CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Brian!!!

Good to see you back on the boards. Hope to see you around the gym soon.

For those that haven't witnessed Brian in person, he is a MONSTER.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #22
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
Though I agree that it is possible to gain functional gymnastics strength through weighted work, in most cases I really don't see any point. Of course injury and no access to equipment is an exception, but creativity allows for some amazing things.

I cannot think of a bodyweight exercise that couldn't be modified (in position or technique) to make it as hard as lifting heavy weights.

Pushups become elevated and range of motion increases.

Pullups become muscle-ups.

Squats become pistols. Pistols add bounding or incline.

Stomach work becomes leg lifts or straight body pulls, even backflips. Leg lifts become windshield wipers. Straight body pulls become declined.

Grip work, as far as I've seen, has never been an issue for a gymnast.

I suppose dips become too easy without weights, but there are other bodyweight exercises that primarly target the triceps such as V-holds with legs supported, progressing toward Manna.

Am I missing anything?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #23
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Yes, I agree there isn't enough of a reason to add weightlifting into a gymnast's training due to the immense exercises one can think up of with one's own body and the amount of skill a gymnast has. I favor weightlifting for gymnastics mainly because I have only begun gymnastics as of a year ago, and I went into it very strong due to my weightlifting/calisthenic background. My coach showed me bodyweight exercises I'd never seen before and I showed him some he'd never seen before.

(Message edited by brian_d on June 22, 2007)
Old 06-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #24
Steven Low

Profile:
While most bodyweight exercises can be replaced, I don't think there is an acceptable replacement for olympic lifts like cleans for explosive work. IMO pistols and plyo don't cut it for that.

For the most part though I'd say pretty much 99% of the bodyweight exercises are superior to weightlifting ones because they involve moving the body through space. The superiority is derived from the increased neurological activity and body awareness gained.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
Daniel Schmieding

Profile:
There's a warm, special place in my heart for those olympic lifts. Still, tumbling and vaulting seems as explosive as it gets... both of which end up being "max effort" bodyweight lifts, whether it be a double backflip or a high level vaulting skill.

Is there any available data comparing Olympic Lifters with gymnasts? I've seen so many random comparisons throughout the years dealing with football and baseball and swimming and gymnastics, but somehow when it comes to those "Which sport has the fittest athletes?" headlines, Oly Lifting unfairly gets left out of the mix.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #26
Steven Low

Profile:
I don't think vaulting and tumbling are enough of a workout to count as explosive training with pistols and plyo even though it does help, although you just reminded me about rings giants which, if done with vaulting and tumbling I think would be enough with the conditioning. The point being you need a lot of specific back work; usually technique work is not enough unless a lot of stuff is hitting. If you're not doing at least rings, vault and floor I would suggest supplemental weightlifting program for leg work. 2 MIGHT events be enough plus conditioning, but it wouldn't be optimal IMO.