CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Shawn Hultquist

Profile:
Golf exercises ???

I havent played golf in about 23 years and am starting to get back into it and was looking for some swing strengthening exercises. To all you forum regulators I did a search and came up with rotational exercises. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing to improve thier strength for thier swing. I follow the WOD asrx'd and eat paleo 75% of the time. I 5'10" 195 lbs and a CFT of 1015.

Would one arm OHS be good or maybe some turkish get ups?

Thought, opinions, and suggestions
Shawn
Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Polo Lopez

Profile:
Re: Golf exercises ???

I worked along side some golf "Pro" trainers. They worked w/Mark Verstgen from Core Performance and Athletes Performance House in Arizona. Seems to me that a lot of the exercises focus on improving the swing but would it not be better just to get out the course and work on your technical swing. Golf appears to be a back heavy sport. The golfers I worked with all had lower back problems from swinging. So, you could also work on power, ie. cleans, snatch, deads, you should be able to transfer that power into the swing. KB work like TGU's and American swings would help mid-line as well. There is so much more you can do from CF but it 's a start. I'm sure a cycle of Starting Strength would help too. The transfer of power thru the hips and back into the arms is where your focus should be. That's my 2 cents. I hope it helps. Interested to know so whatever you do keep me updated. Thanks
Old 06-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Shawn Hultquist

Profile:

Yes I plan on going and getting some lessons before I start back. Will keep doing CF and see what the "pro" says to do.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 06-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Lift heavy and lift explosive. Well, lift explosive since you're already pretty strong. Oly is a good idea.

No need for rotational exercise (there's a couple great threads on this... one of which Coach and a lot of oldies chime in on for rotational exercise and how they're generally useless with a good program of heavy lifting). Search for it if you want.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
Eric Machus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lift heavy and lift explosive. Well, lift explosive since you're already pretty strong. Oly is a good idea.

No need for rotational exercise (there's a couple great threads on this... one of which Coach and a lot of oldies chime in on for rotational exercise and how they're generally useless with a good program of heavy lifting). Search for it if you want.
classic this comes up now. I considered posting something but it seemed kind of stupid at the time. I was reading Titleist's new fitness website, i know but I do like golfing. Anyway, somewhere on the site one of the trainers mentioned if they had to pick one lift for golf they would pick the deadlift and another mentioned how key and critical the overhead squat is for training and assessing fitness. Any can't say if i was more surprised or impressed. anyway go ahead and check out the Titleist Performance Institute.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Machus View Post
classic this comes up now. I considered posting something but it seemed kind of stupid at the time. I was reading Titleist's new fitness website, i know but I do like golfing. Anyway, somewhere on the site one of the trainers mentioned if they had to pick one lift for golf they would pick the deadlift and another mentioned how key and critical the overhead squat is for training and assessing fitness. Any can't say if i was more surprised or impressed. anyway go ahead and check out the Titleist Performance Institute.
Ok so I am a former competitve golfer (about a 5 handicap and played in a lot of local tourney's). Anyway, my affiliate recently blogged about this indirectly.

Check here: http://sanfranciscocrossfit.blogspot...-rotation.html

wfs
Old 06-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Eric Machus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post
Ok so I am a former competitve golfer (about a 5 handicap and played in a lot of local tourney's). Anyway, my affiliate recently blogged about this indirectly.

wfs
Interesting. My index is ~5, btw. My fitness has really increased in the last 18 months or so while golf time has decreased even more dramatically (family/kids, work) and whatever leisure time I have is mostly devoted to fitness. Crossfit also appeals to my focus on being time efficient.

My game hung in there for a while and then my ability to hit woods basically fell off a cliff. I am just turning the corner and getting it back. beyond not playing/practicing enough I had become flexible and strong enough that the old "feel" of this is back far enough and this is the right tempo had gotten way out of whack. the tight feel came with a lot more shoulder and hip turn (well past parallel at the top) and I was coming through way too fast. proper tempo feels really easy and slow now. very odd. have you ever experienced anything like this? I am looking forward to playing a little more this summer and getting my handicap down to the low single digits and breaking par for 18. (only done it for 9).
Old 06-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Eric Machus

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post

wfs
Just noticed you are from San Fran. Ever played Olympic? I got to play there once, on a friday right before the club championship. Great, great course and experience.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Nick Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Machus View Post
Just noticed you are from San Fran. Ever played Olympic? I got to play there once, on a friday right before the club championship. Great, great course and experience.
Never played olympic. Although its definitely a goal. Hopefully sometime in the next year. The biggest thing that I noticed with golf is my ability to hold my posture. This was always a huge problem for me do to a weak midline and posterior chain. Although my short game sucks because I don't play too much anymore, my long game might actually be more consistent.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

I know Ripptoe says that they're bad, and I'm no expert, but I've been told by people who should know that Decline Bench Presses are good for Golfers since they exercise the arms in roughly the same angle away from the body.

FWIW.