CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
Please critique my Squat and Deadlift.

Hello folks. Today I did my CFT, and I videotaped the last two sets of both squats, and deadlifts.

Back Squat:
45x5, 95x3, 125x2, 145x5, 165x1
185x1
200x1 - Form check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWE_pyGSI0 WFS
210x1 - Form check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWAqSNKHfCY WFS

Deadlift:
135x5, 185x3, 215x2
235x1
255x1 - Form check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQmX_8Bct8 WFS (took shirt off to see arch in back better)
265x1 - Form check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsvucpyr1LY WFS (took shirt off to see arch in back better)

I wish I didn't delete the 235lb DL video now, but it seemed to me that I kept my back straighter in that one. However, I still rose the hips before my shoulders in that one, I think I'm starting with the hips too low?? Still, in that one my back seemed more straight.. I know these two DL videos are not the best. Is this form bad enough to be dangerous, the one shown in these 255 and 265 videos?

And the squat, I struggled on that 210, the 200 seemed better didn't it? I had never tried for a 1RM on these exercises, and it's been a while since I do them.

Any advice is welcome!!
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Please critique my Squat and Deadlift.

Form is much better on the 200lb BS as you keep the arch to the bottom.

Does it hurt to splay the elbows back like that? When I mimic the motion in air it doesn't seem comfortable.

Arturo, chime in tomorrow or friday on whether your lower or middle back are aching. You seem to be DL with this area mostly, somewhat like a GM.

To me, your hips do go up first and then you rise the bar with your back and torso.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

His hips go up first on the deadlift because they're too low in his "set" position. When the bar leaves the ground his hips come up to where they should be and his shoulders come forward to where they should be as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Britt Buckingham

Profile:

As the other 2 said you are shooting your hips first as you pull. The bar and hips should rise simultainously. In your "set" position, think of locking yourself like a lever, then instead of thinking "pull" think "PUSH" your feet through the floor everything should move higher at the same time not hips first. Lighten the weight and get your form solid before you have a train wreck with bad technique.

http://brittlift.blogspot.com
Old 07-31-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Blair: nothing ahces, it's been about 20 hours since the sessin. I'm just a bit sore in the upper back, nothing else. I tried putting my elbows up to create more "padding" for the barbell... I can't stand the freakin' barbell over me, I absolutely hate barbell squats because of this, they seem to crush my shoulder bones... that's why I use that towell wrapped around it, and it still bothers me.

On the DL: my own thoughts were that my "set" possition was too low also, like Derek Franks has stated. And what Britt just said I think he hit the nail on the head, I'm pretty sure I'm thinking "pull", and not "push" with my feet, thanks for that advice buddy, will try it next time. I also reckon if I "push" myself into possition before beggining the lift, my "set" possition would be with my hips higher of course.

Derek: also thanks for the shoulder thing, I didn't even remember where they should be (despite reading the instructions again before doing the exercise).
Old 07-31-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

Here is your set position:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Set_DL.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2138

Here is your pull position:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pull_DL.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2139

Basically you can't pull effectively from your set position which is why your hips rise to get you into the correct pull position. It's usually easier if you just make your set position the same, but as long as you pull from the correct position, you're not really doing anything wrong. I don't see anything that makes me think you're going to hurt yourself. The deadlift itself looks pretty good.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Derek: I cannot thank you enough, seeing those two photos back to back many times has helped a ton. I always thought the arms should be straight down, but now I see that the arms are not entirely vertical in the SS illustration!
Old 07-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Here is your set position:
Attachment 2138

Here is your pull position:
Attachment 2139

Basically you can't pull effectively from your set position which is why your hips rise to get you into the correct pull position. It's usually easier if you just make your set position the same, but as long as you pull from the correct position, you're not really doing anything wrong. I don't see anything that makes me think you're going to hurt yourself. The deadlift itself looks pretty good.

Great snapshots Derek.

Arturo - get your set position a little more straightened out (not literally) and focus on setting your back and bringing up your chest before the lift, or your back is going to round like that on all your heavy sets (notice that as soon as you come up, your back comes out and your chest goes down!). This is a bad habit that I share with you on my 1RM efforts, so I can relate. It gets worse as you get stronger if you don't nip it now. You REALLY have to focus on setting the back. I thought I was doing it correctly 'til Rip punched me in the lower back with a fist and showed me the right way. Also, work on lowering the weight. If you have SS, this is addressed pretty well in the DL section.

Also, no offense, but your squat needs a lot of work. Start looking at the vids on the ************ forums that Rip has critiqued and GET RID OF THE TOWEL immediately. All of your issues (well, maybe not the towel...don't think anyone would risk the Wrath of Rip by posting a vid with a towel...) have been addressed in these vids: http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1334 WFS. To be fair, the 200 vid isn't nearly as bad as the 210 vid. Get rid of the towel, get rid of the box, don't hyperarch your back while unracking the weight, don't shake around your legs before your reps, don't look up, watch the knees tracking forward, etc. etc. Watch the vids and practice at 135, tape it, watch yourself, adjust, etc. and get back with us.

For such a skinny fella, you've got a good base of strength, and working on the form now should ensure that you start putting up some impressive numbers soon. Just work on the form and don't get greedy. Also, please put some pants on. Please.

Last edited by Jacob Cloud : 07-31-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Jacob: thanks a lot for the advice, heh, but don't make me look like fool! The only reason I shook my legs is because I was sitting, watching the previous video, and when I stood up the joins felt somehow a bit "cold".. I don't do it on every set, in fact, that was probably the only set I did that on the entire day. About the pants, sorry about that, but I did check to see if "anything not proper" was shown in the video and I thought not. Next time I will for sure. It's just so hot here in the caribbean, and in my appartment, that I workout like that often (you can see I had a shirt before, in the squat sets, and I was already soaking sweat, after the presses, the shirt felt like a 5 pound vest and I dislike the feeling of such a heavy/swety shirt on me so I took it off, and also for the reason of showing my back arch). But I'll wear shorts next time

Ok, enough about that, lemme watch those videos you mentioned. I really, honestly, sincerely, think that my structure just wont let me place the freakin' barbell over me without destroying my bones. This fear is enhanced by the fact that I spent over a year dealing with AC joint pain, and finally had acromioplasty 9 weeks ago... and I feel that having that much weight over my bones could be bad for me. But I do think I'm just not getting it right, because even with the towel, it hurts.

Oh, and about the box.. I'm not flexible enough to sqaut fully without butt wink. I used to use 6 wooden blocks actually, now I use 5 (and you can see I get quite lower than just parallel), and was thinking that if my videos look good on 5 blocks maybe I would lower to 4 blocks, and keep doing this unless I get rid of them. I use use them to measure depth, not ding box-squats. Just like I see in the videos that even the known CF'ers do their thrusters in Fran down to a Medicine Ball ??
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Hey, to be fair, I threw in some compliments there as well.

I had a similar AC surgery in December, so again, I can relate. There's still no excuse for a towel, though props for being back after only 9 weeks. I was still carrying my arm like it was in the sling at 9 weeks out. Personally, I have to wear the bar a little higher than Rip would probably like, but the flexibility and comfort level requires it. You might need to just gain some muscle-cushion up there. Drink some milk!

As for the leg shaking - I've personally seen people injure themselves doing stupid stuff that has nothing to do with actual squat form. Unracking the bar is different for a lot of people, but in one of your vids, it looks like your back is in an unnatural position, hence the comment. I've seen someone strain an adductor shaking their legs under a weight. Bad habit, good to hear you don't do it often. Try to never do it! If you need to warm up, do it before you're under the bar.

In regards to the boards/box, my opinion differs from some, I'll admit that. I'm of the school that unless you're doing box squats, don't use a box. I don't do thrusters with a medicine ball, either. You're entitled to your own opinion on this one, but mine is that the box is not needed. Experience will teach you when you've reached proper depth on every rep.