CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #31
Erin Davidson

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Kelly, thanks so much for the food related post. I love all the fresh sounding food...made me eat my own lunch a bit early. I've also got so many things to try now! (Kale and apples in the fridge as we speak...) AND, I've done Carlson's Cod Liver Oil for a while now, but never heard of butter oil. I'll be reading up on that too. Thanks again. Keep up the great work!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #32
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Erin, check out www.drrons.com for more information. Butter oil is pricey but I'm willing to try it for several months and see if I notice anything. Considering all the full fat grassfed dairy products I eat and cook with it may be overkill.

Crossfit WOD:

Three rounds for time of:
225 Deadlift, 15 reps
15 Handstand push-ups
15 Pull-ups
95 pound Thruster, 15 reps

17:58 as RXed. I looked at this workout and decided I wanted this more than a six minute kb snatch set. I really wanted to see what I could do using the prescribed weight....I might do a snatch set after work tonight. My shoulders will be fatigued so it will be a good gut check.

This WOD was a painfest! High rep double bodyweight deadlifts are no fun during Diane and much more difficult after thrusters with 85% bodyweight. (I am so glad I have a Gerard trap bar for heavy high rep deadlifts - I can keep my back in a safer position than working my knees around a straight bar). As Rxed this WOD was more a strength endurance contest than metcon. I was stopped by lack of local strength than overall fatigue. Someday I'll scale it back to 165/65 and give it a different feel. I'm going to remember this one as one of my personal benchmarks.

Jerk at work in shower room: 6 min 20k jerk set 39L/42R. 13/14 rpm. Pace good and feeling strong, but the bone bruising pressure on my forearms is almost unbearable. The thought of adding even 30 seconds to each hand has me wondering if I can stand the pain.

At home: 6 minute 16k snatch set - 63L/64R 21/21 rpm. Pace solid, grip had no problems, hands in good condition. Could have gone perhaps another 30 minutes at that pace with each hand. This surprised me since I'm feeling fatigued from the WOD and the jerks.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #33
Erin Davidson

Profile:

Great work, Kelly. Especially with that WOD...GEEZ.

Also, thanks for the link. Always good to learn something new. AND, I tried to make something close to your green drink today. It was DELICIOUS.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #34
Tom Corrigan

Profile:

Kelly,

great article in the CF journal! Nothing like being a cover girl!

After reading your above post, you might need to cut way back on KB work to avoid a bone bruise. I developed one during the filming of my KB dvd in the Fall of 2004, from doing tons of reps during takes and re-takes and talking to camera while in the rack, etc., for days in a row for 5-7 hours... It hurt so bad and took about 6-8 weeks to fully recover.

You could still do lots of swings with a KB, but you'd have to jerk with a 35, 40 45 # DB to keep your conditioning.. Just a thought. I would hate to see a bone bruise de-rail your training!

Take care,

Tom
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #35
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Erin - Glad you like the green drink! I introduced Catherine Imes to them and she likes them too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one sporting a green teeth!

Thanks Tom. I've been struggling with the bruising issue since I started doing jerks. No matter where or how I try to hold the bell it's real painful. My bony little forearms just don't have enough padding. I'm trying to do kb work every other day with snatches in the morning and one jerk set the same day. That way I have a day's rest between kb workouts and hopefully it gives my forearms enough break to heal. If this doesn't work I may have to snatch as needed and jerk twice a week. It's all guessing right now.

No workout today. I'm taking a certification at Madison's Monkey Bar Gym this weekend - how cool to have such a high quality cert right in my home town. Thank you Catherine. This is an awesome Christmas gift!

I'm really sore from the combined efforts of the past several days. The 15s WOD, 10k row and hours of pushups, pullups, handstand work plus the swing/OH lunge/jerk kb workout yesterday at the MBG have me needing a rest day. Thankfully today covered jumping (box jumps and broad jumps, yippee), running (yippee), pistols (hey I can do that!) and jumping rope (yippee yet again). This was pretty much a rest day as I couldn't do most of the exercises at a high enough level to work me.

Yesterday I was given the challenge to do a VERY slow ring MU at the cert. Full extension to transition took about 10 seconds and I fought with everything I had for what seemed like forever to get through the transition to support. I am very pleased that I was able to pull it off after working my shoulders and triceps so hard during class. Those one arm/one leg pushups and that one arm handstand hold while lifting a 26# kb with the free hand were killer too.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:52 AM   #36
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
Erin - Glad you like the green drink! I introduced Catherine Imes to them and she likes them too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one sporting a green teeth!

Thanks Tom. I've been struggling with the bruising issue since I started doing jerks. No matter where or how I try to hold the bell it's real painful. My bony little forearms just don't have enough padding. I'm trying to do kb work every other day with snatches in the morning and one jerk set the same day. That way I have a day's rest between kb workouts and hopefully it gives my forearms enough break to heal. If this doesn't work I may have to snatch as needed and jerk twice a week. It's all guessing right now.

No workout today. I'm taking a certification at Madison's Monkey Bar Gym this weekend - how cool to have such a high quality cert right in my home town. Thank you Catherine. This is an awesome Christmas gift!

I'm really sore from the combined efforts of the past several days. The 15s WOD, 10k row and hours of pushups, pullups, handstand work plus the swing/OH lunge/jerk kb workout yesterday at the MBG have me needing a rest day. Thankfully today covered jumping (box jumps and broad jumps, yippee), running (yippee), pistols (hey I can do that!) and jumping rope (yippee yet again). This was pretty much a rest day as I couldn't do most of the exercises at a high enough level to work me.

Yesterday I was given the challenge to do a VERY slow ring MU at the cert. Full extension to transition took about 10 seconds and I fought with everything I had for what seemed like forever to get through the transition to support. I am very pleased that I was able to pull it off after working my shoulders and triceps so hard during class. Those one arm/one leg pushups and that one arm handstand hold while lifting a 26# kb with the free hand were killer too.
Kelly you have become an icon to so many of us with your hard work and determination. Can you give us some of your food recipes too--chutney, sauerkraut, green drink etc?? PLEASE!
Got my first Oly meet tday and cant sleep!!
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #37
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Good luck Sarena! Have a great time and set PRs.

I have the final day of the CNT cert today. I'll try to post some recipes for you. I take most of my ideas from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions book. She cooks like my great grandmother used to, along with the Amish who lived across the road. Good stuff.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
Delita Wright

Profile:

Kelly - my best to you today.

Thanks for your sharing. It all helps.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #39
Tom Brose

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
EThose one arm/one leg pushups and that one arm handstand hold while lifting a 26# kb with the free hand were killer too.
Really, a one arm handstand while lifting a kettlebell in the other is hard?

seriously, I'd love to hear bout the CNT. My friend Sarah works at MBG and is trying to get me to come out there for it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #40
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Tom,

Don't hesitate to go. It is an excellent cert. There is a lot of focus on identifying and addressing alignment issues that limit mobility, athletic performance and overall health. The progressions they teach for different movements are very similar to Crossfit (the pulling/pushing/squatting movements-the CF certs I've attended didn't address some of the other movements), but they start the progressions from a yoga/alignment perspective. Very good stuff. I strongly recommend it.

If you attend and need a place to stay, I live in Madison about 10-15 minutes easy drive from the gym. If you like cats you are welcome to stay at my place.