CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
Steve Hutchins

Profile:
Hutch's Journey to CrossFit

Hey Everyone,

First off, before I tell you my story, I just wanted to say that I am amazed at how supporting everyone is on this website. I've been looking around at the workout logs, testimonials, diet help etc., and everyone here is nothing but supportive and helpful. I just want to say I am glad to be a member of such a community, and look forward to a future here at CrossFit.

As for myself. I was first introduced to CrossFit last year following the premiere of the movie "300." As I'm sure many of you were, everyone was marveling at the great shape and physical endurance of the actors in the movie. I was a part of that group, however, for 6 years prior to this point, I had been practicing isolated lifting. What I was doing was geared towards powerlifting, I was a football player, and a year ago, I was set on playing college football. I held the highest bench press at my school at 385 pounds, weighed 240, and was looking to annihilate the competition at college. When I first arrived at camp, everything was going great. I benched 355 for 3 reps, was on varsity after the 3rd day, and was getting reps against the starting defense (I played offensive line). That is until approximately two weeks into practice, I sustained a devastating back injury. A few days and an MRI later, I was told I had 2 herniated discs in my lower back. I could not play football anymore, it was hard to sit and stand in certain positions, and life just sucked. I had to make a choice.

Following my injury, my doctor told me that losing weight would help ease the stress on my back. So for three months, I dieted hardcore. In September I weighed 240 pounds, in December when I came home for Christmas, I weighed 198. I was shocked. I had not seen 198 on a scale in years! Coming off the success of this weight loss, I decided to get a membership at a local gym and begin getting myself into top shape. I decided it would be best for me.

Coming from such a different spectrum of working out, I have to say CrossFit was a little bit of a shock to my body. However, I am no stranger to the ethics and techniques of a CrossFit athlete, having completed the "300" workout in just over 21 minutes. I knew that it would be a long road to getting fit, but I have nothing but time and determination.

I came home weighing 198. That was four weeks ago. Today I weighed 188. I have shed 10 pounds of fat, and the muscle definition is huge! For the first time in my life, veins are appearing on my arms, my muscles are bulging and becoming more defined, and even the (gasp!) outline of a six-pack! I have to say, CrossFit is an intense and incredible path to take, but once you've started, you become addicted.

That's my story, and I hope you will welcome me into your community as I am ready to continue my CrossFit journey.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Re: Hutch's Journey to CrossFit

Steve--
We are glad that you're here!
Welcome o CrossFit!