1000 lb CFT, 5 minute Fran, and 18 rounds of Cindy? Within two months? You're well on your way to firebreather status. Don't worry about it.

Katherine
Old 12-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Joshua Refenes

Profile:

Quote:
Jorge,
My numbers were very similar to yours when I started CrossFit (325 squat, 420 DL, 165 press).

The answer to your question takes a little bit of a judgement call on your part. Breaking sets is going to happen and it's no reason to not continue to do the WODs as prescribed. The question you have to answer though is are you breaking sets because the weight is too heavy or because you're getting winded and tired?

Based on your numbers, I'm going to guess that you are breaking sets because you're getting winded and tired. This doesn't mean you're losing intensity, it just means that you've got to build up your metcon capacity. I'd continue to try and do the workouts as Rx'd when they contain lifts and movements you are familiar and comfortable with, but don't hesitate to scale things that you aren't so familiar with.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Whether it feels like it to you or not, it is not your limit strength, but rather your metabolic (aka cardiovascular) and strength-endurance capacities that are slowing you down at this time. Your body can handle the loads, it's just not accustomed to the number of reps and sustaining the loads for 10-20, maybe even 30-45 minutes.

right now, that's what's forcing you to scale. as your metcon improves, you will be able to increase the weight up to Rx'd levels. I can tell you this is true, because your strength numbers are MUCH higher than mine, yet I can do about 2/3 of the WOD's as Rx'd. If I had your strength, it would be a VERY rare WOD that I'd have to scale.

Be patient... keep at it, and in 6 months you'll be putting up some monster times.

And Katherine is absolutely right that the expectation is that sets will often be broken. sometimes broken a lot. If you are sucking wind, your heart is bursting out of your chest, and you're drenched in sweat, the intensity is there, regardless of how broken the sets are.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
Jorge Montesinos

Profile:

spot on, that what it is, Im just not accustomed to these kind of metcon workouts, just been weight training consistently for 2 1/2 years with full body workouts of major lifts and incorporating oly lifts this past year. and playing soccer competitevly for 15 years. This Crossfit stuff really exploits your weakness.