CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Feel like I'm restarting.

Don't worry about rushing things. Set specific, realistic goals and train as hard as you can to reach them. If you want to squat and deadlift 245 again, then make a plan to reach those goals. Next time you're in the gym (which is going to be soon, right?) test where you are. Then you'll know how far you have to go. Make sure you squat and deadlift heavy once a week at least, and add weight to the bar each time. You'll be back there before you know it.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Don't worry about rushing things. Set specific, realistic goals and train as hard as you can to reach them. If you want to squat and deadlift 245 again, then make a plan to reach those goals. Next time you're in the gym (which is going to be soon, right?) test where you are. Then you'll know how far you have to go. Make sure you squat and deadlift heavy once a week at least, and add weight to the bar each time. You'll be back there before you know it.

See that's what I wondered about the heavy lifting. I enjoy doing heavy squats, DL and bench. I've been doing them usually in addition to a WoD at least once, but no more than twice a week.

I don't want to substitute a WoD with the heavy lifts because I enjoy the cardio benefits of the WoD. So I do both, but I've been told by people not to. But, I haven't had a problem with it so far other than it taking more time.

Oh and of course I'm warned that if I do those heavy lifts twice a week that my body will get used to it and I won't have any gains, but I think that's kind of silly because increasing the weight and reps keeps the body guessing.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Who told you that if you lift heavy regularly your body will get used to it and you wont make gains? You should not listen to that person anymore.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Who told you that if you lift heavy regularly your body will get used to it and you wont make gains? You should not listen to that person anymore.
Well it's the whole "Don't get into a routine thing or else you won't make any gains" theory. I think some people take it to the way extreme though.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Yesterday is gone. Can't do anything about it... and having fun on your honeymoon is good, too.

But tomorrow you can change. You're starting again, but if you check your log I'll bet you'll see that you're still ahead of where you were a few months ago.

Stuff happens. Vacations, injuries, illness, and just plain life all intervene. Keep plodding along anyway, and you'll get there eventually.

Katherine
Old 03-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #16
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

It happens. Try not to get too emo about it. Drink some coffee, get hyped up, and hit the gym with a vengeance.

I'm taking my own advice in a similar situation right now, fwiw.

But as an aside...I'm sure you did some "working out" on your Honeymoon, right? Or at least, I sure hope so, for your sake!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Haha. Yeah yeah. Those were some good workouts.

I'm sure I burned some calories walking around Universal Studios for 10 hours. My god, I didn't think I could stand again after I got back to the car.

I swam a bit too, but nothing intense.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Don't sweat it man, just get back in the gym ASAP and hit it with a new wind in your sails. It takes a lot longer than 2 weeks to lose massive amounts of strength. Hell, you might even be better after the layoff.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
Greg Pieris

Profile:

you haven't lost strength, you've just detrained a little. You won't have lost any muscle mass, the detraining is purely neurological.

So don't worry, it will come back very quickly.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Don't worry about two weeks of a once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully) experience spent away from the gym. A week off from time to time is good for mental health, and letting your body recover to 100% every once in a while (vs the 80-95% most of us keep ourselves at most of the time) is also good for you. Scale the WODs down a little bit, ease into it for a week, then no more excuses and go for it! You'll do just fine