CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:
Re: Couple of clarifying questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
I heard the other day a guy talking about a Power Snatch...

Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J.

Sean
I'm confused too, Sean. The snatch is perhaps not the best way to build raw power and strength in the lower body - use 3-5 rep back squats and front squats for that - but it is maybe the single best way to exhibit and develop whole-body athleticism. It will make you stronger over a full range of motion in virtually every part of the body. It will make you jump higher. Do thrusters faster. Throw things farther. Even do handstands with more stability. The power that it develops is in such a complicated movement pattern that it transfers really well to seemingly non-similar pursuits. And there is no reason not to do the snatch just because you're also doing cleans and jerks. That's like not doing rope climbs just because you're doing pull-ups.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J."

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You are trying to develop a program of your own and you can't figure out the usefulness of a power snatch or realize how it differs from C+J? This sounds like plan destine for failure.
Jamie are you listening or are you just waiting to talk...?

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.
Yip your response makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever in view of what I was talking about.

Have a nice day

Sean
Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

The squat in the squat snatch is not the only useful component for training. The pull, second pull, the balance involved - all of it is good for athleticism.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Yip your response makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever in view of what I was talking about."

You were talking about the power snatch, which is a highly useful excersize, seeing as coach, John Welborn, Greg Everett and others using it in their programming. THe point of the power snatch is to train the explosive part of the movement, the first and second pull.

The power snatch and the power clean and jerk are similar yet different excersizes and I don't see how you can confused the two. If you have trained both, you will find they effect you differently.

This could explained as a simple beginner mistake if you haven;t been trying to come up with new programming since you got here. You need to read more and post less.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Yip your response makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever in view of what I was talking about."

You were talking about the power snatch, which is a highly useful excersize, seeing as coach, John Welborn, Greg Everett and others using it in their programming.
Never said it wasn't useful, I asked how is it useful.
c-o-m-p-r-e-h-e-n-s-i-o-n.

Quote:
The point of the power snatch is to train the explosive part of the movement, the first and second pull.
Yes thank you I have now learned that, I do ask questions cos I want to understand WHY I'm doing things. Just do what you're told is not a particularly good way to become educated on PT. It is however a good way to become dependant on someone else for your programming, not always the best idea depending on your situation.

Quote:
The power snatch and the power clean and jerk are similar yet different excersizes and I don't see how you can confused the two.
Um.....when did I get them confused...?

Quote:
If you have trained both, you will find they effect you differently.
I am training both the Power Clean and straight Snatch. The Power Snatch is something new to me, so I ask a question. so... what's your point here.

Quote:
This could explained as a simple beginner mistake if you haven;t been trying to come up with new programming since you got here.
OK...you do realise this sentence make no sense...

Quote:
You need to read more and post less.
1. This is a public discussion board
2. I am discussing PT / CF specific stuff
3. People are answering my questions
4. If you want to communicate your displease with me, I welcome you to
5. But it aint gonna stop me from trying to gain better understanding of some of the new principles that CF has reintroduced.

Most of the PT guys at my Gym love CF, but they do laugh at the CF coolaid drinkers. I was talking to the head PT guy just yesterday. (read Masters in PT)

This is his argument
1. CF is great for GPP - Absolutly
2. But if you are training for some specific outcomes, (read anything other then CF-Games) you need to add stuff to the program or at least change the balance / mix - Yes (Point in case - CF-FB)
3. So I need to understand where and how to add stuff - Yes

Hmmmm....I wonder why I'm asking Questions. Oh and BTW I'm not trying to invent my own program, 80% of my question came from how to successfully join CF-SB + WOD + CF-E together while also adding some SPP Stamina work. Most VALID feedback has only worded concerns at over training, which I am monitoring and have yet to see.

The other 20% are "hmm that's interesting why do we do it that way for" questions.

I have many PT guys who are agreeing with my programing, some of you guys don't, I respect that, but to think that no one elses PoV (read guys with Masters in PT) is valid is a pretty big statement don't you think.

Honestly if you're sick of newbies asking questions then move to a closed forum and most of you I assume are not Mods, i.e. your opinon of weather newbies Qs are valid or not holds very little weight.

Ok....now we're arguing over the net....always my goal in life...!?

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 07-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Double
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Um.....when did I get them confused...?"

When you said

"If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J"

"Never said it wasn't useful, I asked how is it useful. "

Really, you did?

"Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J."

is a really crappy way of asking what the snatch is for, since the two people that responded both though it sounded alot like

"Power snatch? that doesn't seem like it's good for anything"

If you want to ask a question about something, it's a good idea to not sound insulting to the thing you are asking about.

"I am training both the Power Clean and straight Snatch. The Power Snatch is something new to me, so I ask a question. so... what's your point here."

My point is for alot of training, you actually have to try it, you can't get all you need from reading. Experimentation in training is paramount.

"OK...you do realise this sentence make no sense..."

And yet you tell me I need to work on comprehension. You have been trying to come up with programming in a fair number of your threads and yet you don't know anything about one of the more useful and basic excersizes which leads me to believe there are a host of other things you don't know. You need to find these things out, here, there, and somewhere else before trying to come up with stuff on your own.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Sean's straight, he's just direct and really wants to figure out what works for his goals. He's definitely putting the time and energy into the process, so if he isn't terribly familiar with some things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. BTW he definitely comes across differently with the Kiwi accent
Old 07-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
I heard the other day a guy talking about a Power Snatch...

Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J.

Sean
Quote:
Um.....when did I get them confused...?"
When you said
"If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J"
Well from a newbie PoV that what they do look like, never said that's what it is....so your point is?

Quote:
"Never said it wasn't useful, I asked how is it useful. "

Really, you did?
Fair enough could have been clearer on that point.

Quote:

is a really crappy way of asking what the snatch is for, since the two people that responded both though it sounded alot like
"Surely the Squat is the snatch?" is a question, the answer is, "Yes kinda, but it is also the pelvic thrust, which you can focus on training by minimizing the squat a little bit, i.e. Power Squat"

See how easy that was...that was about 24 words, how many words have you used so far telling me I'm a pain in the ass?

BTW some would argue that the Pelvic thrust / Hip power isnt what the Snatch is about as the Clean trains the same. It's the Power trained by the decaleration of the Squat under weight. But I guess I shouldn't listen to the Certified Olympic Coach at my gym.

Quote:
"Power snatch? that doesn't seem like it's good for anything"

If you want to ask a question about something, it's a good idea to not sound insulting to the thing you are asking about.
Um...pretty sure I didn't say that...could be wrong....let me look...nope didn't think so. Trying to put words in someones mouth is an interesting debating techneque, I should try that sometime. Oh and I do owe you an apology, I forget that Oly lifts have fellings.

Quote:
"I am training both the Power Clean and straight Snatch. The Power Snatch is something new to me, so I ask a question. so... what's your point here."

My point is for alot of training, you actually have to try it, you can't get all you need from reading. Experimentation in training is paramount.
Bulls**t, so I should just try everything I'm told to do by everybody! EDUCATED experimentation in training is paramount, uneducated is just asking for a screw-up. And this is what I'm doing here, I have some specific goals that arguably will be obtained better by changing the balance of the WOD or adding additional stuff on. Before I experiment with this, I ask the opinon of more educated people, so at least I am undertaking some semi educated experimentation.

Quote:
"OK...you do realise this sentence make no sense..."

And yet you tell me I need to work on comprehension. You have been trying to come up with programming in a fair number of your threads and yet you don't know anything about one of the more useful and basic excersizes which leads me to believe there are a host of other things you don't know. You need to find these things out, here, there, and somewhere else before trying to come up with stuff on your own.
LMAO, I don't even know how to explain how that makes absolutly no sense. Give me a moment to wrap my head around how ilogical that statement is.

Lets keep arguming over the net shall we....it's so much fun!

S

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 07-08-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Sean's straight, he's just direct and really wants to figure out what works for his goals. He's definitely putting the time and energy into the process, so if he isn't terribly familiar with some things I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. BTW he definitely comes across differently with the Kiwi accent
Now you're just being racist! BTW we invented the language! so stop taking the f**kin 'u' out of everything!