CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
John Frazer

Profile:
I've been working on the Level II standards and have noticed a disparity between my strength and my muscular endurance. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar experience.

By way of background, I'm 40 years old, 6'2", 180 lb., 15% body fat according to the Tanita scale (which I have my doubts about).

Here are some of the exercises where the CF North standards test the same muscles for both 1 RM and endurance, and my results:

Bench press: 165# (standard = BW)
Pushups: 20 (standard = 30)

Squats: 80 (a few months ago) (standard = 100)
Back squat: 195#

Bar dips: 6 (standard = 20)
Weighted dip: 30# (standard = 1/3 BW)

Pullups: 12 (standard = 20)
Weighted pullup: 50# (standard = 1/3 BW)

Power snatch: 95# (standard = 1/2 BW)
KB snatch: 3x24kg ea. arm (standard = 30 each arm) (but can do a dozen or more each arm with 20kg)

I've always thought I lacked basic strength, but here it seems I'm doing a lot better on limit strength than on endurance.

I've been following Coach Rut's template and getting a 5x5 or 5x3 into each 3-day cycle, but I'm wondering if that's my best plan for continued progress.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
You don't actually say what your endurance or met con numbers are.

Are you closer to meeting the met con endurance standards or farther away?

At 6'2" and 180 with 15% BF I would think you need to add some muscle, I would stick with what you are doing adding 5x5 or something similar.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
John Frazer

Profile:
Craig,

I did list my muscular endurance numbers (max pushups, pullups, etc.), which is what I was asking about.

For whatever it's worth, my "speed" numbers are making it for the short distances (1:31/400m run, 1:45/500m row) but not quite there when the distances get longer.

Note that as mentioned I'm already doing the 5x5/5x3 thing.

John
Old 09-03-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I miss-understood I was thinking of endurance as in running/rowing.

I meant to say keep the added 5x5 program IMO. In my experience whenever my max strength goes up my endurance numbers go up, to a certain point. ie push your BP up to 275 and your pushup numbers will follow, as well as getting your weighted pullup/dip numbers up and your unweighted ones should follow.

I do think it has less crossover for really high reps, like when you are working on reps closer to 100 for endurance. This is from my personal experience, your mileage may vary.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I've noticed that I'm more strong than endurant. I've begun working on this, but since my schedule at the time doesn't allow me to do every WOD, I've enginered a home training program, that you might get a little inspiration from.

The general idea is creating 3 different goals at a time - a goal cycle, you may call it. The first cycle has the following 3 goals: 8 onearm pushups per arm, 250 squats and 1 minute of L-sit. Once these 3 goals has been accomplished, it's time for the next goal cycle: 50 pushups, 10 onelegged squats per leg and 2 minutes of frog stance. Etcetera ...

You get the general idea: working on either strength or endurance and split it between upper- and lower body + an extra goal to spice it up. So 1 goal for upperbody - strength - 1 for lower body - endurance - and once these have been reached, you shift to 1 goal for upper body - endurance - and 1 for lower body - strength.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Adam C Lautenschlager

Profile:
Get your kip dialed in and you'll be at 20 pullups in no time.