CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #21
Randy Hill

Profile:
Re: So, I finally kipped...

Made another step in my kipping pullup today. I finally understand bringing the belly button and chin through, and it really helps me get up to the bar - the problem for me now is pushing away from the bar to maintain the momentum. I can't seem to push away and always seem to drop to a dead hang and have to start over again. Practice makes better.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #22
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hill View Post
Made another step in my kipping pullup today. I finally understand bringing the belly button and chin through, and it really helps me get up to the bar - the problem for me now is pushing away from the bar to maintain the momentum. I can't seem to push away and always seem to drop to a dead hang and have to start over again. Practice makes better.
think about holding for a second at the top...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #23
Mike Onghena

Profile:

Thanks to the OP of this thread. This thread got me motivated to try and learn this kipping thing. So, I watched all of the instructional videos I could find and then went for it. I found the 3 'Adrian teaches...' ones to be the best, especially the short one about the hip movement practiced on the ground.

I'm not quite there yet, but was able to string together 3 at once. I think part of my problem is equipment. My bar is too close to my basement ceiling joists, running parallel to them. It is not a problem for deadhang as I can thread my head between them, but there is so much lateral movement with the kip that I feel I was actually cutting them short with my arms on the way up as the hip drive stronger to avoid head impact. I must be the first person to ever wear a helmet to do pullups.. I think I'd get it pretty quick now on a good bar, just need to work the push-off.

The turning point was when I was working on the technique in the video where it was back, front, back, front/knees up. After a few reps I found some sort of bounce where my knees started shooting up, as opposed to being lifted up. My first reaction was 'stop that', as if it was wrong, like hip drive in a barbell curl. Then I realized that was the whole point, and it felt very natural after awhile.

I need to hit a playground to get this down. Theres a bar in my office, but I don't trust the flimsy wall I hung it over. I might take the whole aisle down.

I also understand all of the hand problems people have with these. They are brutal compared to deadhang and barbell work.

Thanks again to OP for getting me this far!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #24
Randy Hill

Profile:

I am starting to get it to. Today it kind of clicked for me! Once I understood the opening the hips thing, it was smooth sailing. Still need to work on it, though!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #25
Thomas Baker

Profile:

I also have the same issue. Once I get to the top I kind of awkwardly fall down into a dead-hang position and lose all momentum...everyone else @ my gym seems to get the Kip pretty quick, except me.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 AM   #26
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Would it help you to think of the entire motion as moving in an arc and conserving the momentum throughout the motion?

I guess my aikido experience has carried through to more than I realized...