CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
Mark Martinez

Profile:
Re: Full belly while squatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kornishev View Post
I am a bit confused about Valsalva Maneuver. As far as I know it refers only to forceful exhalation while keeping airways closed and does not involve expanding belly or keeping air in diaphragm. Contracting abdominal muscles while keeping air in diaphragm is different from just taking a deep breath in and keeping the air in (most people will do it in chest unless told otherwise). Personally I feel stronger if I follow this expanding the waist line approach in squat and DL even though I am not using belt. I probably should mention that I tend to use pretty low bar placing and at the bottom of the squat there is a significant torso angle. Keeping air in the diaphragm seems to be adding more support and creating stronger torso in bottom position and on the way up. At least that's how it feels.
Pretend you're doing number two in the bathroom, but not for real. That's a Valsalva maneuver.

I personally contract core to a similar state, as to when I cough. Then I do the Valsalva, as I lift/pull whatever.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:
Re: Full belly while squatting.

Mark, yeah, i have been always doing what you are saying for heavy lifts (without giving it much thought, I guess it is the most natural thing to do).
Few months ago I read EFS manual and started concentrating on the approach I described above. Squat felt much stronger right away, but it took some time to get used to it in DL, and I still can't do it properly in Sumo DL. Since I find it beneficial I wanted to see what other people think of it. Apparently not many people are familiar with it.
Steven, thanks! I am pretty sure I searched well on both CF and Strength Mill forums, but you would know better, I agree
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19