CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #1
David J Murray

Profile:
sports specific training

when training for an event example decathlons. I am using crossfit for my conditioning training and my crossfit coach says what ever the days WOD is thats what Im doing. so if I do 2 or 3 crossfit wods in a week and they are all metcons will this still maximise my performance on the track and field even though I may miss all the days we do strength wods and max lift wods. Is it still important for me to add these lifts to my program or just keep rocking up and doing the prescribed WOD for that day?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Christian Mason

Profile:
Re: sports specific training

There are a few issues here:

1. The heavy strength is important, no matter what you're doing. Doing all metcons will not result in the same gains.

2. The old refrain, what are you goals? What training specific to your track events are you doing? Crossfit could arguable be a valuable component of cross training for track and field events, and Crossfit will make you a well rounded athlete. Crossfit alone won't make you a stand out track and field athlete though.

3. Presuming that #2 (your sport specific work) is in order, I'd still argue that your max effort work is paramount. It's much easier for me to see you getting anaerobic/power endurance work as part of your track training than Mx strength work there.

Last edited by Christian Mason : 06-09-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added point #3, will probably edit again when I realize I mispelled something.