CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Back Squat form check

For fun my wife and I brought the camera to the gym today for our 5x5 strength workout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SlatOulT68 (WFS)

Comments appreciated.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
Corey Cedeno

Profile:
Re: Back Squat form check

Pretty good. But I have a couple comments that could help you out:

1. Get your head down. Don't look in the mirror and keep your neck straight.

2. It looked like your heels were coming off the ground (couldn't tell for sure). Make sure that the weight is on your heels and off your toes.

3. Ditch the pad.

Other than that, nice drive.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Alexandre Korotkov

Profile:

Hey daniel,

I think your squatting suffering because of lagging hamstring/lower back flexibility, at the bottom of your squat your back is coming nearly parallel to the floor! This essentialy turns the squat into a good morning type exercise and works your lower back more than anything else, my suggestion is to work on your flexibility, you are unable to "sit down" into the squat.

Here is a good article on this: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085 (WS)

strong first post lol
Old 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Darn it Alex, you hit everything I was going to say!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Thanks guys,

I am working on my flexibility at the bottom, doing the "third-world squat" a few times a day and working on staying there longer each time. I think it will improve before the weight gets inordinately heavy (I'm doing a linear progression now and so far the weight hasn't felt too bad).

Curious: why ditch the pad?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Alexandre Korotkov

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Thanks guys,

I am working on my flexibility at the bottom, doing the "third-world squat" a few times a day and working on staying there longer each time. I think it will improve before the weight gets inordinately heavy (I'm doing a linear progression now and so far the weight hasn't felt too bad).

Curious: why ditch the pad?
I have done some reading about pad usage during squats, and the consensus seems that it is less stable, it places the weight too far up on your spine (almost on your neck) i also observed this in your video. The low bar position is the ideal pos. for a back squat, but it is harder to achieve with a pad because the bar is now farther away from your body and this requires greater shoulder flexibility that some people lack.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My friend and I were discussing high bar back squatting and our switch to low bar. Quite a difference. I know some who lean more towards Oly lifting and don't do the low bar. I did it a long time and it's pretty simple stupid to start off with just a high bar. For some it isn't too comfortable but there is slightly more to learn and figure out with the low bar. However, I figured it out pretty fast after I had given up by just playing with it.

Both my friend and I come from a coach who would simply say towels and pads are well, you get the idea. I would hate to have a weight slip and that's what I worried about in the low bar. Honestly, if you have hopes of ever holding up an asston of weight, you need to get past the towels and pads because there is going to be some discomfort and pain involved.

When twice your BW is on your back and it feels like it trying to squish you into the ground, it's a far differen feeling than if it's sub BW as you don't get that.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Bryan Gates

Profile:

Are you attempting the olympic back squat or the Rippetoe backsquat?

Heels were definitely coming off the ground because the weight was shifting forward. The bar is traveling horizontally most of the descent causing the wieght to be shifted towards your toes. The reason the bar is traveling horizontally is because you are leaning over too far. Concentrate on keeping the weight over the middle of the foot, directly in front of the heel, leaning over far enough only to keep your balance.

Your flexibility isnt bad. You are hitting close to parallel with excessive lean. Excessive lean would stretch the hamstrings further, so once you get the lean issue nipped in the bud then I think you will be hitting parallel without too much issue.

Horizontal displacement if any should be minimized. The more there is the harder the rep will be and it will begin to limit how much weight you can lift. The bar path should be pretty much stictly vertical.

The pad does make the bar harder to control. You need the tactile stimulus to tell you what is going on with the bar.

Looking down: try staring at a spot about 6-10 feet infront of you when you squat otherwise bring a tennis ball, put it under your chin, and hold it there while you squat.

If you do not have a copy of Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe now, then procure one immediately. Once you have it read it 5 or 6 times minimum.

Last edited by Bryan Gates : 08-10-2008 at 07:51 PM.