CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
Lise Couturier

Profile:
Unhappy New To Cf

Hi! to any one willing to help me. Im 41 years old and in last two years I have such a difficult time trying to maintain. I workout five days a week an hr of cardio and weight lifting. I eat clean...... no sugar, no flou,r no processed food, no diet food and still I've gained 7lbs in two years.
I've been doing CF for a week it's great! I will continue for a few mths to see if theres a difference in my body. I'm just a little worried about getting big as in masculine and yes I did read everything for beginners to CF.
Any one care to help.

Greatly appreciated
Lise,
Old 09-14-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
Re: New To Cf

watch the crossfit videos. you see any of those gals looking manly? even if that is someone's definition of manly, it sure beats the hell out of looking flabby.

i lift as heavy as i can. i dont eat in the zone, but not much junk either. i'm pretty cut/defined, low body fat (around 16%) and my husband would definetly tell me if i were geting too big. he hates the bulky woman look.

maybe we can get veronica to post a few pics of herself. now that is reassurance! she's like 120 lbs soaking wet and does competitive lifting.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

Unless you are pumping something illegal into your blood, as a woman, you can't end up looking manly.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Hi Lise~
Welcome to CF~
I turned 41 this year, have a background in fitness, left it 10 years ago, continued to "workout" but nowhere as intense, gained 20lbs! Everyone told me it was the age/women thing. Started CF 2 months ago and have noticed an incredible difference in body composition and weight loss. Try CF and see what happens~
Lisa Q
Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Lise,

My wife started CF a year ago in July at the age of 49. She is religious about the WOD, scaled to her ability, and even insists on the full CF warm-up including pull-ups, even when the WOD is pull-up centric. She's lost only about 8 lbs (I think she's about 128), but 6-8 dress sizes. I remember her first Linda: Deadlifts were 45#. Last week she hit 215#. She works as a school administrator and women ask her on a daily basis where she trains and with whom (yours truly). One woman asked her how to get arms like that, but when told "lots of pull-ups" she quickly lost interest. IMHO, she looks anything but manly. Her goal was abs like Nicole's and she's getting close a month after turning 50. I second Connie's comments. Check out the women of CrossFit.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Welcome, Lisa.

I sympathize with your frustration, some things get more challenging for us women of a certain age, like weight control. I was in a similar situation, I think, prior to starting Crossfit. I did about an hour of cardio/day plus a circuit in the weight room using machines and some dumbbells. For a couple of years, this was sufficient, because I'd never lifted before, but then my gains started really leveling off. I just couldn't seem to get stronger working muscles in isolation, and I couldn't wear myself out doing cardio anymore.

I asked my trainer to help me bump it up a notch, and the next thing I know, I'm doing Crossfit. (Be careful what you wish for, eh?)

You won't get manly, you'll get strong. Strong isn't bulky, strong is lean.

Stick with it.
Susie
Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:

40 yo woman here too.
Crossfit is great for keeping mind and body interested. The only thing is, make sure you scale as much as you need to. I have a tendency to push too hard and end up injured (though most of my injuries are long standing ones from when I was young and stupid )
I certainly am not manly - and I've 20 years of weight training under my belt. I actually wish I could get bigger arms and shoulders but they're very resistant to growing. Sigh.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Jason Peck

Profile:

Glad you found CF. Welcome aboard and keep us posted of your progress!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Lise,
Try not to worry. I cannot imagine a woman getting "too big" by doing functional movements at high intensity without steroids.

Most bulky/manly women are just too fat and CF is not going to make that likely at all.

Just look at some of the many videos with Eva, Annie or Nicole in them!

They may be awesome, but they sure are not "manly".

Please don't shortchange yourself!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #10
Jose Ricardo Salcedo

Profile:

When I look for specific results, I look for people who are where I want to be, and I find out how they did it. I found those results in CF several times over in all aspects of fitness. As stated, look at the girls in the vids. They look great, and not manly at all.
As for trying to maintain, I did Army PT for years, and eventually found a place where my progress came to a dead stop. All workouts were done with extreme cardio work or lots of muscle failure (seldom both, like CF), but I wasn't getting results. After two months of CF, I made measurable improvements (i.e. max APFT score of 300 for the first time) that were greater than those experienced from the years of Army PT. So, it's great that you're doing something, but [i]what[i] you're doing is equally important.