CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Couple of clarifying questions...

Ok, I've got a couple of clarification questions...

First, what's the difference between a clean and a power-clean?

Second, I'm reading through the CFJ from the beginning, and I hit issue 13. They talk about the bench mark girls and some of the rationale behind the workouts. I looked through Angie, Barbara, and Cindy, and they looked just like they do in the FAQs. My eyes bugged out when I looked at Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran... 21-15-9, 3 rounds for time. the '3 rounds for time' made me almost choke! Do they mean 3 rounds as in '1 round of 21, 1 round of 15, and 1 round of 9'? Or did they seriously program those three as murderous 3 rounds of 21-15-9?
Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Charles Hwang

Profile:
Re: Couple of clarifying questions...

The only difference between a clean and a power-clean is where you finish your pull and ultimately rack the bar. A clean means you get real low into a squat to catch the bar while on a power clean, your legs are at a larger than 90 degree angle when the bar gets racked on your shoulders. All other mechanics are the same on both including setup, the explosiveness of the motion of the hips, etc.

3 rounds for time means 1 of 21, 1 of 15, and 1 of 9. But the total time for all three rounds is your "score" so you keep the clock running until the 45th rep of those girls.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense for both.

The clean/power clean thing had been confusing me for awhile.

I also appreciate the clarification on the WODs... I did Fran today, took off 16 seconds (5:56 down to 5:40, and much better form now too!), thought I had done the 21-15-9 the right way (I had seen it done that way in the videos too), and then just about freaked when I saw the '3 rounds for time' bit. Fran looked a whole heck of a lot scarier!
Old 07-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Sam Ser

Profile:

regarding the clean (which is a squat clean) vs. the power clean, it helps me to think of it this way:

when you do a push press, you dip just a little bit. and it's right about there that you catch the bar in the power clean.

when you do a thruster, though, you squat all the way down before coming up and pressing the bar overhead. in the squat clean, you catch the bar much closer to your full squat (you continue down a little more as you absorb the weight).

hope that helps.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense for both.

The clean/power clean thing had been confusing me for awhile.

I also appreciate the clarification on the WODs... I did Fran today, took off 16 seconds (5:56 down to 5:40, and much better form now too!), thought I had done the 21-15-9 the right way (I had seen it done that way in the videos too), and then just about freaked when I saw the '3 rounds for time' bit. Fran looked a whole heck of a lot scarier!
where did you see '3 rounds for time' associated with those workouts?? I think you may have mixed up 'Helen' the 'Fran' and 'Diane'.

Helen is 3 rounds...21-15-9 is 'reps of'.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

I heard the other day a guy talking about a Power Snatch...

Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J.

Sean
Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The hand position on the bar is much different for the snatch, a much wider grip than a clean and jerk. For a power snatch you wouldn't drop all the way into a squat position just the same as you wouldn't for a power clean but would for a squat clean. So you are removing the overhead squat part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nc4DpIzns8 wfs

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 07-04-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
where did you see '3 rounds for time' associated with those workouts??
In CFJ Issue #13, in the inset box that lists Angie, Barbara, Chelsea, Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran, underneath Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran, it says '21-15-9 reps 3 rounds for time'. Based on everything I had seen before that, I am guessing that the '3 rounds' means 1 round of 21 + 1 round of 15 + 1 round of 9 = 3 rounds.

If you've got a CFJ subscritpion, check it out, the article is titled 'Benchmark workouts', issue #13, September 2003.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J."

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You are trying to develop a program of your own and you can't figure out the usefulness of a power snatch or realize how it differs from C+J? This sounds like plan destine for failure.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Surely the Squat in the snatch IS the exercise? If you take that out it turns into a funny looking C+J."

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever. You are trying to develop a program of your own and you can't figure out the usefulness of a power snatch or realize how it differs from C+J? This sounds like plan destine for failure.
It's what happens when you try to come up with something that's better than Crossfit without any real world experience. When you're understanding is entirely academic rather than practical, you spend quite a bit of time caught up in minutiae that doesn't really matter in the real world, and dismiss outright other elements that people with a real world background know to be effective. Ultimately you spend a lot of time spinning your wheels developing a program that will most likely offer worse results than just following Mainpage. In this case it's quite obvious that Sean isn't even looking at Mainpage (if only for reference) since he apparently missed http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/003349.html (WFS) and http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/c...wer-snatch.mov (WFS).

It's not the first time we've seen this on the board and certainly won't be the last.