CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #41
John Devine

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Recomendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
If i was to arrange a group purchase order for this stuff.. who would be on board?
I'm in.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #42
Stas Gorbis

Profile:

I'm in for sure.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #43
Norman Tasfi

Profile:

if you can get a quote, lemme know...I'd be happy to grab some
Old 08-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #44
Oliver Sneddon

Profile:

I wouldn't recommend caps, the heating process that forms caps isn't good for the integrity of the oil.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #45
Frank E Morel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Sneddon View Post
I wouldn't recommend caps, the heating process that forms caps isn't good for the integrity of the oil.
based on?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #46
Oliver Sneddon

Profile:

Quote:
based on?
Based on the fact oil activity doesn't like heat. Oil doesn't even like light, the best oils come in dark bottle to shut out the light, and they're "cold pressed", to maintain integrity. If there are people out there forming gel caps and it doesn't use heat in the process it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #47
Oliver Sneddon

Profile:

Quote:
based on?
Oops- I've just realised you had arranged a bulk buy, I didn't realise, I was responding to the initial posts. It's hard to find non caps for fish oil, they're better than not getting any fish oil at all, if you can't find the liquid, which also tastes pretty gross.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #48
Michael Maurice

Profile:

Costco (Kirkland) has a newer brand out labeled Enteric Coated Fish Oil Omega 3 One Per Day.

On the lower left of the front label is MEG-3 stamp.

If you go to the back and see the small print, MEG-3 is a trademark of Ocean Nutrition Canada.

If you google that company you find their website. If their marketing is legit, they are supplying about the highest grade of fish oil you can buy.

WFS

http://www.onc.ca/
Old 08-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #49
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Nice thread. I buy Fish Oil from Innatechoice.com (WFS). It's called Omega Sufficiency. Supossedly it's been third party tested and it's quite good. The 500ml bottle costs about $53. This is liquid, not caps.

Reading Robb Wolf's recommended dosage seems incredible to me. Up to 1gram per 10lbs of BW? I think if I took close to 17 grams I'd finish the bottle rather quickly! In this one I take, each teaspoon has about 1.2 grams of both combined. I currently take it 3x day, but I use a TABLEspoon although I don't fill it completely, but probably a little bit more than a teaspoon. So I imagine I'm taking, at most, 4.5 grams daily. I wonder what would happen if I doubled that dose......
Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #50
Oliver Sneddon

Profile:

From my perspective you're taking omega3's to keep the omega3mega6 in check, not necessarily on bodyweight. There will be RDAs for healthy fats based on bodyweight, but the main concern with most folks is they're taking way too much omega6 and too little omega3 which causes ill health. To know how much omega3, you have to know how much omega6 you're getting. It gets troublesome for me quantifying amounts because it's simple enough to work out omega6 then balance with a similar amount of omega3, but when you start talking about taking combinations of omega3 or/and EPA&DHA it's less clear.

I'm hearing fish oil now, due to the EPA/DHA and the fact you don't use as much in the form of omega3 (from flax), but there are omega3's you'll need other than EPA/DHA that come from omega3. If the average conversion rate of omega3 to EPA/DHA is 10% and only 10% of my omega3 is supposed to be EPA/DHA, I suppose I should just take omega3 from flax. I'm still looking into it. Presumably anyone trying to balance their omega6 intake wouldn't be taking similar amounts of EPA/DHA, but 10% of that amount?