CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Nick Shimondle

Profile:
Getting enough of all your macronutrients?

Hi everybody, first of all I would just like to say that thanks to CF and zoning I have experienced the true feeling of fitness. I used to be on a calorie restricted diet and all I did was row everyday since I row for my school so I thought that if I specialized in that I would get really good, boy was I wrong. Anyways back to my question. I know that if you are on the zone and are not getting enough fat then your performance/concentration will start to falter and you can go 2x or 3x, but how can you tell if you are not getting enough carbs or protein, what will your body tell you? I again thank this community for its continued support for elite fitness!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Getting enough of all your macronutrients?

Carbs shouldn't be an issue on the Zone. Even if you are running a little light on carbs, you should have enough time to replenish glycogen on your off days.

Protein... I think most people on Zone are a bit light on the protein. The .7 multiplier is just not enough in my opinion. The problem though is that if you bump it to say, 1.0 you may not be calorically restricted enough, with the increase in carb and fat calories, to achieve the leaning out that so many love the Zone for.

either way, if your energy drops, you don't get stronger and your PR's fail to improve, even with ample rest and recovery techniques... you're not getting enough of any of the macros.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Nick Shimondle

Profile:
Re: Getting enough of all your macronutrients?

Thanks Derek! Yea that makes sense to me, I was just wondering