CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Randy Barnett

Profile:
Crossfit and wrestling

Just a quick question.

Crossfit football has taken off very well. I intoduced the Crossfit training principles to my wrestlers last year and it made a huge difference in overall strength and stamina.

So the question is their going to be a specific Crossfit Wrestling certification in the near future. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks alot.

Randy

Quantum vos sudo palaestra, minor vos crudus bellum!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and wrestling

Randy,

Are you related to Jason Barnett of Desales and Ohio State? I actually "found" Crossfit by recommendation of a good friend of mine who works for Sorinex while I was in preparation for Brockport and Cedar Falls regionals last year. I think it is only a matter of time before most wrestling teams will incorporate Crossfit training. It is such a perfect fit.

I run an affiliate in Dublin, and believe it or not, I have actually had a hard time getting high school wrestlers in the area into our facility...even when I have offered it for free or at an extreme discount

However, I will be working with the Medina HS team (mostly remotely from Dublin, with some in house instruction) this year. I am EXTREMELY interested in being at least a part of developing Crossfit Wrestling (although i don't know how much it would actually deviate from "Crossfit"). I hope that working with Medina will be a start in the right direction.

Let me know if you want to get together to brainstorm, looks like we are close!

Tom
Old 08-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Randy Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
Randy,

Are you related to Jason Barnett of Desales and Ohio State? I actually "found" Crossfit by recommendation of a good friend of mine who works for Sorinex while I was in preparation for Brockport and Cedar Falls regionals last year. I think it is only a matter of time before most wrestling teams will incorporate Crossfit training. It is such a perfect fit.

I run an affiliate in Dublin, and believe it or not, I have actually had a hard time getting high school wrestlers in the area into our facility...even when I have offered it for free or at an extreme discount

However, I will be working with the Medina HS team (mostly remotely from Dublin, with some in house instruction) this year. I am EXTREMELY interested in being at least a part of developing Crossfit Wrestling (although i don't know how much it would actually deviate from "Crossfit"). I hope that working with Medina will be a start in the right direction.

Let me know if you want to get together to brainstorm, looks like we are close!

Tom
Hey Tom,

I know Jason, but am not related. I met him last year at a meet in Bexely.

I am actually the assistant at Columbus Academy under Paul Bukky. Last year was my first year and I primarily do the conditioning for the team. We had a great year. All the guys ended the season with positive win status. Actually won a league match. One went to regionals probably would have gone to state, but he didnt get his hips right in time the a reversal. We have 7 returning varsity wrestlers. Which actuallly is our whole team. I would say could all seven actually go to state this year, barring injury.

I am very analitical when it come to wrestling and the weaknesses that my wrestlers have, and actually came up with some really great training techniques that proved fruitful last year. I am already designing the conditioning phase for when the season starts. My guys truely know the meaning of bad day when it comes to training. They whimper a little but hard charge on. To answer your question. Yes I would love to brainstorm. Its only a natural progression that Crossfit moves its way on the wrestling mat. You can reach me via email. rbarnett@lff.com or at bastionsarrow@yahoo.com. I think we could do great things.

Talk to you soon.

Last edited by Randy Barnett : 08-26-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Keith Landau

Profile:

If you guys do this then I'm guessing that there would be a lot of interest in your program from the BJJ and submission grappling scene as well. Cast your net wide...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
Eric Cady

Profile:

i teach BJJ/ Submission wrestling/ and CrossFit and I've been working on the same thing as what you guys are talking about. I'd love to hear so ideas! I know that general CF has helped me perform and win in sub competitions but trying to make CF more specific without throwing out the baby with the bath water seems a little tricky at this point. The variety of skilled movement, and the effort to develop them has made me more effective. It takes away from my mat time but it is athletic development, not simply conditioning.

A lot of the guys that i know that compete do intense conditioning and mistake it for athletic development.I've been trying to get wrestlers, martial artists to invest in the development and they have been unwilling, sticking with simple conditioning drills that don't increase ex: range of motion, over all strength, agility, balance, timing......
Just blabbin' here and discussing some of the areas that I see as blocks to CF implementation thus far in my experience. thoughts?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cady View Post
A lot of the guys that i know that compete do intense conditioning and mistake it for athletic development.I've been trying to get wrestlers, martial artists to invest in the development and they have been unwilling, sticking with simple conditioning drills that don't increase ex: range of motion, over all strength, agility, balance, timing......
Just blabbin' here and discussing some of the areas that I see as blocks to CF implementation thus far in my experience. thoughts?
Ignorance is bliss... My (aikido) dojo has a copy of an old Japanese judo training manual. It has an extensive strength and conditioning program, including a section on the usefulness of free weights that could have been written by Rippetoe or Glassman. If you think its existence might help persuade people, I could dig up the reference for you.

Katherine
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cady View Post
i teach BJJ/ Submission wrestling/ and CrossFit and I've been working on the same thing as what you guys are talking about. I'd love to hear so ideas! I know that general CF has helped me perform and win in sub competitions but trying to make CF more specific without throwing out the baby with the bath water seems a little tricky at this point. The variety of skilled movement, and the effort to develop them has made me more effective. It takes away from my mat time but it is athletic development, not simply conditioning.

I hear you, Eric. The problem is that Crossfit IS the perfect strength and conditioning program for wrestlers, grapplers, etc. There is no need to change the program to something that would be "specific" towards wrestling. So, "Crossfit Wrestling" would just turn into a marketing ploy. It also kind of goes against the concept of GPP and sport specific training.

Katherine, Eric said "most", not all. It is an overwhelming majority that do not subscribe to overall GPP and just stick to "conditioning". Fortunately for those that do subscribe, they will have a distinct advantage in competition. I observe the ego obstacle of high school coaches. IN GENERAL AND FOR THE MOST PART, high school coaches believe that their methods of training are good enough and/or they do not believe that overall athletic development is as important as it is. What I have seen in the high school weight rooms is scary, both in programming and in technique. 10 sets of 10 reps bench press for wrestling?!?! Leg extensions and curls?!?! Isolation movement circuits with no means of measuring progress?!?!
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Seryak View Post
Katherine, Eric said "most", not all. It is an overwhelming majority that do not subscribe to overall GPP and just stick to "conditioning". Fortunately for those that do subscribe, they will have a distinct advantage in competition.
Oh, absolutely. Sorry that wasn't clear. -- Katherine
Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

[quote=Tom Seryak;660259]I hear you, Eric. The problem is that Crossfit IS the perfect strength and conditioning program for wrestlers, grapplers, etc. There is no need to change the program to something that would be "specific" towards wrestling. So, "Crossfit Wrestling" would just turn into a marketing ploy. It also kind of goes against the concept of GPP and sport specific training.

I disagree with this. Crossfit is a great building block for fighters but is no way the end all for fighting. There are specific movements that need to be crafted and worked with added resistance, not to mention the specific conditioning demands in wrestling and BJJ. Fighting is no different than any other sport. You have to specialize to be great. I know the Pit (John Hackleman) is working on a PIT wod....This could be a step in the right direction. Crossfit is a great program and ideology.....but it is not a blanket solution for all that is athletic or sports related.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Mods please delete....I am not smart enough to quote correctly.
Thanks,