CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
Adam Carlson

Profile:
At what point...

...is someone ready to challenge the WODs? My buddies and I had been working out consistently and were in good shape from other sports, and CF still kicks our butt regularly (although we have gotten addicted to that feeling). Now I've got more people wanting to join in with us and get in better shape (I'm a high school teacher and coach, and known on campus as being the 'fit' guy). I would love to have company over the summer while doing the WODs, but don't want to risk injuring students. At the same time, I'd love to see them doing CF over the summer so that they can dominate in sports during the fall.

Is there a newbie prep course that they can do?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
Christopher Day

Profile:
Re: At what point...

It may seem too simple (although it is simple) but why can't you just scale the workouts using brand x?
Old 05-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you're looking for a prep course, teach the 9 fundamental movements using nothing more than PVC and a basketball. It is impossible to hurt someone with that little weight. Once their form is good, slowly add weight and do WODs scaled. Add in other basic movements like KB swings, thrusters, C&J, snatches, HSPUs, kipping pullups, wall balls, and GHD work in the same way.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

You get ready for CF by doing CF. IF the people you are training have a particualr weakness (endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility) you may want to emphasize that kind of training, but not to the exclusion of other training.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

I started by starting and scaling. After a bit, I backed off and just did the CFWU for a couple weeks to get used to the basic movements, and then got back in.

Let everyone jump in as they desire and are able. Keep an open discussion of scaling, skills, and options.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Evan Hobbs

Profile:

I know a lot of people won't agree but I'm not a big believer in scaling. If someone has already been lifting for a few months and has been built up their strength, technique, and motor function doing basic and oly lifts then it's ok to start adding in doing things as fast as possible like in CF. But until then I'd just tell them to hit the weight room.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Matthew Klein

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Hobbs View Post
I know a lot of people won't agree but I'm not a big believer in scaling. If someone has already been lifting for a few months and has been built up their strength, technique, and motor function doing basic and oly lifts then it's ok to start adding in doing things as fast as possible like in CF. But until then I'd just tell them to hit the weight room.
That doesn't make much sense to me. The weights that need to be scaled are ones found within a context of a metcon, and one can still reap huge benefits from metcons doing the workout under the weight RX'd because of the nature of the workout. Sure there will be some strength benefits from the metcon, but it's primary focus is conditioning. And besides, it's not like they'll be lifiting any greater weight outside of the realm of Crossfit. If they can't do 21 unbroken 95 pound thrusters in CrossFit, they aren't going to be able to in whatever other "weight room" they're hitting.

Granted, form and safety is important. But it can still be taught within this program.

Last edited by Matthew Klein : 05-14-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Marcus Allen

Profile:

If the company is going to be HS kids, then you need to pay special attention to their differences. Constantly checking form under no load to assess growth spurts etc.

Start with squats, DL's, SDHP's with a ball. Visit CFKids ALOT and talk to Jeff. He is amazing.

Its a different game with teenagers and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

You could spend upto 4 weeks working no load squats with teenagers to get their form nailed down, only to have to start over because they grew 1/2 inch and now their mechanics are out of whack.

If the company is adults, then absolutely scale via Brand x, and use skill work to learn the movements and warm up.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

You should get certified L1 it looks like.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Evan Hobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Klein View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me. The weights that need to be scaled are ones found within a context of a metcon, and one can still reap huge benefits from metcons doing the workout under the weight RX'd because of the nature of the workout. Sure there will be some strength benefits from the metcon, but it's primary focus is conditioning. And besides, it's not like they'll be lifiting any greater weight outside of the realm of Crossfit. If they can't do 21 unbroken 95 pound thrusters in CrossFit, they aren't going to be able to in whatever other "weight room" they're hitting.

Granted, form and safety is important. But it can still be taught within this program.
I hear what you're saying... I think though when you're learning a new movement pattern you need more than practice; you need a bunch of practice doing it perfectly. Otherwise you can just as easily ingrain the incorrect movement pattern as the right one. They might not be able to do 21 perfect thrusters but they might be able to do eight perfect thrusters in the gym when they're not under time stress and fatigue and work up from there.

I'm not saying they can't get benefits from metcon stuff; I'm just saying that teaching someone a new skill then saying 'now go do it as fast as possible while you're already fatigued' before it's really well-learned is counter-productive. I think they would be better served hitting the weight room to learn the movements and get strong and get their metcon from non-skill based stuff (i.e. running, rowing) for a while before combining the two.

Anyway, I recognize that there are other views on this but that's mine... Cheers.