CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #121
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Very sore glutes, hams and calves from the Eva WOD. I see that OPT finished a couple minutes faster than I; I wondered if I had miscounted somehow to have finished so close to his time except that he rowed instead of running. When I've rowed Helen instead of running, I have always found it more difficult to do swings and pullups. Rowing taxes the grip and back and I need both for swings and pullups. OPT did a harder version of Eva than the rest of us.

Skipped the CF WOD of presses, push presses and jerks for one 10 minute 16k jerk set. 16R/17L rpm. I'm glad I can still do that many jerks as I haven't done many of them lately.

Both forearms are very tender and bruised from the bell resting on them. The agony started within the first dozen reps with the left and about 2 minutes into the set with the right. This isn't the kind of pain I can work through frequently; it feels like the bell is grinding into a narrow ridge of bone that has zero muscle or fat padding. It becomes more unbearable the more often I practice sets.

I wrap and pad my forearms and it does not help. This pain was almost intolerable and I was dreading jerks during last year's training (that's definitely not like me). I have greatly reduced the number of jerk sets this year but the pain returns almost immediately. I've tried moving the bell onto different places and I've tried holding the bell differently with no luck. I can and have worked through some intense pain while training the past 25 years, but this is a different animal.

It's a good thing snatching the bell doesn't hurt...I know where my primary focus will have to be until I can find a way to rack the bell without so much pain.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #122
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Why KBs, Kelly? What prompted your interest in training with them?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #123
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Kelly, hey it's your friend Jen! I would love to see what you mean when your saying
"Keeping my elbows a little bent and following the bell with a "spine neutral head carriage" really worked. Bent elbows shortened the arc so I wasn't yanking my back during the downswing and following the bell (not bending the neck so I was looking forward or up) allowed more momentum to be generated during the swing"
You talked about this when you saw my vid last week. I'm not sure I'm visualizing it correctly.
I'm not sure that me swinging a 72# Bell right now is the smartest thing to do, but I can swing the 20k. I'll have to make this "EVA" a modification. Ring rows(pull-ups) and a lighter bell. It kills me to go to a lesser weight but hey, I want to still be doing this in 10 or 15 years!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #124
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Theresa, KB's are great for one armed folks like us!
Old 02-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #125
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Conlin View Post
Theresa, KB's are great for one armed folks like us!
Have you been concerned about asymmetry and/or compensatory injuries?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #126
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Yes, but what can ya do. Just have to take care of what we have. I'm bigger on my right side since my injury. Really can't do much about that. Just try to listen to my body and be smart...like today I took off unplanned so that I can push a little harder on Tuesday.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #127
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Theresa,

I focused on kettlebell competitions because I have access to a very talented coach. Not only is Catherine Imes a great coach, but I feel she is the best kb athlete in the US. I respect what she has done more than anyone else currently in the sport as she is not genetically gifted with large hands (her hands are even smaller than mine) or a build that lends itself well to the snatch or jerk.

If she could do it, then I knew I could too. The power of inspiration!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 PM   #128
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hey Jen! Keep rehabbing that shoulder and train smart....don't be swinging the 2 pood my friend!

The neutral head/spine thing. Let me see....sometimes my explanations are clear as mud, but here's something that might help, especially to someone in your profession.

Think of it like this: have one of your fellow EMTs strap you onto a short backboard from the waist to your head. Stand up. Bend over like you are going to swing a kb. You can still bend at the hips but your head stays in line with your spine. You can't check out the well built bodies walking past during the bottom portion of the swing as your head must stay in line with your spine. You're not as old as I am, but it's like the old "drinking bird" toy you might have had as a kid. (If you ever meet Catherine Imes, ask her to demonstrate the drinking bird. It's really good after she's had a couple beers).

When I see folks looking up during a swing or snatch I can clearly see how they are shortening the stroke and losing momentum. I can really feel the difference it makes when I use the 72# kb....I struggle to get the bell to chin height if I look up and shorten the stroke, but I can get the same bell higher than head height pretty easy when I keep a neutral spine from the top of my head to my tailbone.

Here's are two video links (WFS) showing the neutral spine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeVAszF7xM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stORjc5XSdk
The first is Valery Fedorenko, the second is Catherine Imes. Notice how neither one is looking at the crowd or camera when the bell is between the legs? Neutral head carriage in relation to the spine...

Keeping the elbows slightly bent during the portion of the swing from the highest portion of the lift to roughly waist height takes the pain out of the bell's descent. The 2 pood is over half my bodyweight and it will snap me down, pop my back and maul my grip if I fail to shorten part of the arc by bending my elbows. When I try to maintain the "wrecking ball on the end of a chain" school of thought, the arc is too long and the shock of the bell's descent too great for me to perform safely. A little arm bend makes all the difference! My glutes and hams are plenty sore from Eva's heavy swings; my lower back and shoulders aren't. Believe me, before I got that bit of coaching from Catherine the 52# bell was leaving my lower back damn sore!

I really need some time away from work so I can get my video clips going.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #129
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Had to chase Yoshi-cat up and down the apartment hallway several times tonight before she let me catch her. About once a year she decides she needs to go for a walk. I wouldn't worry so much except that there are a lot of dogs in the building that would love to intercept a wandering Siamese.....

5 minutes jumping rope. Most attempts were in the low 40s, one was just over 100 jumps before tangling.

3x60 second 6" box jumps. Calves too sore to attempt anything higher. Good cadence and landings, 56 jumps per minute. 1 minute break between sets.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #130
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

That's funny about your cat! LOL.
I get what your saying about the swings. CI also got back to me and it sounds like I've got some relearning to do.
I'm assuming this works the same way with a two handed swing. I feel stupid since I've always been swinging the KB with out arm bend and even telling others to not bend there arms.....hummph!