CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Daren Reavis
Member Daren Reavis is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sandy  UT
Posts: 8
Muscle-up strain

I did my first muscle-up about a week ago. (Believe me, it wasn't pretty). However, I am not sure if I am doing it right. I have been doing pullups/chinups regularly for about six months, but whenever I try to do a muscle-up, my arms hurt for hours afterwards. It isn't a good hurt. It feels like I've strained my muscles every time I do it. Maybe it is because the muscle-up requires that fast jerk movement to get up and my muscles aren't used to that.

So, I am looking for suggestions of how to properly warm-up and prepare to train muscle-ups (and hopefully avoid the pain afterwards). My goal is to be able to do 10 muscle-ups by year end. I don't know if I should just push through the pain or what. (By the way, I'm 30 years old and in decent shape).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Muscle-up strain

Avoid pain. If you're heavy, there's more stress on your joints and muscles unfortunately.

Explosive pullups and dips. Work the transition.. negatives, assisted, theraband, etc.

I'd prefer you try to learn a deadhang muscle up.... but yeah. It will take longer.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Daren Reavis
Member Daren Reavis is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sandy  UT
Posts: 8
Re: Muscle-up strain

I only weigh 180lbs. By deadhang muscle-up do you mean no kipping at all? I don't even see how that is possible. The pullups and the dips I can handle, it's the transition that gets me. Is there a way to work just that part?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Andres Gordo
Member Andres Gordo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Altamonte Springs  FL
Posts: 226
Re: Muscle-up strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren Reavis View Post
I only weigh 180lbs. By deadhang muscle-up do you mean no kipping at all? I don't even see how that is possible. The pullups and the dips I can handle, it's the transition that gets me. Is there a way to work just that part?
I'm wondering that same thing working on the transition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson
Member Scott Allen Hanson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Idaho Falls  Idaho
Posts: 1,008
Re: Muscle-up strain

Work the transition without full bodyweight. Do seated muscle-ups, jumping muscle ups, or lower your rings to so that you are just below your transition point when standing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Muscle-up strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Work the transition without full bodyweight. Do seated muscle-ups, jumping muscle ups, or lower your rings to so that you are just below your transition point when standing.
Good ideas.

I also gave you some good ideas in my post about transition which you seemed to have glossed over... Also, the muscle up vids on the mainpage are good as well. Think about doing them through the transition; it's basically a type of row where you're pulling your hands all the way to your armpits and thrusting the elbows back behind you as you lean forward and put your head through the cables.

And yes, deadhang muscle ups are DEFINIETLY possible. I'm 135 lbs and I've done one with +65 lbs attached to me which is ~200 lbs so you can do one too.
__________________
Posts are NOT medical, training, nutrition info
Bodyweight Article, Overcoming Gravity Book
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Steven Quadros
Member Steven Quadros is offline
 
Steven Quadros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn  NY
Posts: 433
Re: Muscle-up strain

I got muscle up happy when I first got my rings; the result- a dull ache in both of my arms that would last for about a half hour after I finished working, sometimes a little more.

I learned very quickly that I needed to take it easy, especially with volume, and also with the dip portion, which can be taken quite a bit deeper than bar dips, and as such can put a lot of strain on the muscles of the chest and shoulder if one isn't ready for it. my upperbody isn't particularly strong though, so your mileage may vary. For comparison, I weigh around 185 at 6 ft tall, and my latest SS workout had me benching 172x5x3 and OHP 105x5x3, both of them being hard for me. I can dead hang pull up around 8 reps for 3 sets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
Andres Gordo
Member Andres Gordo is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Altamonte Springs  FL
Posts: 226
Re: Muscle-up strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Good ideas.

I also gave you some good ideas in my post about transition which you seemed to have glossed over... Also, the muscle up vids on the mainpage are good as well. Think about doing them through the transition; it's basically a type of row where you're pulling your hands all the way to your armpits and thrusting the elbows back behind you as you lean forward and put your head through the cables.

And yes, deadhang muscle ups are DEFINIETLY possible. I'm 135 lbs and I've done one with +65 lbs attached to me which is ~200 lbs so you can do one too.
Hmm I think this will help as well as the other advices ty!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #9
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer
Member Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Glenmont  NY
Posts: 1,427
Re: Muscle-up strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
I got muscle up happy when I first got my rings; the result- a dull ache in both of my arms that would last for about a half hour after I finished working, sometimes a little more.

I learned very quickly that I needed to take it easy, especially with volume, and also with the dip portion, which can be taken quite a bit deeper than bar dips, and as such can put a lot of strain on the muscles of the chest and shoulder if one isn't ready for it. my upperbody isn't particularly strong though, so your mileage may vary. For comparison, I weigh around 185 at 6 ft tall, and my latest SS workout had me benching 172x5x3 and OHP 105x5x3, both of them being hard for me. I can dead hang pull up around 8 reps for 3 sets.
Steven, I remember your advising me to get the false grip pullups. I am wondering if that might be part of the picture here.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Steven Quadros
Member Steven Quadros is offline
 
Steven Quadros's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn  NY
Posts: 433
Re: Muscle-up strain

Absolutely a possibility; the false grip feels like it puts a ton of stress on my forearms. I'm learning now that I need to work my way into things slowly, and that everything will come with time and hard work. It may be frustrating sometimes, but it's better to allow adaptation over a period of time, rather than expecting to be able to do things after a short time period of very intense work. I want to be doing this for a long time, not doing it hardcore for a short period.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shoulder strain Derek Maffett Injuries 3 03-16-2008 10:55 PM
Lower Back Muscle Strain Ashley Rogers Injuries 2 01-07-2008 11:53 AM
Need Advice on Possible Muscle Strain Paul Scott Suliin Injuries 8 04-13-2007 08:46 AM
Back strain Jason Billows Injuries 5 04-06-2006 06:41 AM
Does "extra" muscle mass put strain on the heart? Ben Jackson Fitness 10 05-31-2005 01:59 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.