CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Should you workout very sore muscles?

Hey there, I've been following (scaled versions of) the WOD for about a month now, I'm no stranger to soreness... however, I was substituting dips with push-ups of some form until yesterday, when I did the 50/40/30/20/10 workout (although I skipped the 50 and started at 40!). It hurted to do dips so far, maybe because I had shoulder surgery almost 12 weeks ago (tomorow it'll be 12 weeks). But yesterday I tried them, on parallel handles, not rings, and could do them. Needless to say, my dip strength is way off. I find them harder than deadhang pullups, actually way harder!! I can do 10 strict deadhangs but I could only do about 5 dips. My time for the workout sucked, even when I started at 40, since the dips took so long, in sets of 4, 3, 2 and even 1 (and a couple of missed attempts!) ....

Anyways, today is my rest day and my shoulders are soooore as hell. Triceps are also very sore, and pecs a bit sore but not that much.

So, tomorrow I'm doing the one with Thrusters (gonna scale weight though) and muscle-ups, and the muscle-ups, since I cannot do, should be sub'd with pullups and dips... There is no way I'm going to do 4 of each, or even 3! I was thinking of maybe 2 of each = 1 MU for the time being. But I'm worried... what if my shoulders are still so sore tomorrow, should I still do it? Is 48 hours of rest really enough, or is there a chance of any damage/injury for doing it?

This is all speculating though, maybe I'm not so sore tomorrow... although the way it feels right now, I'm guessing I'll be sore indeed!!

On a final note: why is my mid back sore!? Wow, dips are the devil Today I bought some chain and will do some home-made rings, but I don't think I'll use them tomorrow, should I choose to workout. I've been on the 3on / 1off schedule and don't wanna take an extra rest day.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Should you workout very sore muscles?

Generally, soreness will level off a little as you warm-up. If you're too sore, you may want to take some extra rest (especially since the dips are relatively new and you may want a little extra recovery to ease into them).

If you've been using 3 on, 1 off for a month, then you need a half-intensity week anyways, so it is by no means a bad thing for you to take tomorrow off and take it relatively easy for a week. You'll be stronger afterwards.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
Justin McGinley

Profile:

I was surprised to see muscleups appear two days after that 50-40-30-20-10 workout. I imagine a lot of people were sore going into Sunday's workout.

It is okay to lift with sore muscles, as long as the soreness starts to fade while warming up/working out. If they are getting more sore, you need another day of rest.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

After Derek's post, I started reading about the "half intensity" week, and I think I'm in need of one. So today's workout was not full intensity, although it felt hard!! Heh.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #5
Brett Zimmerman

Profile:

Hey Arturo,

I started doing Crossfit about two months after shoulder surgery as well. Dips were definitely one of the most uncomfortable because of the pressure it puts on the shoulder. I have two answers to your question. The first is, if the pain is purely muscle, and not something deeper/sharper/grinding/etc..., then I think it's fine to work a sore muscle. The second answer I have though is that, even if it is just muscle pain, keep in mind that post-surgery, those muscles will have atrophied quite a bit. If you hammer them before they're ready I do think you're at risk for re-injury (or maybe a new injury). So, long answer short, you know yourself better than anyone, if the pain just simply soreness, that's Crossfit, if it's something more, back off so you can stay healthy.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Thank you, Brett.

I have learned not to be dumb and limit myself even if I don't want to. For example, yesterday's workout was 15-12-9 of 135# thrusters and muscle ups. For the thrusters, I used 23# dumbells (started half intensity week, so used less weight than I would've used otherwise-- which would still not have been close to 135# anyways). It was very easy since I didn't break down the sets of thrusters. However, for the muscle ups... the sub is 4 pullups and 4 dips.. wow. Well, since I was so sore from dips 2 days earlier, I decided to do push-ups, with hands on blocks for an increased ROM. And I onlly did 2 of them, and 2 jumping pullups (I'm stronger on pullups so I didn't even feel the jumping pullups). Maybe a few months ago I would've been dumb enough to push through it with dips or something, but not anymore. This was yesterday and I feel much better today, much less-sore actually (but still a bit).

Today is tabata something else and I will only do 3 rounds of each movement because of the half-intensity thing. (which by the way, was more like half-weight yesterday, but still very intense, I'm hoping I'm doing this right).