CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #41
Gavin Harrison

Profile:
Re: 6 weeks of Starting Strength: 01/01-02/12

I wish I could join you.. I just ordered my SS book earlier this week off Amazon, and it isn't here yet. Also, I'm in the middle of a oly-lifting thing until March, which is when I'll start SS. I can't wait until March rolls around.. until then, I'll just read through the book and try to incorporate better form!

Also, I tried squatting without shoes on instead of my "skater shoes", and it was far superior I need to get a pair of lifting shoes, are Adidas weightlifting style shoes suitable for the squat / DL as well as the oly lifts?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 AM   #42
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I use weightlifiting shoes on all my lifts, just started two weeks ago but I really like it, using the VS Athletics one now. (wfs)
Old 01-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #43
Steven Rutledge

Profile:

What type of diet are you using, zone, paleo?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #44
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I follow CrossFit's general recommendation of "Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar." I eat when I'm hungry and follow these guideline. I measured a few years back but I just don't have time for that right now.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #45
Ryan Blair

Profile:

Are you doing whole milk? Are you doing any pullups or metcons or just strictly SS, with 4 days off a week, generally T, TH, SA, SU? I may hop aboard, just bought the book.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #46
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I'm following SS exactly as rx'd, three days / wk, no CF right now, and have been drinking a gallon of whole milk per day for two weeks.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #47
Stefan Borovina

Profile:

Aaron are you posting your numbers from each workout? I am interested to see how your diet is affecting your lifts.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #48
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Sure, I'll post my weight #'s tomorrow after we weigh in again.
So far I've gone up 10lb each time on squat, 15 on deadlift, 5 on bench and press, all as rx'd. On Thursday this week my 5x5 squat will be at my previous 1 rep max. Woo-hoo!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #49
Luke Pliakis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Paepke View Post
Just want to mention that I'm on board with SS, too (I started on Monday).

Since I'm very new to the iron game and quite weak, I started with just the bar to allow me to focus on form for the first few workouts (as suggested in the similar "Strong Lifts 5x5" program). My plan is to slowly increase my working weight each workout for the next twelve weeks, then re-evaluate my situation.

Unfortunately, I can't do the milk thing (definite intolerance to dairy) and I'm trying to ween myself off gluten (another suspected food intolerance). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to eat more of in order to keep my calorie count up enough to build some muscle? Or should I just continue to eat clean and not worry too much about adding more calories since I'm 40 pounds overweight?

-Fred.
I'm LP from this SS workout. I've been lactose intolerant my entire life. I started drinking milk again in the middle of December, and also started taking fish oil on a regular basis since I read somewhere the Omega 3 might help. After roughly a month I'm able to put down 3/4 of a gallon to a gallon a day with the only problem being I feel full all the time. The major side effect I had was having to run to the bathroom a few times a day, but even that has happened less and less each day. Maybe it's just all in my head, but I don't think I would be able to continue these workouts without having had the milk.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #50
Fred Paepke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Pliakis View Post
I'm LP from this SS workout. I've been lactose intolerant my entire life. I started drinking milk again in the middle of December, and also started taking fish oil on a regular basis since I read somewhere the Omega 3 might help. After roughly a month I'm able to put down 3/4 of a gallon to a gallon a day with the only problem being I feel full all the time. The major side effect I had was having to run to the bathroom a few times a day, but even that has happened less and less each day. Maybe it's just all in my head, but I don't think I would be able to continue these workouts without having had the milk.
How much Omega 3? I've been really good about consuming fish oil every day for a while, maybe I'll pick a Saturday to experiment with drinking milk again (a weekend where I don't have to leave the house).

Other than an occasional lapse of judgment, I've been eating cleaner than ever for the last three weeks. I feel really good. I've also lost a few pounds of fat.

Currently, I'm in week 2 of SS and working my way up by 5-10 pounds per workout from an empty bar. It's my way of easing back into exercise after being crippled this fall from illness after illness; and it's a great way to spend more time trying to learn the moves - though I've got to confess that I'm really having a difficult time getting the power clean down. It'll be a few weeks before I hit my max on any of my lifts, so I've probably got a little time before my lack of milk becomes an issue.

Thanks for the info. I'll give milk another shot in a week or two.

-Fred.