CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #1
sam nutt

Profile:
deadlift help

From yesterday's 5-5-5-5-5 workout, with a couple of warmup sets as a prelude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF6bmkGiU7A (link is WFS)

It runs to about 6 min, so please don't feel compelled to watch the whole thing. Feedback on even a single rep would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:
Re: deadlift help

Looked pretty good; some slight rounding of the shoulders on the heavier sets, but that's to be expected. If you can maintain perfect form on your "max" set, then it's not really your max.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Your setting yourself with your butt a little to low and your shoulders directly over the bar and it is causing your back to bend a bit. Start the pull with your butt slightly higher, your shoulders a little infront of the bar and your back as tight as you can, arched would be best

-Robert
Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Tony Stock

Profile:

That was good but some guy was deadlifting right in the middle of the shot so i couldnt get a real good look at her.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
sam nutt

Profile:

Thanks Christopher and Robert for your help. It's been a bit humbling having to reduce weights so much in an effort to achieve perfect form.

And Tony, I can confirm that she is a cutie in real life, too. I'll be off to the side a bit more in future vids.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Looking good, the only thing I'll repeat is to keep that back TIGHT.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Nice form till the last sets. I will admit I lost concentration for a bit while she was trying to do whatever she was trying to do. I think it was a DL, but the long legs and shorts distracted me. Any short guy who doesn't go gaga for long legged girls is a damn liar.

From the start, your back is ever so slightly rounded and it rounds exponentially as the weight goes up. Looks pretty good otherwise. Start the DL with tension in the back. It should feel tight from the get go.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

From the start, your back is ever so slightly rounded and it rounds exponentially as the weight goes up. Looks pretty good otherwise. Start the DL with tension in the back. It should feel tight from the get go.
Agreed.

Also, on the descent, you're starting by unlocking the knees (and letting them drift forward) instead of the hips. That's gotta be more annoying for you than us, and is easy to fix. Break the hips, lower the bar below the knees, and bend the knees to get to the ground. Pg 128 of SS, complete with pics.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Britt Buckingham

Profile:

Like the other guy who posted a DL the other day, you are "shooting your hips" (beginning your lift out of your hips.) This happens a lot with guys who are doing conventional DL in Weightlifting shoes. I couldnt tell if you had your grip staggered or not. Especially with a staggered grip it is difficult to get in the optimal pulling position with an elevated heel. Hip position in a Deadlift vs an olympic pull is slightly different. If you want increased power for Olympic movements then set up hips higher akin to RDL and do the pull explosively to shrug etc. If you want to increase your deadlift, loose the elevated heels, lock in and get your center further back on your foot towards the heel, and drive your heels and feet through floor pulling your hips through not so much up.

http://brittlift.blogspot.com
Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
John Keiper

Profile:

Not bad at all. I agree with Britt about losing the shoes. Maybe try wrestling shoes or chucks. I powerlifting it is generally thought to be ok to lift with a rounded upper back as long as the lower back is arched or at least flat. I would try to sit back more so you can try to get your shoulders behind the bar. By doing this your own body weight will sorta counter balance the weight on the bar and assist in the pull. Also I had a hard time telling, but if your shoes do hav eheels it will be harder to get your weight back I would think. Also I do agree that it is better to drop weight sometimes until the form is very good. To help with staying tight try to breathe in to your stomach and push it out. If you think about it if you take a deep breathe into your chest your shoulders will rise. And so will the distance that the bar has to be pulled. By breathing into your stomach and pushing your abs out you will really lock in your core and feel much more stable. That is the best tip I ever found for squats and deads. Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work and good luck.