CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 AM   #31
Fred Paepke

Profile:
Re: 6 weeks of Starting Strength: 01/01-02/12

Just want to mention that I'm on board with SS, too (I started on Monday).

Since I'm very new to the iron game and quite weak, I started with just the bar to allow me to focus on form for the first few workouts (as suggested in the similar "Strong Lifts 5x5" program). My plan is to slowly increase my working weight each workout for the next twelve weeks, then re-evaluate my situation.

Unfortunately, I can't do the milk thing (definite intolerance to dairy) and I'm trying to ween myself off gluten (another suspected food intolerance). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to eat more of in order to keep my calorie count up enough to build some muscle? Or should I just continue to eat clean and not worry too much about adding more calories since I'm 40 pounds overweight?

-Fred.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #32
Greg Privitera

Profile:

Eat clean and your body will find its natural weight.

Smart thinking to just use the bar for now to learn form.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #33
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I'm finally starting to be hungry again on top of the gallon per day. Maybe my metabolism is catching up?
It's so nice to feel hungry.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Fred, welcome aboard. If you can't do milk I'd do high # block zone. Rippetoe really emphasizes the value of the milk though, strength gains just aren't the same without it and he says no substitutions. I think there are lactaid pills you can take with it.

For some people you can start with 1 glass the first day, 2 the 2nd, etc and the body can slowly start to produce more enzymes it needs for milk. I tested myself at 1/2 gal per day before I started.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #35
Fred Paepke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
Fred, welcome aboard. If you can't do milk I'd do high # block zone. Rippetoe really emphasizes the value of the milk though, strength gains just aren't the same without it and he says no substitutions. I think there are lactaid pills you can take with it.

For some people you can start with 1 glass the first day, 2 the 2nd, etc and the body can slowly start to produce more enzymes it needs for milk. I tested myself at 1/2 gal per day before I started.
Aaron, thanks for the suggestions. I'm allergic to just about everything under the sun; yet, oddly my greatest issue with dairy isn't an allergy to it or a digestion issue, but with the way it magnifies the effects of my other allergies. It sounds nuts, but if I take in any significant amount of dairy it seems like I react to other allergens more severely. Even whey based protein powder gets to me.

Now, there is a chance that the test my allergist did to test for a dairy allergy gave a false negative, but I've learned that my life is best when I avoid it. I'm really touchy about food triggers this year because I've been sick a half dozen times since September. I'm working with my doctor to try to sort this out, but until we know what's going on I'm playing it safe and trying not to venture into foods that I know will set me off. (For the curious: I think I'm involved in a thread under another section of this message board regarding this topic).

For now I'm going to eat as clean as I can, bump up my protein intake a little (it's a little lower than it should be), and see how things turn out after 12 weeks. I think I'm new enough to weight training that I might still be able to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I'll update this thread occasionally with my numbers to see how I compare to everyone else.

Thanks!

-Fred.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #36
John Sigler

Profile:

This thread is perfect timing for me. I've been mostly out of action off and on since June due to several lingering injuries (knee, elbow, shoulder) which my impatience/ignorance kept from healing properly. I started back on CF in November but feel like I'm in the need of some strength gains and finally healed enough (I hope), so I started SS this past week.

Male, 47, 6'0, 197# - about 10-12# more than it should be thanks to inactivity and poor eating habits the past 6 months.

Starting 1RMs: DL 300# (est), Back Squat 255#, Press 150#, Bench 235# (est), Power Clean 165# (est). Started at 75% of 1RM weight which seemed about right - although standing Press felt a little heavy and DL felt a little light.

I'm drinking about 1/2-gallon a day to start. I'll check weight and bodyfat to see if I can increase further but I'm leery of gaining much more bodyfat. Taking the first 2 weeks off from WODs and then I'll add one a week in and see how I feel.

1st two workouts were pain free though my knee is a bit sore today. I may go ahead and sub front squats for the mid-week squat workout - they don't seem to aggravate it as much for some reason.

john
Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #37
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Another gallon down.

My squats are starting to feel much more natural, and so also stronger. All is well so far.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #38
Mike Groth

Profile:

CF total came up as the WOD for our gym today so I figured I would test out where Im at so far. My squat went up 60lbs, press up 15lbs, and my deadlift is up about 25lbs.

Squat 315
Press 175
Dead 365
Total 855

That was the first time Ive had over 300lbs on my back. I was stoked to get 3 wheels...I almost got stuck but still got it. I almost had 386 on the deadlift but it wasnt meant to be yet. This is after about 6 weeks of SS. As for diet it has been what my friends call "dirty bulking". I have gained fat but the strength gains are worth it. And the fat will burn off when I go zone and hit CF again.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #39
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Great Mike, it's great to hear these things about SS. I look forward to similar results!
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #40
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Week one is ovah!