CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-31-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
Jon Cross

Profile:
Building a dummy for drag/fireman's carry etc...

I'm looking to assemble a dummy for range training as well as performing practice workouts of the Marine Corps' new CFT. It would need to be sturdy, able to be tossed around, and roughly 180-200 pounds. Has anyone here tried to assemble something similar?
I'm currently thinking of making a "skeleton" of foam tubes that are sold as kids pool toys. From there I would add sand bags for a torso, and half filled bags around the arms and legs until the weight is right. Lash everything together well, and start wrapping it in strips of sheets and blankets or closed cell foam (goodwill blankets would probably be a lot cheaper) to fill it out and add bulk. From there, drop it into a set of cammies and hopefully it'll hold up. It's just an idea and I'd love to here any other suggestions out there for anyone who's gone through this trial and error process before. Thanks
Jon Cross
USMC
Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
Matthew Green

Profile:
Re: Building a dummy for drag/fireman's carry etc...

Why not just use one sandbag?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Jon Cross

Profile:

I had thought about that- using a large sea bag or grain sack that would be the same weight, or even using my heavy bag that is sitting unused right now (no room for a punching bag in the new house). I am hoping to work out something that will more closely duplicate a human body to simply recreate the Combat Fitness Test as realistically as possible, and the same for running range drills involving a carry-handle drag. If I can't figure out an easy and cheap way to put something together I will probably just go with a single large bag, but I'd like to mimic our test as closely as I can.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Matthew Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cross View Post
I had thought about that- using a large sea bag or grain sack that would be the same weight, or even using my heavy bag that is sitting unused right now (no room for a punching bag in the new house). I am hoping to work out something that will more closely duplicate a human body to simply recreate the Combat Fitness Test as realistically as possible, and the same for running range drills involving a carry-handle drag. If I can't figure out an easy and cheap way to put something together I will probably just go with a single large bag, but I'd like to mimic our test as closely as I can.
Can I be brutally honest?

Why waste (what seems would be a lot of) time and money creating a piece of equipment that would provide little extra advantage over what you already have. You could spend that time lifting, dragging and carrying your heavy bag or a heavier sandbag (which literally would take very little time to put together),

I'm not trying to be rude, just saving you some time that could be spent more productively
Old 10-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Dear Joe,

this guy has the same plan as you - maybe you ask him?

- http://aabrouwer.blogspot.com/2008/0...ing-dummy.html

Also, see this earlier thread which has a lot of relevant links:

- http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=12705&page=1

Regards,

Christian
Old 11-02-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
Eric Davis

Profile:

This page has instructions for a DIY grappling dummy you could possibly add some sand to make it heavier. http://www.geocities.com/fightrainin...lingdummy.html (wfs)