CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #541
Nicholas Ferrara

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

Ok, so I made it 1/2 way through the thread.

I have been eating Paleo pretty strict since Mid November last year. I find I tend to loose lots of weight during a week when I cheat and stay steady on the weeks were I eat clean. I am never hungry, and I eat fatty meats, but sometimes I wonder if I am eating enough calories. I am losing an average of 2lbs a week over the past 5 months, but having some ice cream would be awesome. When you don't drink anything other than water a protein shake is like a frickin milk shake and eating a banana with some nutbutter tastes like candy.... I am still overweight, 5'8" and 239lbs, but that is a far cry from the 280 I hit last year. I have a pretty big frame, so I will never be one of those 160lb guys - and I don't want to be that scrawny anyway!

So I guess the real question, should I go buy some Ice Cream already?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #542
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I've been using some I e cream for my backload days. Chocolate chip mint ice cream mixed with peanut butter.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #543
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
I've been using some I e cream for my backload days. Chocolate chip mint ice cream mixed with peanut butter.
sounds amazing
Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #544
Julie Lee

Profile:

so...how's this working for people?

this is sort of in-line w/ the carb backloading principle, right?

sorry...i'm a newb.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #545
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Lee View Post
so...how's this working for people?

this is sort of in-line w/ the carb backloading principle, right?

sorry...i'm a newb.
Is this in line with CBL? Hmm. Not really, unless it were combined with low carb at other times. Ultimately I'm not sure anyone ever came up with a good working theory. It was pure black box. Maybe ice cream before bed made people eat less the next day?

Back when this was fresh I tried ice cream before bed but the data was pretty useless because I had no baseline from before and I don't tend to gain wait except when I'm trying to.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #546
Julie Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Is this in line with CBL? Hmm. Not really, unless it were combined with low carb at other times. Ultimately I'm not sure anyone ever came up with a good working theory. It was pure black box. Maybe ice cream before bed made people eat less the next day?

Back when this was fresh I tried ice cream before bed but the data was pretty useless because I had no baseline from before and I don't tend to gain wait except when I'm trying to.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #547
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

So I gave this a go. Tend to be a hard gainer and thought some extra easy carbs would give me a caloric boost. I didn't have much. I would buy a 1.6L tub and it would last me easily all week so I was doing maybe 250ml at a time which works out to around 300 extra calories a day.

Anyway, didn't lean out or help me put on muscle. Mostly just got soft around the middle. YMMV on this one I guess.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #548
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
So I gave this a go. Tend to be a hard gainer and thought some extra easy carbs would give me a caloric boost. I didn't have much. I would buy a 1.6L tub and it would last me easily all week so I was doing maybe 250ml at a time which works out to around 300 extra calories a day.

Anyway, didn't lean out or help me put on muscle. Mostly just got soft around the middle. YMMV on this one I guess.
Extra 300 cal made you soft around the middle?
I was pretty diligent about eating 3-5 pints per week (an extra 3000-5000 calories per week) on top of my normal diet. I gained 12 pounds and definitely got broader across the chest and shoulders. I did get a little soft in the middle but I still "haz abz". Not bad for a 43 year old guy on the declining T side
Of life.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #549
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ya I was wondering why that even happened. Extra 300 cal really isnt much in the grand scheme. I used to have abs.

Part of the bigger issue is I used to work physical jobs. Then I got an office job. Then I stopped CF for 6 months and did TM. During TM I put on muscle only which was surprising and awesome. Finally hit 200lb and I was the strongest I had ever been. Then I took 3 weeks off and lost almost 10lb (poor life choice). Then I started back up on Outlaw which is going well now. Somewhere between all of those choices I started to build up around the middle and pretty much lost all ab definition. I'm guessing with Outlaw now it's going to take another month or two but it'll reverse yet.

Only reason I blame the ice cream is cause body fat seemed to start disappearing again when I started back on Outlaw then when I started on the cream that halted and started coming back again. I still got some more tubs so I'll give it a bit with none and see what happens. Ultimately it'd be nice to gain a few more pounds and float over 200 but I'd obviously prefer it be muscle. I wish I had gone straight from TM to Outlaw instead of taking the break. The break was foolish.

Last edited by Jordan Derksen : 07-10-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #550
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Perhaps more water from more carbs? It is tough to say but 300 calories ought not cause many problems unless it is 300 too many.