CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #41
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Here's the basic sauerkraut recipe taken from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook:

1 medium cabbage, cored and shredded
1 T caraway seeds
1 t sea salt
4 T whey (I use raw milk whey)

Mix cabbage with caraway seeds, salt and whey. Pound with a wooden mallet for 10 minutes to release juices. (You could do this CF style - how many mallet strikes can I do for ten minutes?). Place in a wide mouth quart jar and press down firmly until juices come to the top of the cabbage. The top of the cabbage should be at least 1" below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature about 3 days before placing in cold storage. The kraut can be eaten immediately, but it tastes better if it ages.

I made the mistake several times of not getting the juice over the cabbage. It didn't look or smell OK. I think it was molding....while I might have been able to scoop away the moldy stuff I didn't trust it. When I added extra whey to provide coverage the problem was solved. Very tasty.

You can add carrots, onions, oregano and red pepper flakes (omit the caraway seeds) to the basic recipe to spice things up.

Pineapple chutney:

1 small pineapple peeled and cubed
1 bunch of cilantro
1 T fresh grated ginger
2 T fresh lime juice
1/4 whey
1/2 c water

Mix pineapple, cilantro and ginger and place in wide mouth quart jar. Press down lightly and mix lime juice, salt and whey with water and pour over pineapple. Add more water if needed to cover the pineapple. The chutney should be at least 1" below top of jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature 2 days then tranfer to cold storage. Eat within two months.

My first couple batches were great. This last one I screwed up and didn't completely submerge the pineapple. I pulled it out of the fridge and every piece of pineapple that was exposed had mold growing on it. Really drown that pineapple!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #42
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Crossfit WOD: back squat 3x5

Beltless barefoot ATA back squat: 175, 195, 200, 205, 210. All reps strong. ATA depth is much more challenging than just below parallel, especially when not wearing heeled shoes. My hip flexors and everything else is so sore from my weekend at the MBG cert that I opted to work greater ROM rather than have more weight on my back.

7 minute 16k kb snatch set: 68L/68R. Almost 20 rpm pace. Grip fatigued from yesterday's 22 rpm 6 minute snatch set.

I spent a lot of time playing at MBG in addition to learning. Lots of climbing yesterday in different planes and different ways including fingertip climbing up a wall (very cool), traveling rings, ropes, free hanging angled bars and angled parallel bars. Hip flexors very sore from yoga postures and the jumping/running portion of the cert. Shoulders and triceps feeling the love from all the pushups and handstand work.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #43
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Major snow storm hit Wisconsin yesterday....it took me an hour and 15 minutes to make the 20 minute drive into work. I was stuck in snow drifts on the road four times (thankfully a pack a shovel in the trunk) and got rear ended by someone who could not see me during the whiteout. No significant damage to the car but my left shoulder didn't like the impact. Shoveled snow for several hours when I arrived home and for several more hours throughout this morning. Left shoulder is really hurting now. I may be avoiding workouts that involve my shoulder for a while. Jumping rope may become a favorite endeavor...not a bad idea as I can't jump rope and it could use some focused effort.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #44
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Hope your shoulder feels better soon Kelly and thanks for the recipes. Now for the dummy question, where do I get/make whey from?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #45
Tom Brose

Profile:

Thanks for the amazing offer Kelly. i will come up sometime, but have a place to stay. Definitly want to hang out, pick your brain and buy you a meal. Thanks for the feedback on CNT.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #46
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brose View Post
Thanks for the amazing offer Kelly. i will come up sometime, but have a place to stay. Definitly want to hang out, pick your brain and buy you a meal. Thanks for the feedback on CNT.
Tom, think you can actually buy Kelly a meal out?? What would she eat? This is mean to be serious since I know I have difficulty eating out and Kelly appears more stringent !!
Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #47
Catherine Imes

Profile:

I can vouch for the fact that Kelly does indeed go out to eat. While she is very stringent with her diet, she does indulge every once in a while which is good. She likes a nice steak as much as anyone.

On the other hand, I do not posess her dietary discipline (but I'm working on it!)

CI
Old 02-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #48
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Major snow storm hit Wisconsin yesterday....it took me an hour and 15 minutes to make the 20 minute drive into work. I was stuck in snow drifts on the road four times (thankfully a pack a shovel in the trunk) and got rear ended by someone who could not see me during the whiteout. No significant damage to the car but my left shoulder didn't like the impact. Shoveled snow for several hours when I arrived home and for several more hours throughout this morning. Left shoulder is really hurting now. I may be avoiding workouts that involve my shoulder for a while. Jumping rope may become a favorite endeavor...not a bad idea as I can't jump rope and it could use some focused effort.
Be careful on the road, Kelly! My brother drives a cab in Madison--call him to drive you.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #49
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Tom - It would be great to see you again! A big rare steak just this side of mooing sounds great.

Sarena - I save my "cheat" meals for company....moderately hot thai curries sans rice, Pizza Extreme seafood pizza or the gyro salad at Micheal's in St Louis are always a welcome change of pace (as Catherine can attest).

Theresa - which company does he work for? My mother uses cabs frequently and if I can find a good driver she can request I would feel better.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #50
Kelly Moore

Profile:

7 minute snatch set after 90 minutes of snow shoveling - 70L/65R. Hand starting to cramp on final minute, could not maintain 20rpm. I knew attempting eight minutes was beyond my endurance today after the shoveling/accident/changed hours with poor sleep I've had this past week. I took things slow and deliberate on the WOD to keep the shoulder from yelling any more loudly than it is. I probably should have listened to my own advice and just done lower body stuff. It was dumb for me to do dips and wall ball. I have plenty of things I need to work on that don't **** off my shoulder.

The snow storm that smashed Wisconsin on Wednesday overwhelmed police and rescue resources. Reports are that the interstate was blocked for hours during the snow storm due to a couple semi's jack kniving across the highway. The National Guard was called in to help, but getting assistance where it was needed was a nightmare. Too many cars were blocking I90 and the drifting was too deep to drive around the cars off road. I handled dozens of calls from frantic people who were sitting in cars that ran out of gas and I was far from the interstate. The stranded motorists were freezing and some had older folks and little kids in the car. It's hard to say "hang on, help is coming" when you know it's going to be a very, very long wait.

The unsung heroes were the farmers and snowmobilers that took gas, blankets and other supplies to the stranded motorists. Latest reports were 500-2000 cars trapped on the interstate for hours....this has been a tough winter for Wisconsin.